Good reads? Come here. Need suggestions.

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by HalfBakedOregon, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Just started reading 'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu, and I'm looking for more books that are knowledgeable like that. Trying to learn new things about life, us as humans, books about what's good for our bodies in all aspects of life, books about what really happened in history (not what we're taught in school), and untold history of the world and civilizations, especially ones revolving recent times (ie past 500 years).

Any suggestions appreciated!! Thanks.

Killuminati

2. Bumpin

Killuminati

3. Aldous Huxley seems part way up your alley. Brave New World, The Doors of Perception/Heaven and Hell.

Short stories by Franz Kafka such as A Hunger Artist... while metaphorical, they are all about the human condition. Same with short stories by Kurt Vonnegut (Report on the Barnhouse Effect, Harrison Bergeron), Fyodor Dostoyevsky (The Dreams of a Ridiculous Man, White Nights, The House of the Dead) or even The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams if you don't mind a bit of satire. It appears you are more interested in non-fiction but I'm mentioning these because there are a lot of great fictional reads that still reflect on the things you mentioned and offer much perspective on philosophy, politics, religion and humanity overall.

The Prince by Machiavelli is a classic. Personally I think the dude was an idiot but his writing is not entirely useless.

Blink and The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. Both books delve into social sciences; more specifically, why certain isolated phenomena can suddenly become widespread, and why situations can suddenly swing from one extreme to another. Decent books if you are into human behavior and understanding consumerism.

Then of course you have Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, Galileo...

I'm not a big history buff so maybe someone else will have some suggestions for you on that topic...

4. Looks like OP got banned.

Anyway, I'll recommend The Psychedelic Experience by Timothy Leary and Associates. It tackles the Tibetan Book of the Dead from the perspective of a psychonaut. Good read, with insights that ring true for even non-psychedelic experiences.

5. Kama Sutra, The Republic, The Wealth of Nations, The Emperors Handbook, The Politics, The Idiot, A People's History of the United States, Three Kings, The God Complex, The God Delusion, Infinite Jest, Surely You're Joking Mr. Fineman,
    Federalist Papers, Paradise Lost, Foucaults Pendulum...I think you would like those

6. Why People Believe Weird Things by Robert Sherman. It's basically a treatise on why skepticisim is an important and invaluable tool for human learning and knowlege. It got me thinking, and checking my own beliefs, asumptions and thought procesces for falacies and irrationality. It's also well written and interesting.

Anything by Carl Sagan. The man is just great. An excellent scientist, unending dreamer, and he was a stoner too. Rest in peace, Carl. I wish I knew you.

If you liked the art of war, try Machiaveli's "The Prince." It's a pretty good read too.

For something hilarious, but still clever, go for Terry Pratchett's "Discworld' series, and Douglass Adams' "Hitchiker's guide to the Galaxy." Both are excellent satire.

Best for last:
    Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon The Deep. Its a scifi novel, but probably one of the best books of any kind I've ever read. Garanteed to blow minds. Will not dissapoint.

7. Carl Sagan is just a great excellent scientist.

------------------
    if your wearing uk erotic lingerie for sale online that makes you feel sexy, you're halfway thereto turning heads.