Good Novels for stoned reading.

Discussion in 'General' started by Doke Smoper, Sep 8, 2013.

1. If you like horror/supernatural stuff I would suggest the Dean Koontz Frankenstein series, in it both the monster and the Doctor have survived independently to modern times.  The Monster (calling himself Deucalion) seeks to destroy his creator once and for all, using mystical abilities he gained after centuries spent in monastery's.

If you like science fiction then read the Dan Simmons series called The Hyperion Cantos.  Not even going to try to explain that one (it takes hours to explain in person let alone typing). 

I'm currently reading book three of the series A Song of Fire and Ice (Game of Thrones). 

What are you guys reading, and any suggestions for good stoner books?

2. Currently reading chariots of the gods. Could get through it in a day if I didn't have a migraine. I don't know why but I can't read fiction anymore. 

I prefer fiction, usually fantasy or science fiction.  I like series of novels, that doesn't really happen in non-fiction otherwise I would name some.  The only non-fiction I read is in the style of survival guides and historical accounts. You should read the book "How to Suvive the End of the World as we know it".  It was written by a former special ops soldier who currently lives off the grid.  Interesting stuff.

4. I heard "A Time Traveler's Guide to the Universe" is pretty good, I haven't read it so I don't if it's good for stoned reading lol

5. Anything by Carlos Castaneda. His first 3 books, teachings of Don Juan, a seperate reality, and journey to ixtlan are kind of like a journal he writes while being trained in Mexican-Indian sorcery/shamanism. Lots of hallucinogenic unmentionables involved, extremely interesting.

6. I am starting to read  In The Heart of The Sea. I just finished up Isn't it Pretty to Think so? By Nick MIller, and I can tell you it was a great stoner read. I just love reading when I am really relaxed, and stoney. It's a great thing, because you feel productive, and your imagination kicks into overdrive, and it's just great.

7. #8 Mungo ManToker, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
    Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

The Dresden Files series - Jim Butcher

The Electric Kool-aid acid test :smoke: - Tom Wolfe (and Ken Kesey to an extent)

8. #9 squidrick420, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
    Anything by William Burroughs, Jack Kerouac, and Allen Ginsberg. I would also say that Junot Diaz is an excellent author when your stoned because he writes with a very humanistic tone while maintaining a balance between third person and second person which is a rare feature in literature. Other recommendations are Oscar Wilde, Margret Atwood, and Kurt Vonnegut; and if you are a history nerd like me then Ovid's Metamorphosis is an enlightening read as well as Homer's Iliad and The Odyssey.

9. Is that a rip off of "A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"? <-----fun book btw. Right on to Mungo for Ender books, Orson Scott Card is an awesome sci-fi writer, stephen king, and all the oldies like jules vern and H.G. wells, But never forget Frank Herbert and DUNE!!!

10. The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse is a great read either way.

11. The Portrait of Dorian Grey is really good. However if you can't really get through ye old english, super poetic style of dialogue, then I suggest a more updated or reprised version. But the original is great, I haven't finished it yet though since when I'm high, I have to re-read some passages multiple times to understand what the fuck they are saying..

Also Harry Potter, not because it's popular, but because the way JK writes. It's super simple to understand and when I'm high and reading that book, it's so easy for me to get lost in the storyline and visualizations!

Another one is The lottery by shirley jackson. It's kinda like the Purge but a little different. This small village has a day where you have to get a lottery ticket, and whoever has the winning one is stoned to death. It's a really short read, chilling and just plain fucking good.

12. Yeah Ive read the harry potters they are very neatly written.  Ive read about half of Dorian Grey.  I read the Lottery when I was in school, another good book from the school type section is Flowers For Algernon.  About the mentally handicapped guy who through medicine gets turned into a super Genius and then slowly reverts back. 

13. That's probably what I meant lol

14. my current book is "Society and Technological Change".  it may be for a class, but i'm already on chapter 8. (this week's assignments are over chapter 4).  it is fascinating.  i am also reading "chemistry: the central science"....on chapter 6, starting chapter 3 in class on tuesday.