Good metal/hardcore bands to look into

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Perfekt, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Hello everyone!

Just thought I would make a forum for other people that like hardcore/metal to suggest new bands to check out, because who doesn't like finding new, good music?. If you are going to flame how bad the genre is etc please don't post you just make yourself look ignorant.

Anyway, here are my top 5 bands at the moment that I listen to:

Protest the Hero - really fast tempo, nice guitar work, more metal than hardcore.
    Unearth - Also very fast tempo and nice guitars, very fast double bass also, mix of metal and hardcore
    36 Crazyfists - At first I was not into these guys, but they have grown on me, their first CD is more metal than their second which is a little more hardcore.
    Bullet for My Valentine - Very good, they are all around a great band, they are 100% metal.
    Trivium - Their older CDs are VERY good (Ascendancy and Ember to Inferno). Their newest CD I personally do not like because it sounds a LOT like metallica and I absolutely hate metallica = \.

I hope this was helpful to someone, if not then it was a good way for me to procrastinate for things that I do not want to do! :D

Edit : Adding some more

Heaven Shall Burn - All CDs amazing, my favorites are Antigone and Deaf to Our Prayers. More hardcore than Metal.
    Terror - Straight up hardcore, very good!
    36 Crazyfists - New CD and one before are very good. Metal/Hardcore
    A Dozen furies - Really good Metal.
    The agony Scene - Most insane vocals ever, the singer sings like he just had his foot cut off, which sounds bad and I thought it did, until I listened. A good song to try out is Screams Turn to Silence.
    Becoming the Archetype - Metal

Check out Silent Civilian, they are good. A good song to check out is Funeral from Rebirth of Temple

2. Protest the hero is amazing. I first heard them over the summer and there whole new cd Keiza is awesome. I like the song turn soonest to the sea and herectics and killers..... Heres some other bands: A day to remember, across five aprils,darkest hour,still remains and the bled

3. all that remains

4. yeah i was gonna say all that remains too, there pretty sick

5. Shai Hulud - Hearts Once Nourished With Hope and Compassion

Poison the Well - Opposite of December

Between the Buried and Me - the Silent Circus

Into the Moat - The Design

Hopesfall - No Wings to Speak Of

- just a small list of some good Metal/Hardcore

6. I'm not really into hardcore (in fact I REALLY don't like it), but I'm a HUGE metalhead. Here are some great albums to check out.

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
    Fast, heavy, but very melodic. This band has some of the best guitar melodies in all metal.

Immortal - At The Heart of Winter
    Very cold, heavy, raw (but not too raw), epic, with some of the best riffs in metal.

Wintersun - Wintersun
    Once again very epic. Has a lot of folk qualities. One guy did all the work except for drums. He's a virtuoso guitar and piano/keyboard player.

Opeth - Still Life
    A very cool progressive band. Has some of the most interesting song structures, progressions, riffs, and melodies in metal. Amazing.

Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
    Probably the most emotional album I've ever heard. A great concept album with great, emotional, but powerful and twisted vocals, and great thrash/progressive guitars. Jeff Loomis can shred with the best of them.

Behemoth - Demigod
    Very new, but very amazing death metal. The songs are astounding.

Death - Symbolic
    A classic in death/thrash metal. Chuck Shuldiner created death metal and finally got progressive on his later releases (which this is). Once again the songwriting is unmatched in the genre. RIP Chuck.

I urge all of those who are into hardcore or metalcore or whatever, to check out some of these bands/albums, and be turned onto REAL metal!!!!!!

7. As I Lay Dying-From my hometown, their latest album Shadows are Security is definitely their best.

Boy Sets Fire
    Atreyu
    Underminded
    Killswitch Engage

Just a few good bands worth checking out that mix hardcore and metal very well.

As far as straight up metal though, naboo and metalstonerking definitely know what's up.

8. Agreed, except with the Demigod comment. That album was as commercial as any of the mainstream hardcore acts out there and didnt do Behemoth any real justice. REAL Behemoth is Svetland and From The Pagan Vastlands style Behemoth. Zos Kias Occultus is as far as ill go with Behemoth.

And with Death, I suggest ALL their albums. Not only because theyre all simply incredible, but because you can see the extreme progression of talent and melody within the band.

Other recommended Metal albums are...

Morbid Angel- Altars Of Madness
    Morbid Angel- Covenant
    Obituary- Slowly We Rot
    Hate Eternal- Conquering The Throne
    Nile- In Their Darkened Shrines
    Lord Belial- Enter The Moonlight Gate
    Limbonic Art- The Ultimate Death Worship
    At The Gates- Slaughter Of The Soul (The album that EVERY hardcore band trys to recreate)
    Cryptopsy- Non So Vile
    Testament- Practice What You Preach
    Exodus- Bonded By Blood
    Slayer- Reign In Blood, South Of Heave, Seasons In The Abyss
    Deicide- Deicide
    Immortal- Sons Of Northern Darkness (Heavier, with better drumming than At The Heart Of Winter)
    Kreator- Pleasure To Kill
    Nokturnal Mortum- Goat Horns (VERY progressive Black Metal)
    Pantera- Cowboys From Hell
    Utopia Banished- Check their site for their album
    Vital Remains- Dechristianize (VERY Heavy album with some of the cleanest most melodic leads ever created)

These are albums that I see as essential for anyone getting into extreme music.

Granted, some of these albums might be to heavy for some, if not most, but I feel they are great representations of the genre.

9. lol

i dont like any of these bands

haha

10. Way to show some maturity.

11. Hmm, I've heard some of Behemoth's early Black Metal stuff and it really didn't thrill me. In fact Zos Kia Kultus and Thelema.6 aren't my favorite death metal albums either (although they're good), but I really do believe that they really did something amazing with Demigod. I don't know, but I just love that album. I think they're going to keep getting better too. The Apostasy, their new album, comes out this summer and I can't wait.

Good list, by the way.

Oh and, yes, all Death albums are great. Symbolic is just my favorite.

12. DRI
    Municipal Waste :p
    Nuclear Assault
    Bones Brigade
    Cryptic Slaughter

13. If you like protest the hero then check out:
    Hope Conspiracy
    Alexisonfire (first cd, selftitled)

Abandoned Hearts Club is some crazy synth metal.
    In Flames new cd, Come Clarity is good.

14. slayer, slayer, and more slayer.

those words are spoken from a true hardcore addict. metalicca sucks in so many ways.

15. Between the Buried and Me! Extol, Nile and Meshuggah.....and Necrophagist

16. I dont listen to hardcore, but there are a couple good Deathcore bands, for a nice mixture of deathmetal and hardcore. Check out Suicide Silence and The Last Felony.

So yeah, onto my recomended list:

Death Metal: Kataklysm, Nile, Hate, Heinous Killings, Septycal Gorge, Dying Fetus

Viking: Amon Amarth, Falkenbach, Vintersorg, Wintersun

Black: Bathory, Aeons Confer, Silencer, Twilight, Burzum

Doom: Esoteric, Mourning Beloveth, Skepticism, Desire, Shape Of Despair

Its nice to see some metal heads in the city. \m/

17. become deaths vile parade. march on, embrace the violent mind.

18. Between the Buried and Me--listen to their song Selkies: The Endless Obsession
    UnderOATH
    Atreyu
    The Blood Brothers
    As Cities Burn [amazing]

19. right now, my thing is southern metal...shit like acid bath....but I also rock to atreyu, static-x, From autumn to ashes, and many others....

20. Metallica*, and old Metallica is awesome, i.e. Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning, and Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and Black Album, but Load, Reload, St. Anger all suck, and I'm sure the new one will too.

Slayer is of course sick as hell too.