Good idea?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by peacelovep0t, Jan 18, 2013.

1. So there's a stretch of private land behind my house surrounded by barbed wire. It's about 1 mile long by 1/3 mile wide. I've been hiking back there numerous times and its really nice. The land is used for cattle and I've never ever ever seen anyone else back there. SO, do you guys think it would be a good idea to camp back there for a night with a couple friends? Would a pack of about 9 coyotes be a problem?

Thanks.

2. Well if you know it belongs to some one else why would you think it is a good ideas who have a couple of friends go there for a couple days. Worst case scenario the owner comes along and has the right to shoot you all for "trespassing."

3. Whose land is it? If its yours, I'd say go for it. Coyotes ain't shit. Just take a gun. Or maybe a beating stick. Haha. Sounds like fun.

If its not your land though, I would ask the owner first, and also, please refrain from breaking the law. The last thing we need is another toker behind bars.

~One Love~

4. Yeah it's not my land that's the thing... I'm pretty sure it's in the ownership of some commercial company to be turned into shopping strips. But again, it's not actively used land.

I don't know I'm split::

5. I would say no go. If you want a good camping experience, just go to the closest campground.

~One Love~

6. Very true. We were just looking for the full on no campsite nature expirience haha.

7. Although I usually don't agree with trespassing on someones property, I say go for it

If the property is commercial and nobody actually lives on the property I see no harm in you and a couple friends spending one night there

with that said it is important that you respect the persons property......such as making sure that you take every piece of trash when you leave...or making sure that if you build a fire you check to see that there is no current burn ban...also make sure that the fire is small and in a well dugout pit surronded by rocks in an area with little to no wind to make sure you don't burn down any of the landowners property

as far as the coyotes go you and your friends will be perfectly fine... coyotes are going to be more scared of you and your friends than you think.

Also make sure NOT to bring a gun...very very stupid advice

the last thing you would want to happen is end up being caught by the police trespassing on someones property with a gun( even a .22)

Even if the gun is properly registered and the owner is over 18 it will still look extremely bad....and could turn a simple trespasing ticket into a "trespassing with a firearm charge" which could be VERY serious and in some cases a felony

here is a link with more about that : Criminal Trespassing Laws | eHow.com

If you follow all my advice than I say go for it and enjoy

8. I used to take a gun camping ALL the time. Especially when in mountain lion and bear territory. Its not stupid when it saves your life.

And I also advise to not break the law by trespassing. Very very stupid advice. Go to a campground or even hike to remote locations to camp. You don't wanna spend the whole night looking over your shoulder cuz you're scared of cops.

~One Love~

9. And where you hiking on someone's private property with a gun?

cause in some states its a felony

also he made no mention of bears or mountain lions so I have no idea why you would even bring them up. Furthermore if he and a couple friends need a gun to "Defend" themselves against a coyote than i don't really think that they are the types to go camping anyway

LOL I still don't know why you would bring up your "experiences" with a gun in bear country....lol he's talking about a small plot of land surronded by civilization

also if you did bring a gun hiking that means you were scared of being attacked...if i'm going hiking i don't want to spend the whole night looking over my shoulders for bears with my gun in my lap

10. Calm down, ma'am. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

~One Love~

11. Sorry...I just don't want to see another toker behind bars :D

trespassing - ticket

trespassing with a weapon - Jail

12. I told him not to trespass in the first place...

~One Love~

13. You are correct you did tell him not to trespass..but we all have to assume that one will break the law at some point in time(this is a GC afterall). I was just trying to make sure that if he did it, It would be in a manner that would least likely affect him and the property

i'm done with this thread

peacelovep0t i hope you have a good time no matter what you do

the12stringking...it seems like you like camping, I was just browsing the internet and although I don't know you very well from what I have read it seems like this New tent would be great for you...I even think it has a window for you to point your gun out of

Attached Files:

14. ^lol smh... But OP smoke a couple blunts with your friends get nice and high, and then if the coyote pack all start howling at the moon it would be trippy as fuck! I had it happen one time up in northern Michigan except i bet the coyote pack was about 15 heads. I could hear them from across the lake it was an unbelievable experience.

15. Coyotes are supposed to leave you alone but if your alone against an entire pack they might just decide to eat the fuck out of you and they're teeth are sharp as hell they're no joke.

16. fuckin go for it man, north america wasnt captured by a bunch of pussy settlers needing permission to go on land

17. I'd say go for it, if there are enough of you I really don't think that the coyotes would be much of a problem. If you're gonna be cooking and stuff though I'd try and get rid of any of the left over food stuffs since that'll make the animals more bold in terms of coming closer to your camp.

Its one night, what's the worse that could happen? Have fun!

18. OPs gonna get attcked by cyotes and then go to jaol

19. i don't often approve of trespassing, but as previously said by another blade, if its some large commercial lot with no current activity go for it.

just be sure its far enough from any roads where a small fire won't be seen and noise isn't an issue.

but leave it as you found it and don't cause any unnecessary damage to mother nature. when a tree falls it is essentially giving itself to the forest...that being said, look for standing dead trees or fallen limbs for firewood or shelter, don't cut down or even into any live trees unless its a survival situation.

and i wouldnt be worried about coyotes or any other animals as long as you can keep a fire going.

be safe and leave no trace

20. Most states in America they can shoot you for no reason if you're on their land. Not saying they would do that, but be careful.

It's hard as hell to go camping now, everything is private.