Good Cop vs Bad Cop

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nuttybong0, Jun 25, 2011.

1. I get the feeling that everyone on this site has mixed feelings about the role of the common patrol officer. I, myself have had quite a few close ones. Sometimes its just business, a cop on his beat or a regular traffic stop. Other times (I hate to think its just because of skin color), there is a strong suspicion that I'm being profiled( but admit it white boyz, you have no idea what its like having your possessions or bodily crevices "randomly" searched for drugs or weapons on a regular basis).
    I wanted to hear about your close calls, if it was "just business" or like me and alot of others out there, if sometimes it's just plain bullshit or abuse of power. I'll go first.
    Last christmas a friend and I were walking to the store for papers dutches and cigarettes at which point 2 officers observed my friend discarding a small object from his right pocket. Needless to say we were detained briefly for questioning. They exited their vehicle, guns drawn and pointed directly at our chests and demanded that we lay face down on the sidewalk. They proceeded to handcuff THEN question us. Do you have any drugs on your person or any thing that might cause harm to said officers(one white and one black). We said no, then they took our id cards and ran our names through their database, looking for outstanding violations. Both of us were clean at which point mi amigo exclaimed that it must be because we were black.(This is funny to me) The cop said but my partner is black then my friend said "that muthafucker is an Oreo, white on the inside"
    To make a long story short, we were released after a while (the small discarded object wasn't even searched for). At the time I worked part time at a 711, which alot of district officers would stop by and no bullshit I would give any cop in uniform free doughnuts and coffee to encourage their presence. One day shortly after, a customer who saw the incident, asked me about it while i was at the 711. In the store, the district commander, overheard part of the conversation and later that night came back to find out more. So I told him what happened, laughing about it because it was on xmas day and because I'm black, it's almost to be expected. A few days later the commander came back to the store to let me know that he "took care of" my problem. "What do you mean Commish" I said, then he explained that the officers in question were transferred to "district 1". Where nobody wants to be.
    From that I learned that there are alot of cowboy officers out there, pissed off at the way they are treated in the academy, life, wife, or everything in general. But then there is the few good ones who at the end of the day, just want to feel like they did a good job in making their community a better place to live in. My point is, how the law is exercised depends on the particular officer you meet that unfortunate day, meaning he could be a dick and fuck your life up for a roach, or he could just say fuck it, catch you later.
    Well there it is, now tell me your crazy cop story. Please someone let me know I'm not the only one.

2. no mixed feelings at all. at best cops are unnecessary and at worst evil. detectives...the guys who actually investigate crimes (well mostly "crimes") i can see an argument for the necessity of those guys, but they certainly aren't immune from the evil part of my statement.

3. Were your tags expired, tail light out, no license plate...etc.?

And when your friend discarded an item did he just throw it out of the car?

I'm just asking some questions to better understand the situation.

4. cops are bad, in that, they're only in it for themselves. it provides a huge ego boost. "ooh, im helping my community taking these taggers to jail. i make decent money, get to beat the shit out of people, and disregard laws in general. im a legal asshole."

at the least, cops are misinformed jerks who believe people can be regulated.

5. I've heard this said around here once or twice before, but when you say they are unnecessary, exactly what do you mean?

Not really trying to debate, jus wondering.

6. What was the "object"?

7. we were on foot half a block from the store and there was no small object discarded, they just said so. i clearly remember my friend asking me if i was clean before we left the house and making sure that we were. cops are necessary in that they do deter violent criminals just by their presence. detectives especially homicide are absolutely necessary, lets face it, if your house gets robbed or your brother gets shot or you sister is raped, you'd damn sure want justice and who better to exercise that justice that John Law himself. the only thing is the justice system in most places is severely broken. like i said before, I am a black man in America, wondering if you'll get pulled over on some bogus bullshit is like wondering if the sun is going to rise tomorrow morning. honestly II've come to accept it since i cannot change it. when i see a cop and i get that feeling like "yup here he comes", i just do the drill, you know, hands behind your head on your knees like i'm a whore or something. at this point i dont even say anything, in my wallet coupled with my drivers license is my lawyer's card, i just give that to the officer along with my lawyer's card and usually that shuts down whatever questions they have. appearently cops hate to go to court so they prefer easier arrests.

8. I've come across some real dickheads that will try to run all over you if they think your scared, or dont know your rights. You just know your going to jail no matter what cause this guy got a ego problem.
    Then I've ran into a few cops that were cool as hell. As long as you treat them with respect they'll treat you with respect. If you get an attitude or say something smart every cop is gonna try to nail your ass. When I was younger I didnt give a fuck and I would cuss and act a fool to the police just because I didnt like them. But I grew outta that after being slammed a couple times, and spending some time in jail.
    Tell the truth and be polite and you will see how much stuff they let you go on. I've been let go a couple times only because I was honest and polite.

9. i mean that your average beat cop is a tax collector in a uniform. they do little to nothing for public safety and a lot for public control. and lets not forget that all to important jurisdictional revenue.