good books

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Pelican, Oct 29, 2006.

1. does anybody know of some good reading material that involves any sort of drugs. Lately I have been wanting to read some good books that have to deal with drugs.

for example, any book that is kind of liek requiem for a dream

any help?

2. fear and loathing in las vegas by hunter s. thompson.

a scanner darkly by philip k. dick (kind of a commentary on the war on drugs)

naked lunch by billy burroughs. (you probably won't want to read this all the way through...maybe just a few pages when you're thinking about getting some smack?)

the electric kool-aid acid test by tom wolfe. (about acid)

the doors of perception and heaven and hell by alduous huxley.

magical passes: the practical wisdom of the shamans of ancient mexico by carlos castaeda. (this guy went to mexico and wrote about shamanic practices. he's got lots of books out, you should find one that interests you)

the diary of a drug fiend by aleister crowley

anything by irvine welsh will have drugs in it.

hopefully some of these will interest you :)

3. Wasted by William Chapin.

It's the only book I've read that focuses on drugs. I enjoyed it very much.

4. The Beach- by Alex Garland. It's a really good book and has a decent amount of weed in it. The movie was crap if you've seen it, but the book is great.

5. Anything by Hunter S Thompson, Requiem for a dream.

6. The book "Twelve" by Nick McDonell is fuckin amazing! I couldnt put the book down. Its about rich kids who use their rich parents money to buy drugs and alcohol and whatever when they are in fuckin bali on vacation and shit...it follows the lives of like 4-5 kids and the book is written incredibly. Its the only book I had trouble putting down ever..

7. Last Exit to Brooklyn, Trainspotting (I can't believe no one said this), as others have said Requiem and Fear and Loathing, Crank (I didn't like the way the book was set-up though), Smack, Street Pharm (To teenager-ish and gangsta for me), Acid House

I can't think of many others right now...

8. the book mall by eric bogosian has alot of drug usage in it. It is a really really good book that almost nobody has heard of that I know of. It is about eight people who are confused and wanting more out of life and they all end up in this shopping mall while this guy decides to shoot it up. One guy is even on acid during the shooting. He is my favoriot charracter in any book ive ever read. If you can find this book I would definately reccomend reading it. I absolutely loved it. It is a quick read too.

9. Someone mentioned it already, but The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe is amazing. It's more or less about the genesis of the acid scene on the west coast during the mid-sixties, following around Ken Kesey and his band of Merry Pranksters. What makes it more amazing is that it's all non-fiction (but don't let that put you off, Wolfe's writing style will immediately have you forgetting that it isn't a novel you're reading).
    A good companion book is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest which is actually by Ken Kesey (Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test takes place a year or two after its publication). It isn't really about drugs, per se, though there is some marijuana use (as well as all the drugs that were being used in mental hospitals at the time, though they obviously aren't being used recreationally), but Kesey wrote it after he began experimenting with acid. It certainly shows, it can get a pretty druggy feel, even when it isn't talking about drugs. Even if you've seen the movie, the book is an amazing read.