GoldGrowers Gaff

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by GoldGrower, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Yeah sure mate, I'll go through it in a sec. Yeah, that's the stuff, it's also called IWE, or "Ice Water Extraction".

2. #362 GoldGrower, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
    This is how I make hash when using Ice Water Extraction, or IWE, with bubble bags. I like to use a 75 micron bag to catch the trichome heads, and a 220 micron bag to catch the leafage.
    Once the bud is trimmed the fresh trim has been collected in cardboard trays and is dried alongside the bud.
    I usually leave it many weeks, sometimes spanning more than one harvest. I prefer to thoroughly dry it so the trichomes become more dense.
    These are the trays I use, they are stacked in the bottom of my drying cupboard. Today I have 9 of these trays and they all have over an oz in each I would think, some might have 2.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG].
    [​IMG]
    I fill up a 20litre bucket with cold water and put my 75 micron screen bag in there. With the bottom resting on the bottom of the bucket.
    The 220 micron bag is them pushed inside with the bottom sitting about 6" above the bottom of the other bag.
    A couple of towels are wrapped around the bucket to help keep the water cold and to stop lots of condensation on the outside the bucket and wetting the floor
    [​IMG]
    Ice is put in the water. In this photo is shows the ice inside the 220 micron screen bag, but it's an old photo, I now put the ice in between the two bags so it's out of the way.
    [​IMG]
    I used to freeze the trim first but I found that the leaves turn to mush and you end up with a lot of crud falling through the screen with the trichome heads and you end up with low quality green hash.
    [​IMG]
    If you are going to freeze the trim it's worth drying it thoroughly first, but if it's dry, there's isn't really much benefit from freezing it.
    Anyway, so in goes the trim. I like to leave the trim to soak for about 10 minutes to allow it all to cool right down before I start mashing it up.
    [​IMG].
    [​IMG]
    I then use a cake beater to churn it all up and also give it a stir with a wooden spoon every now and then.
    [​IMG].
    After about 20 minutes of agitating the trim the 220 micron bag is lifted out, emptied, and put back in the bucket ready for the next batch. At this point I also add more ice. Its important to keep everything cold so the trichomes heads don't rupture. Any broken trichome heads will not fall through the screen.
    [​IMG].
    When all the trim has gone through the process I lift out the 75 micron bag and let it drain.
    [​IMG]

This is an old photo showing the last bit going through the screen.
    [​IMG]
    Once fully drained I scoop out the hash with a spoon and place on top of a 75 micron screen sheet with a bunch of paper towels underneath to soak some of the water out.
    From this much trim
    [​IMG]
    I got this much hash.
    [​IMG].
    But this time I had a lot more trim and got this much from it
    [​IMG]

The hash should be left for a few days somewhere warm to dry and then can be pressed together to form a block
    The bags need a wash with alcohol to dissolve any residual trichomes. It's important to wash thoroughly otherwise it will take longer to drain next time, and it takes ages anyway. You can get more expensive bags that are solely made from screen instead of just the bottom. These will be a lot faster I'm sure. But for small scale operations the ones I have work just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hot Dam! Thas wat im talkin about. So gonna try this after this run i jus need to grab some bags. Nice work as always GG.

4. The 75 micron bag is now hanging up, I just have to wait until it drains now. This could take a while

[​IMG]

5. Nice!, if you sort of tug / jerk the bag in the air a few inches, the water will come out faster as the resin heads are sort of sucked out of the way...

~GHG~

6. #366 GoldGrower, Nov 25, 2015
    I don't want any heads coming out lol, just water. It's all done now though. Just in the middle of cleaning up, I'm just taking 5 minutes break as my knees are aching

Edit...
    Sorry, I read that wrong. I know what you mean now. I usually just walk away and do something else and come back to it

7. I have to be honest, I was expecting a bit more than that, but I did race through it. I probably could have gotten more out of it, but the quality wouldn't have been as good with the added leaf breaking through

[​IMG]

8. Damn gold I wish I knew you in real life,

9. #369 GoldGrower, Nov 25, 2015
    I wish I knew all the blades on here in real life man. It's horrible that most people in this hobby have to be so dam secretive. I wish I could invite you round to try this hash out. It looks super quality, I'm really happy with this run

• Like Like x 2
  10. Looking nice gold. I've been saving my trim since i started growing with the intention of making hash. Bubble bags are on top of my Christmas wish list from today

11. They are well worth it mate. Its pretty much the easiest method for making hash. Although I'd like to try using Dry Ice Extraction because its so quick. A bit messy though

12. I've seen the YouTube vid on that. So quick n easy and it produced loads

13. Dam how much more u wanted LOL thats a Ton right there u can put that on a chain an use it as a wrecking ball to knock over buildings LOL

14. I've harvested the sugar candies and jacks from the soil bed. I'm pretty pleased with them. Here are some photos of a sugar candy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yea this run looks saweeeeeeet them buds have a ton of sugar that ionic does plants alot of justice my last hydro run the one i tried to super fast dry, glistened with sugar too. The soil im running now has a bit of shine not much tho its only been 3-4 weeks now anyway so they still got time to go.

16. I've been harvesting last night and this morning. Some still have a couple of weeks left at a guess

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Whoa you switched to soil man? Didn't see that coming haha. Buds look delicious as always man.

18. Man, you sure do have some lovely ladies in there! I love all the variety... I have some White Cookies and some Blue Berry to try out soon, and hopefully we get a male in there, so I can make some Blue Cookies! lol... Well, it sounds fun anyway :) Who knows... GHG could just become GreenHardtGenetics! hahaha... ~Dab~ dreams...

~GHG~

19. Yeah I had a bunch of clones in soil that I was planning to grow outdoors, but the weather turned bad so I made a soil bed indoors for them instead. It went really well generally speaking. But I did lose a few buds due to mould unfortunately. The buds were too dense, and too big for my high humidity I think.

I have 4 plants vegging that I'm going to plant straight in to this bed once the remaining ones are harvested. When they are in flower ill be using my dehumidifier for sure

20. Yeah it's really nice having so many different strains at once time. They all grew relatively uniform so I was pretty lucky. Blueberry cookies sound awesome mate, you definitely have to cross those