Goldfish rock!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ultrasquid, Feb 27, 2009.

1. So I had a insect larvae problem in my DWC reservoir...:( After thinking it over I went to petco and bought 6 feeder goldfish. Those dudes went to work with a quickness. I mean in one night they absolutely wiped out every bug in my res. I went to petco again again today and bought them some goldfish flakes. I am seriosly considerinng trying an ecosystem grow with a transparent lid that will allow algae to grow and putting a (maybee more) sucker fish in there with the goldfish. The suckers will handle the algae and the goldfish will handle the larvae.

I mean my water is crystal clear with the exception of the red tinge from the nutes. The palnts are super happy and I am thinking it would be a health ecosystem to try this. I know it goes against what most bubble fans say but if it's all in balance I think it might be better for the fish and the buds.

Has anyone ever tried this? I know some people will say "how did you get6 bugs in your growroom?!" etc. but it's really just natural and as far as my research showed they weren't anything to be to worried about but I didn't want a bumper barfly population in my bedroom. The goldfish don't seem to mind the nutes and are happy. I think I will get a small fishtank to keep them in when I am flushing at the end of my cycle and try to keep them happy. They seem to be happy and I am happy with them, I might have to bubble them a couple bonghits to share the wealth. :smoking:

2. My first caution would be to do a little research into fishkeeping, particularly something called the nitrogen cycle. All fish produce ammonia in their waste (fish pee) Goldfish being particularly dirty. In a healty aquarium, this ammonia is broken down by bacteria into nitrites, which are then broken down by another bacteria into nitrates.

In a new fish setup, these important bacterial colonies are not yet present. This means that ammonia levels will reach very dangerous levels often killing off fish before being broken down. I'm not sure how sensitive MJ is to ammonia, but I'd reckon this would not be beneficial.

Now, once this cycle has had some time to culture legions of beneficial bacteria, the end product, nirates could help fertilize your plants. You'll want to test your water regularly and be very careful using any nutes, or other additives. Fish can be quite sensitive to changes in water chemistry.

3. Very true, I don't think fish would be a good idea either. As was mentioned, they have their own ecosystem, which contains a lot of nitrogen BUT also produces large amounts of ammonia which wouldn't be good for fish or plant. The fish ecosystem can also cause your Ph to get all out of whack. And also the obvious problem of fish not survivng in a nute laced solution. On face value it would be a cool thing to have, but not practical.

4. it would be nice the tank all lit up with neon lights and fishs swimming thu the roots.

5. it would be neat but the world would have to be perfect first.

dont light and roots not mix? root rot?

6. you need to post some pics of this... this would be badass if it works!!!!

7. Just use the goldfish like mercenaries when you need some work done in your tank.

8. Wow this has got me thinking.

First - I remember, not where, reading a few posts about bro's using actual urine in their soil. Forget the specifics of it (male/female, how much, etc) but I specifically remember they were almost pissing in the plants.

I'm hoping someone else can speak to that, otherwise I will truly feel alone in the 'pissing for pot' memory. hahah

Long story longer - It is VERY beneficial to spray a lawn with ammonia!!!! It apparently allows immediate uptake of N for the grass.

This leads me to say: Bro GO FOR IT! I would keep a steady eye on the EC/pH while doing it, since I think fish want a higher pH right?? But if you can keep them alive in the tank (which is in complete darkness, not sure how they like that)...sounds like a truly awesome experiment!!!

If ya do - PLEASE kick it up in a journal... that would be one fuckin' grow I think many would benefit from seeing! If it worked of course.

9. piss is OK for the soil, but too much nitrogen in it.

10. goldfish can survive in a variety of bad conditions. I believe ther're natural state is in puddles in south america somewhere. They don't need warm water either. Same with the fighting fish. They can survive without any aeration in stagnet water for years

11. buhdtyme you knowing that much about domestic fish is deserving of +rep

12. Holy Shit Balls.... I am never surprised at how much experience I still lack.

Fuckin' aquaponics.

Recent thing?

Oh no, done for decades.

Right on! But how does one keep those fuckin' fish from stickin' to the water pump? hahah... might be a nasty mess.

13. Ditto. Go read the Do's and Don'ts sticky. There's enough nitrogen in your pee to kill your crop. Besides, you will eventually smoke that right? How will you ever be able to look anyone in the eyes again after smoking your own pee?

Just drink it instead and call yourself a fetishist, that's much more respectable! ("was it necessary to say that V2?" "Why yes, yes it was." :D)

As far as fish in your resevoir, I don't think I would try it mainly because fish food+fish waste could be introducing many things to the water I don't want my plants to have. And also the nutrients could be bad for the fish as well.

You said it took a night to clear up the insect larva problem, maybe if the fish were kept in a their own tank, and only put in the reservoir when there is a problem?

14. dude.

your idea is perfectly feasible.

i am a fish tank expert.

your goldfish will be fine in there.

but you should get an air stone and air pump for it though just for safe measure.it would discipate the ammonia enough to be alright for growth,

on thing i would have to advise you to do is to get them bloodworms because they would not harm anything as waste and would actually beneficial to your plants seeing as how i researched it on grasscity in the advanced growing section.