Goldfish help

Discussion in 'Pets' started by yurigadaisukida, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Short story. A little over a year ago i traded a tv for a 40 gallon fish tank on craigs list. The guy had a really nice goldfish in there, but didnt want it anymore. His tank was already over capacity and goldfish are big waste producers. So i adopted her (i think its a her)

The goldfish appears to be commet variety. It has really pretty coloring and was pretty large (maybe 3 inches or more)

Well after about a year it staryed getting fat. I assumed since it was female.it was just wider than other goldfish. (Female fish tend to be more round, while males are long) that is what i read on breeding most freshwater aquarium fish anyway.

Well eventually the fst staryed becoming asymetrical. On one side it was close to the gills. On the other: mid section

Well now they appear as full sized tumors complete with missing scales.

I read up online and found that there isnt any way to know if its cancer or something else. None of my other goldfish have these tumors/growths. This goldfish appears to be in pain (clenched fins/abnormal behaivior).

What to do? I mean its a goldfish. Not my dog bunny or human daughter. Getting my one of many goldfish (though it is my centerpiece fish) tested and treated for cancer is not really viable.

Idk if i shoulf put it down. Let it live on. Or if there are any treatment options.

Advice?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. It's generally a bad idea to treat for something if you don't know what it is because it ends up making a lot of medication resistant diseases in the tank. I was in your position recently, after my betta had been sick for a good 2 weeks I gave him a few more days of clean water and stuff to see if he improved. He didn't so I just put him out of his misery with clove oil.

3. Yea, i might seperate it and try feeding it some.ground up veggies see if it help. I might have to put it down. Idk if its contagious or not but its been this way for a while and the other fish seem fine

4. The fish has dropsy, and will likely die.

Dropsy itself is not a disease, but a symptom. 

BTW, a 40 gallon tank is only suitable for a single goldfish, and even then, that's severely pushing the limit already.

[​IMG]

They can grow to over three pounds.  A healthy properly fed goldfish will hit 12 inches rapidly

Despite moronic pet-stores classifying them as "cold water" fish, goldfish thrive better in water of at least 70 degrees.

Also, it's possible the dropsy was caused by the water PH not being neutral.

5. Yea i am.planning on moving them to a mucj bigger aquaponic settup. The 40 gallon is temporary and will be a guppy tank.

Thats a bummer that she is gonna die :( ill have to check my.ph levels. Usually my parameters test almost perfect (slightly hard water cause im in vegas)