Gold has no value

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Deleted member 469440, Feb 6, 2012.

1. When you really think about it, it doesn't. We gave it its "value." When it comes down to it, what is it good for? You can't eat/drink it, can't even start a fire to keep to warm or cook food with it. In today's world, monetary wise, it actually has a value to people, but when it comes to living it is worthless IMO.

Any opinions?

2. Well gold never rusts
    Gold is a way better conductor of electricity than copper
    They used to put flakes of gold in liquor
    The applications are almost endless :)

3. so it does have value :p you're contradicting yourself lol

we learned about this in economics class senior year, this is called the "paradox of value." basically, it seems paradoxical that things essential to life such as food and water and cheap, but "unnecessary" things such as gold and diamond are relatively expensive

4. that's just life man.. it doesn't really make sense especially when you're stoned and thats why weed is illegal

5. Diamonds actually are a lot more common than people think as well.

There's stones out there that are way more rare than diamonds, yet diamonds have the highest value.

6. They still do.
    [​IMG]
    Interesting drink. Tastes like winterfresh toothpaste. Not bad for a girly drink.

It's cause they're pretty. Literally...the entire set of scales that determine a diamonds worth is based on its appearance. Clarity could be argued that it's the alignment of carbon atoms in perfect order that reduces/eliminates the flaws, but usually diamonds aren't looked at through a microscope...just a strong magnifying glass.

Gold is useful, as was previously stated. It is also quite common, and used in everyday items. I forget what the article was, but it mentioned the only reason why cash for gold sales even exist (let alone why they're so popular) is because of some guy on Fox News saying gold value was going up.

7. [quote name='"OMS"']
    They still do.

Interesting drink. Tastes like winterfresh toothpaste. Not bad for a girly drink.

It's cause they're pretty. Literally...the entire set of scales that determine a diamonds worth is based on its appearance. Clarity could be argued that it's the alignment of carbon atoms in perfect order that reduces/eliminates the flaws, but usually diamonds aren't looked at through a microscope...just a strong magnifying glass.

Gold is useful, as was previously stated. It is also quite common, and used in everyday items. I forget what the article was, but it mentioned the only reason why cash for gold sales even exist (let alone why they're so popular) is because of some guy on Fox News saying gold value was going up.[/quote]

I'm not allowed to drink golshlahger (sp?) Its the only drink that makes me vomit/pass out/ forget what happened last night. I just keep drinking not realizing how drunk I get. And it tastes more like liquid red hits.

As for the gold subject, we should just go back to trading useful shit for useful shit.... I'll give you two chickens for your goat. Or I'll weave you clothes if you Smith me horseshoes... seems like a more simple life and no trillions of dollars of debt.

8. Some countries still use the barter system.

9. [quote name='"OMS"']Some countries still use the barter system.[/quote]

Makes more since doesn't it? I mean paper money has no use, we use it because the government says its useful. You cant eat it, you cant use it for anything but starting fires.

10. intrinsic instrumental - Google Search

11. I'm pretty sure our economic system is merely a more sofisticated form of bartering goods. The value of money may be abstract, but its also essential when living in society; everyone needs it and everyone wants it. Having a shared interest in something makes bartering a lot easier, doesnt it?

12. Not when you can go into debt with something that isn't really useful, seems a lot more trouble than it's worth, people start wanting things they really can't afford and bury themselves in debt.

13. Well thats kinda their own fault for being stupid. Of course, sometimes getting into debt can't really be avoided, but I'm not saying there arent any holes in how our economy works, I'm just saying the traditional barter system wouldnt be much better. Especially on a large scale.

14. [quote name='"White Indian"']
    Well thats kinda their own fault for being stupid. Of course, sometimes getting into debt can't really be avoided, but I'm not saying there arent any holes in how our economy works, I'm just saying the traditional barter system wouldnt be much better. Especially on a large scale.[/quote]

People did it before and it worked. And I mean we ship things from across the world that we can grow and raise in America, its just a waist in my opinion.

15. #15 Perpetual Burn, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
    In a sense, you are right... nothing has any value unless we say it does...

But I think you don't know much about Gold.

Not only does a Gold/commodity based standard prevent inflation and currency manipulation; not only has Gold been one of the most profitable investments in human history- always valued and more valuable than ever, but Gold has many practical uses...

Gold is used in many modern electronics.
    Gold is used in many computers and semiconductors.
    Gold is used in various medical fields.
    Gold is used in Dentistry.
    Gold can be eaten and used in food and drinks.
    Gold is used in laser technology.
    Gold is used in certain glassmaking.

Not to mention the ascetic uses of gold in architecture and jewelry... if you sell some gold rings to put food on your family's plates, then you'll consider gold valuable.

Gold is also used in aerospace technology. Gold is one of the only metals we know of that can withstand the heat created by re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere. All our Space Shuttles are lined with Gold to prevent over-heating. Without Gold, space exploration would probably be impossible given current human technology.

Gold is the shit.

[​IMG]

http://geology.com/minerals/gold/uses-of-gold.shtml
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold
    http://www.nma.org/publications/gold/uses_gold.asp

16. some dude at work said that the reptilians use us to collect gold for them because if u spray gold in space it can repair the ionosphere

17. #17 Perpetual Burn, Feb 6, 2012

Yeah, diamonds are not rare at all... in fact, most (well over 90%) of the known diamonds in the world are locked in bank vaults in Switzerland. The De Beers family manipulates the diamond markets by buying up all the diamonds in the world, locking them up, and only selling them at astronomical rates in limited amounts certain times of the year. If any member of the De Beers family steps foot in the United States, they will go to prison for breaking anti-trust laws.

Diamonds are stupid too. They are just a clear rocks. Cubic Zirconia is actually way more perfect than diamonds... 'too perfect' ,in fact, as people actually prefer the flaws and the colors in natural diamonds... which they are only told to appreciate by the same people who con them into believing diamonds are rare.

Although, diamonds do have some practical uses in electrical conduction and cutting technology. But nevertheless...

Gold > Diamonds

18. #18 Perpetual Burn, Feb 6, 2012

That's what I hear...

Pussy and Gold are the two main reasons aliens visit Earth.

Makes sense... although you would think, if they have perfected inter-stellar travel, surely they have perfected genetic engineering so they can create all the Halle Berry clones they want; and molecular engineering so they can create all the gold they need.

Unless they really are from Nibiru (or a real planet) or from Earth and left long ago but still need our resources to muck about the solar system.

19. Gold is used in electronics all of the time . . . ..

Nothing has value unless we say so...

20. if gold has no value then cannabis has no value