Going Vegan

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Zion Train, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Im going vegan, what are some good foods i can have? thanks :)

2. Hon, you really need to learn more about nutrition before making a decision like that.

3. True that, you should look into it more like what foods you need to buy and stuff like that, before leaping in and starve yourself or something. but I respect your choice, its good when people change for the bettering of themselves, very motivating :)

4. First of all, you need to know your body before you can change your diet.

5. i get the peanut butter : Naturally More.
    it has 25%+ more protein than all the other leading brands (10g protein).
    get some nice jelly.. cheaper natural jelly..
    grape most likely.
    unless cost isn't an issue.
    i get spinach/spring salad mix.
    fruits: strawberries/kiwis/oranges/blueberries are pretty cheap around here.
    vegetables.. whatever. sweet potatoes are dank.
    vegan cookies are amazing.. i have recipes but u can prolly find them online.
    idk about pure vegan.. i recommend eating fish. sushi for instance. that's just me though..
    chips and salsa. pancakes..almond milk is cheapish. i get almond breeze.
    cereal with that.
    oatmeal (maple/brown sugar my fav. i need to learn to make it from scratch better tho. can't get the proportions right i guess lol.)
    kale soup is amazing if you can get a hold of kale/recipes.
    there's probably more than that too..
    brown rice protein is cheapp. but not too tasty.but hey need your protein.. that's a good way to get it.
    me and my gf use a food processor to make our own "Lara bars" (look it up if u want).. pretty good energy source + if you add brown rice protein powder it actually tastes better.
    marijuana if you can get enough of it.. the best thing to eat lol.
    hemp seeds/powder etc
    there's tofu.. tofurkey. but it's prettyy expensive. you can eat whatever you want really.. if you have the money.

6. All I got to say is that you should each your fruits and vegetables raw, which means uncooked or steamed to get the maximum benefits from them. Don't forget to eat beans, legumes, nuts, and grains. And I don't know why Storm Crow, Slater420, and Grizmoblust think that going vegan is some type of health risk as if meat the most nutritious food on the planet and you are causing yourself harm by cutting it out. In fact, you'll become healthier by going vegan.

Proven: Vegetarians Live Longer : TreeHugger

All the nutrients in meats can be found in nuts, grains, beans, legumes, fruits, and vegetables. So good luck and stick to it! ^_^

7. It's simpler than it seems, especially since you will barely have to cook.

What you have to worry about as a vegan is that you're not getting enough various amino acids, iron, and vitamin b12. But all of this is easily attainable.

As far as your amino acids go, just make sure to get protein from various sources each day. As a vegan, the easiest way to get the majority of your protein is going to be thru whole grains, legumes, and tree nuts. So just make sure you're eating some kind of whole grain bread, pasta, cereal or oatmeal in your day. Second, get a source of legumes whether it's beans, lentils, or peanuts/peanut butter. Then just make sure you get some nuts throughout the day; almonds, pistachios (very good for your eyes!), Brazilian nuts (world's best source of selenium!), walnuts.. you get the idea.

I don't know why doctors and health 'experts' tell vegans to worry about iron intake. I eat grape nuts every morning, and it wasn't until recently that I found out one serving of grape nuts has 90% of your daily iron needs (I consume about two servings whenever I eat grape nuts). But even if you don't eat that, you should get all the iron you need if you're eating a variety of foods like listed above and what I'm about to list down below.

Vitamin b12 in nature can only be found in animals (which probably even means that our body produces it without the consumption of it). But just to be save, buy you some soy, almond, or hemp milk. Corporations that mass produce those milks are aware that the majority of their market is going to come from vegetarians and vegans so they fortify each serving with around 50% of your daily need of vitamin b12.

Outside of those common deficiencies, just make sure you're getting raw fruit and raw veggies in everyday and you should be good. When you eat nuts, always try to get raw nuts because those will contain higher amounts of antioxidants.

Budget wise, my personal recommendations would be to make sure you're eating legumes everyday, because beans and peanuts are so damn cheap; yet beans provide so much protein and fiber, while peanuts contain so many healthy fats. Nuts are going to be expensive, so make sure you buy them in bulk (try to find 3lbs of nuts for $15). Your whole grains will be relatively cheap, especially if you're going to buy some grape nuts, oatmeal, and whole grain rice.

Just let me know if you have anymore questions.

8. The reason it is a health risk, is that most kids who decide to be "vegans" haven't the foggiest idea about decent nutrition!

I would suggest reading "Diet for a Small Planet". Good book for beginners. However, our teeth and digestive system peg us as omnivores tending toward the vegetarian.

Soy is often GMO and BUYING veggie milks is dang expensive- MAKE YOUR OWN! Better yet make hemp milk- far better for you.

How to Make Hemp Milk (article – no date)
    How to Make Hemp Milk | eHow.com

And a lack of B12 can be a problem in a strict vegan diet. Brewer's yeast is the usual vegan source, but not all types of brewer's yeast are high in B 12, so look at the labels carefully.

Educating yourself further about nutrition is always an excellent idea!

Granny

9. hemp milk is expensive as fuck though?? correct me if i'm wrong???
    almond breeze isn't that expensive as you shouldn't be using milk that much anyways.. even though with almonds, it doesn't matter if you drink a lot (except cost wise). different from regular milk of course.

hemp seeds are expensive i thought lol

anyways i just made some "Blondies"
    they're like chocolate chip cookies.. it called for all purpose flour but i used soy flour :X
    i guess i'll post a pic if i get around to it..

yah avoiding GMO is almost impossible these days.

10. What?

All the tofu, soy, and soy milk that I came across is non-GMO. I have still yet to find a GMO soy source. And almond and soy milk is just about the same price as normal milk in my local Walmart, Kroger, and HEB.

11. Cheers for posting guys, i'm working towards becoming a vegan ^^ but it's not easy for me

12. May I ask why your choosing to go vegan and also how much research you have done?

13. Its really not that hard. Your base diet will consist of vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, legumes, etc.

That will give you every nutrient you need other then B12.

The only hard part you should have is learning what ingredients are dairy and what aren't. For example many products have casein or whey in them, which are made from dairy. Just watch out for the little shit you would never think of, like how most breads have dairy in them.

I hope you don't have to hard of time with it, I switched to a well balanced good vegan diet a while ago, and im feeling alot healthier now, and I think my cognitive functions have improved.

Theres only one more thing, you better start learning some vegan recipes right now, because if you don't your going to get really bored of bland food very fast. Its not hard to make really good tasting vegan food.