Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Going to try cooking for first time tomorrow. Are my directions good?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by sic0, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Ok,  assuming no one corrects me... here's my plan..   Starting with a small batch in case i mess up.

Decarbing:
    1.) Going to well grind 4-5g of fresh bud with a coffee grinder
    2.) Put into a small glash dish, evenly spread out   ( Could i use a metal pot? )
    3.) Wrap tightly with an oven bag
    4.) 220f for 30 min or so

Making Oil:
    5.) Move bud to a metal pot
    6.) Add 1/2 cup of coconut oil (4oz worth, so my average is about 1.0 - 1.2g per oz of oil)
    7.) Add a bit of Lecitin
    8.) Cook on low heat for 3-4 hours  ( Do i need to cook this long since i decarbed? Longer?)
    9.) Strain with Cheese cloth ( what can i do with the left strained bud? is it useful or waste?)
    10.) I will use the entire amount of oil in a muffin recipe, that calls for 1/2 cup of oil.

Am I good to go?

2. Sounds good, but let me offer a suggestion.

Squeezing the oil through the cheesecloth is messy, and hot. One can use gloves OR get yourself a Mason jar, and a NEW grease splatter screen guard. The kind made from SS found in just about grocery store or Walmart type store in the nation. Cut the screen to fit the lid of the Mason jar. Pour material into the Mason jar, place filter screen in place and secure with the lid ring. Pour contents into your cooking or storage container. Remove the material, and then use your cheesecloth to wring out the remaining oil which should be a whole lot cooler. An added advantage is that when using strictly cheesecloth as your strainer, material can make it's way into the final product, that is pretty much eliminated using the grease splatter screen as an initial filter. 

Hope you experience the success you are seeking.

Thanks!  What can i do with my bud after i've wrung it out ,  is it usefull at all or is it pretty much just a goopy waste

I tend to save it, and put it in with the next extraction, after a few runs, I dump it all, and start again with fresh material. 

If you already have the oven bag you could put your oil along with the weed (after the decarb) and then let the mixture float in a pot of boiling water.

That seems it would work if you only want your oil/weed to be at 212 F.

It saves cleaning a pot from oil and if you can figure a way to squeeze (only when COOLED) the bag you could have less waste.

Let us know if you try this idea.

good luck