Going to school for horticulture.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by sublime83, Dec 25, 2010.

1. So im about to enroll for horticulture at my local community college. I plan on gettin my Associates of Applied Sciences and to take Business Management at the same time. This is all in anticipation of Cannabis legalizing. My step-dads cousin already lives in arizona where mmj is just starting up and he already owns a grocery store, gas station and a pizza place and makes some bank. And now he wants to start a dispensary. And wants some help at the store, so i figure i go to school for business management and horticulture for a future other then just there. So good idea? anyone have any suggestions on what i could do differently or better? Are there any really good horticulture schools out there?

2. sounds sick dude, but horticulture can be a bit dry at times are you sure that this is something you really wanna do?

I mean Im not saying you shouldnt do it im just saying that right now im a horticulture technician apprentice and have a diploma under my belt in a related course and I know not everyone enjoys shit like this.

good luck though

3. how've you liked it? yeah ive grown up with my dad and mom both gardening a lot and my dads always had a greenthumb same with all my grandparents and ive always liked being in the dirt and working with plants, but i figure i should get to the roots(no pun intended haha). hows the job market for it?

4. I am majoring in horticulture right now, it is pretty easy for the low level courses, but once you get into the plant propagation classes it could get complicated. Also there are many jobs for the market, more then people think. Horticulture is used is every day life in almost all places, its not all working in a green house. Horticulture is involved in landscaping, tree pruning, parks, zoos, nurseries, greenhouses, farms, wineries and much more.

I am doing it because I am interested to work for a zoo, mainly because I love animals more then I do plants, and because my favorite hobby is to grow weed. Actually thinking of getting a minor in zoology because of that as well.

5. sounds a lot like me as a kid haha, I always loved growing vegetables in a garden with my mom when I was growing up and my love grew from there. There is always gonna be a market for it but all I do is landscaping want to get into the greenhouse thing eventually though.

6. Oregon State University has a great horticulture and botany program. im planning on attending