Going to psychiatrist

Discussion in 'General' started by yota420, Dec 7, 2008.

1. I am going to a psychiatrist, because I have some serious anxiety and anger issues as well as insomnia. They have become much worse since I stopped smoking marijuana. I am hoping to be prescribed some sort of benzodiapine, rather than an SSRI. Would it be a bad idea to tell him that I smoked marijuana, and that it helped with all of those problems? Or would that just make him see me as a "drug abuser" and just get me put on a ssri?

2. Honestly you should just tell him. If he prescribes SSRI just tell him you would rather not be prescribed that and see if he changes his mind. You should just be straight up about marijuana because there are some medicines are can be fucked up with marijuana. I remember in high school I was prescribed anxiety medicine and smoked on the side and I ended up puking for days before I stopped taking the meds.

3. lol odds are the psych will tell you you're using marijuana to cope with it and it isn't helping. That's what the ones I talked to said anyway. Their first choice will be an SSRI.

4. heres my advice based off my experience... well, rather... heres my experience...

I went to a psychiatrist over the summer. I went for my severe anxiety, which caused my IBS (which is severe pain). I really wanted a benzo, but didnt expect to be getting one. When she asked if i drink, i said rarely, it makes me sick. when she asked if i smoke, i said sometimes, she asked how often, and i said relatively often. She put me on SSRI's because their safer and they start with the safer alternative first. I went on em, and they sorta worked, but about a month ago i was just having severe panic attacks and realized my prozac wasnt working for me at all. My next visit, (mind you they just did my blood work, and i tested positive for pot) i told the doc what was up, and how i was having really bad panic attacks and anxiety. She asked, in order, if i drink 'rarely' if i do any street drugs 'no hard drugs, i just smoke (little white lie but watever), and she goes... ok, well thats not that bad, ill just play dumb with the pot smoking... im gonna prescribe you to klonopin

so essentially... tell them you smoke, but make it like u do it recreationally, not too often, and dont even mention how it helps you medicinally. just make it like its not even a big subject to you, and your ready to move on to the next question. Dont mention any drugs or make it seem like you know much of anything about em. if they ask if you drink, tell em the truth, but if you drink a lot, dull it down. don't admit to any other drug use.