Going to get real dry.... around here

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by deltamike21, Oct 29, 2004.

1. CHICAGO -- Two men were facing drug charges after Chicago Police officers found more than two tons of marijuana hidden in a semi-trailer this week, investigators said Wednesday.

Jose Galvan, 25, and Adolfo Pitones, 38, were arrested Monday after officers searched their semi-trailer truck in Northlake and found more then 4,895 pounds of marijuana worth $35 million in street value, according to Lt. Peter Piazza, of the narcotics and gang investigation section of the organized crime division.

An investigation began when police received a tip about a shipment of drugs coming through Chicago, Piazza said Wednesday at a news conference.

Police located the truck Monday in Northlake, and, while the truck was unattended, confirmed drugs were inside using the K-9 Unit, Piazza said.

The truck was then placed under surveillance, he said.

Later Monday, Pitones backed the semi-trailer into a garage on the 11600 Block of West Grand Avenue in Northlake, Piazza said. Galvan then opened the trailer and went inside, he said.

Twenty minutes later, the two men left the garage and Chicago police arrested them, because the investigation started in Chicago, Piazza said.

Officers inspected the trailer and found the front wall of the trailer was taken apart, exposing a secret compartment containing the wrapped packages of marijuana.

Pitones and Galvan were charged with possession of cannabis with intent to deliver, and if their paperwork cleared in time were scheduled to appear Wednesday in Central Bond Court, Piazza said.

Sitting in Central Bond Court, Judge Matthew Coghlan set a $400,000 cash bond for each suspect, a court clerk said. Should either attempt to post bail, he would be required to disclose the source of all funds, the judge ordered.

Both men are residents of Chicago suburbs, Piazza said, but he declined to give specific addresses. An investigation is looking into whether Galvan and Pitones are members of a gang or organized crime ring, he said.

This seizure of drugs was considered a large amount of marijuana, Piazza said.

The marijuana is believed to have traveled from Mexico, Piazza said.

The secret compartment of the semi-trailer created a false wall to hide the marijuana, Piazza said. The semi-trailer was 53 feet long, but with the compartment it appeared to only measure 48 feet long inside, he said.

Officers removed three boards of plywood that made false wall and found a 13-foot-tall steel compartment. The compartment was divided into two sections, Piazza said.

The marijuana was to be sold in the Chicago area, Piazza said.

Galvan and Pitones used barbituric acid to cover up the smell of the drugs, a procedure that does not work, Piazza said. Police find many different agents used to cover up the smuggling of drugs, he said. However, the Canine Unit can smell the drugs despite the use of these agents, Piazza said.

Engine oil, fabric softener, chili pepper, transmission fluid or brake fluid are just some of the agents used, according to Pat Camden, deputy director of Police News Affairs.

2. And suddenly the Chicago cop that was unwillingly assigned to the Evidence Room is much more willing...

WOW. 4,895 pounds! That's freaking amazing. Imagine a small car's weight in weed! Oh, my goodness. That is just unbelievable.

3. Yup, I would think 4,895 lbs. is considered a large amount. :rolleyes:
    Major bummer for the Chicago area.

4. damn that sucks. so much fuckin' weed.

5. yea, i talked to some of my shwag boys, they said it's already bad, everyone is hording what they got for personal.... things are about to get real rough, oh ya here is a pic of some of it..... makes ya drool...now the Man has it

Attached Files:

6. bwahaha i live in south suburbs of chicago! man, im so lucky the guy me/bro/freinds goto grows his own(really frigg'n awsome dude to btw), but jesus, its gona be harsh times for ya :\

7. shit...$400,000 bond...cause some kids wanted to enjoy the weekend...especially since they definetley were mules cause no one with any connections would be stupid enough to ship that themselves...

really sad though...thats a bigger bond than than suspected rapists (don't quote me on that)...huh...

8. Yeah its a pain in the ass when the main dealers go down. My friends and I were going to get a really good deal on some pot and buy in bulk (9 ounces), but a dealer went down and now like my whole county has sod all pot... Hopfully some one will step up and take his place soon..

9. im fuckin happy im in canada we got an endless supply up here

10. ye im glad im Canadian, always have and can get weed no problem

11. Right on, Alaska votes tonight to make it legal, be so fuckin awesome if they did.....

12. Damn. I'd give my left testicle for just one of those bundles.

13. As I already mentioned, that sucks so bad. They're absolutely fucked no matter how the look at it, all over a plant. Such bullshit.

Also, 4,895 lbs is way more than a small car. That is more than a lot of trucks (SUVs, that is.)

I know it's not quite the same, but in my area (Southern CT) there has been a lot of busts lately, including 60lbs in Waterbury and over 1,000 plants in Southington.

Just when you think people are starting to get it, all sorts of raids happen.

14. two tons?! jesus christ!