going to court on tuesday...need legal advice

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Vzsel, Mar 11, 2012.

1. So I got charged for theft 3 (I don't even know what theft 3 is) at walmart.. I'm 18, I got arrested finger printed etc..they told me I had a court date on Tuesday

In the summer time I got charged at shopko (I was 17) so I did diversion and got it off my record and it was in a diff state.

Anyway I really can't afford this... I'm too poor, I have traffic tickets to pay off, I'm trying to graduate and I have tons of shit to worry about because my cousin is on sucide watch and I've been trying to help her, I really need some advice to get the charges dropped... do you think there's a chance? I only work 8 hours a week, I can barely pay my bills I can't afford to get an attorny, people say to file for a public defender etc, can I bargain with the judge? Do some community service hours or something? This is my first court appearance. So I have no idea.... if I do get charged I lose my job... I really need help.

2. What did you steal and why

3. because its your first offense as an adult, you will be eligible for a diversionary program again. ask to be put in the program, stay outta trouble for a year and it will most likely be erased from your record. you might need to take piss tests.

4. Plead not guilty until state makes you a plea offer

5. ...sounds like you need a rude awakening to REAL LIFE and consequences of choices you make.

Good luck...learn your lesson.:wave:

6. [quote name='"FuckBeerGetWeed"']What did you steal and why[/quote]

Hair dye,magazine, coffee and string cheese...ahaha I don't know I was tired, hungry, I haven't slept in days so I was kindve out of it.. I know its fucking stupid and I shouldn't have done it,, I regret it deeply. Its just one of those things you do without thinking..

7. [quote name='"cball"']

...sounds like you need a rude awakening to REAL LIFE and consequences of choices you make.

Good luck...learn your lesson.:wave:[/quote]

I don't need sass... I know I have to deal with it, I regret it so much but there's nothing I can do now..the officar said there's a slight chance I might just get let go with a slap on the wrist.

8. [quote name='"Keifer Suthrlnd"']because its your first offense as an adult, you will be eligible for a diversionary program again. ask to be put in the program, stay outta trouble for a year and it will most likely be erased from your record. you might need to take piss tests.[/quote]

Yeah when I was on it last time I took 3...passed them though thanks to jello. But the officar said there's a slight chance I might just get off with a slap on the wrist... how can I go about making that possible?

9. plead not guilty and hope you get a good public defender. Dont talk to the judge directly....talk to him/her through your lawyer/public defender. If you can convince whoever is representing you that your arnt a bad guy, you might stand a chance.

Good luck pal.

10. looks like your in the shitter, so.....start running, dont stop, and dont look back.

11. [quote name='"WasntMeh"']plead not guilty and hope you get a good public defender. Dont talk to the judge directly....talk to him/her through your lawyer/public defender. If you can convince whoever is representing you that your arnt a bad guy, you might stand a chance.

Good luck pal.[/quote]

Well thanks.. just one question, why can't I talk to the judge directly? Sorry lmfao I'm new at this.. when I go in theere on Tuesday can I ask for a public defender?

12. How'd they catch you

13. [quote name='"CaressaRosee"']

Well thanks.. just one question, why can't I talk to the judge directly? Sorry lmfao I'm new at this.. when I go in theere on Tuesday can I ask for a public defender?[/quote]

Talk to the judge, but exercise your rights and don't incriminate yourself. Ask to speak with the prosecutor and try to cut a deal with them. Ask them if you qualify for a diversion/supervision program, explain your situation (no details about the crime)...if not, plead innocent and ask for a public defender. Worst comes to worst you have to hire one for like 100 bucks.

14. [quote name='"FuckBeerGetWeed"']How'd they catch you[/quote]

I really don't know... I always go to this blindspot so I don't think that's it, I think when I picked up the hair dye he started following me on camera, he was such a dick..one of those undercover lp guys, mid 20s. Acted like I was stealing from him, he wasn't very professional at all, he grabbed my arm, when we were in the room him and this girl were laughing while I was crying my eyes out, he called me ugly etc and was really sassy.. Fuck walmart. Idiots.

15. Note: I'm not sure if this process varies state by state, but this is how it went for me.

Court is a lot different than you would expect. Before your hearing with the judge, your lawyer/public defender attempts to make a plea bargain with the prosecutor behind closed doors (you are not allowed in the room where this takes place). A plea bargain is basically your lawyer's way of lowering your punishment, by either having some charges lowered to a less serious degree or by having the charges dropped altogether.

I'm assuming by "theft 3" you mean third degree theft. It shouldn't be too hard for your lawyer to have it lowered to a fourth degree, but I highly doubt he will be able to have the charges completely dropped.

Even if your lawyer gets your charge dropped to something less serious, the judge has the final say. The judge will usually just agree with the plea bargain, read the offenses you committed, and then list your punishments. You usually have to throw in a few "yes your honor" when he asks you questions, but DO NOT INTERRUPT THE JUDGE WHILE HE'S TALKING.

You probably won't have much to worry about. This is your first offense, and you do attend school and have a job. They will probably give you some BS probation and some fines.

16. [quote name='"CaressaRosee"']

Hair dye,magazine, coffee and string cheese...ahaha I don't know I was tired, hungry, I haven't slept in days so I was kindve out of it.. I know its fucking stupid and I shouldn't have done it,, I regret it deeply. Its just one of those things you do without thinking..[/quote]

No.. its not just one of those things you do without thinking.

If you already have issues in life, you don't go out and commit a crime. You made the decision, now you have the consequence. It's a life lesson.

17. #17 WasntMeh, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
    When i was like 16 I was in court for a bunch of shit, and the judge asked me a question. When i went to go respond, he stopped me and advised me it would be in my best interest to not speak to him but talk to the lawyer and he will talk to the judge for me.

When you get into court and they call you up, you will walk up alone. The judge will usually ask you if you want a public defender/attorney/lawyer appointed to you. You simple respond yes, and then he will dismiss you from the bench and a public defender should find you.

If he does not ask you, just tell him that you can not afford a lawyer and you would like a public defender appointed to you. He should delay the case until you have a public defender present.

Make sure you use the public defender....we all pay good tax money so they can help defend peoples rights.

18. [quote name='"Spaced"']

No.. its not just one of those things you do without thinking.

If you already have issues in life, you don't go out and commit a crime. You made the decision, now you have the consequence. It's a life lesson.[/quote]

Uhhh..it kinda is..I mean when people do commit a crime they don't really think about it. I mean if they did there would be a lesser crime rate eh?

19. o yah make sure you shave also and dress nice.

20. [quote name='"CaressaRosee"']

Uhhh..it kinda is..I mean when people do commit a crime they don't really think about it. I mean if they did there would be a lesser crime rate eh?[/quote]

Did you go to Walmart with money?
    If not, why were you there? Did you knowingly go to steal? Did you go there directly for those items?