Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Going To College!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Livionthetrack, Apr 30, 2013.

1. I'll be going to college in the near future, and I've been considering opening my own dispensary afterwards. I'd like any info you guys have on what I should major in college and what all I need to do to make my dream come true. Would I need to grow the herbs myself or what? Just leave any tips you have for going to college for opening a dispensary!

Thanks!
    ~Livi

2. dont bother.

and whats with all the symbols? Hard to believe someone would mess up that many emoticons. Something else must of messed up.

3. I don't mean to shatter your hopes/dreams or anything. I have the same idea, I went to/am currently at a relatively shitty college studying horticulture to open a dispensary. The knowledge you will learn is very unrelated to cannabis, at least at my school, it's all focused on landscaping and owning a nursery, unless you go to oaksterdam in college I wouldn't expect to learn much of anything helpful. And to start a dispensary most states (at least Maine) require you to prove you have at least 100k$ in wealth to start up to show that you are serious and are not just going to sell weed out of your house.

With that being said you should try to network as best as possible, get to know people and maybe get into with someone or a group. On my first day of intro to hort during introductions I made it clear I was only in college to get a degree to work in the medical cannabis industry. I met a bunch of fellow tokers and was offered a position with a caregiver who was looking to get as many mmj people together as possible to maximize crop production but I do not have my card yet and ended up moving to a different town.

4. its good to have the knowledge to fall back on, right? i mean you're learning stuff about plants and that field that the average joe wouldnt have a clue about, then you can apply that to MMJ such as how breeding works and other super technical stuff.
    i want to get a certificate in hort sometime

5. and whats with all the symbols?[​IMG]

6. My bad for the symbols, I didn't know they were there. But what about any cannabis related jobs? Give me some ideas and what I'd need to major. I just want to be around it!

7. Study business....any shmuck can grow weed, but 4/5 businesses fail in the first 3 years, not to mention the fact that a dispensary its borderline illegal. Do you really want to drop $40k on an education so u can grow a plant that isn't legal?

8. #8 Storm Crow, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
    So You Want to Open A Medical Marijuana Dispensary

So You Want to Open A Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Barbarians At The Gates Of The U.S. Medical Marijuana Market (news – 2013)
    Barbarians At The Gates Of The U.S. Medical Marijuana Market - Seeking Alpha

Moldy Marijuana? Legal Markets Spark Push for Health, Safety Standards
    (news – 2013) Moldy Marijuana? Legal Markets Spark Push for Health, Safety Standards

Legal marijuana's all-cash business and secret banking (news – 2013)
    Legal marijuana's all-cash business and secret banking - Apr. 29, 2013

Exploring the ecological association between crime and medical marijuana dispensaries
    (full – 2012)
    Exploring the Ecological Association Between Crime and Medical Marijuana Dispensaries - Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs

Clinical Service Desires of Medical Cannabis Patients. (full – 2012)
    http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/pdf/1477-7517-9-12.pdf

Those may give you a little more info on the subject! :D

Granny :wave:

9. ^^^^

this. With all the indoor growing technologies its really easy to cut out all variables that could leave u with less than stellar harvestt. I agree learn business, thats the hard part. As a business major myself i can tell you its not easy but it will be worth it in three yrs!

10. You're best bet is to major in business

11. business w/ communications minor

12. If you don't even know if you have to grow or not, just forget it