Going to an interview dressed in a hoody and jeans?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cplus, Mar 31, 2016.

1. I'm broke very fucking broke and I wear the same clothes everyday it's all I got. So I applied to this customer service job got a call and landed an interview tomorrow. My question is how important is the clothes you wear? I have no choice but to take jeans and a little discolored hoody since like I said it's all I got. I'm thinking about not going for that reason... Thoughts?

2. There's no reason not to go. I got a job as a food/drink runner making $15-20/hr, when I went to the interview in tacky board shorts and a blood donor T-shirt. As long as you have a friendly and determined personality, you should be fine

3. No dude. If you've landed an interview and you don't have a job, you've GOT to go. Borrow something for the interview and dress as nice as you can because, like it or not, the employer's first impression of you is very important. Jobs are hard to come by these days and you don't have any idea how many people are competing against you for this one. Don't wimp out and pull the "I can't" thing. Suck it up, borrow some clothes from somebody and go get the job!! TWW

• Like Like x 6
  4. Hope everything works out man

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yea man cant you just nip into a charity shop@ explain your situation. Promise them if you help me out@ i get the job i will stop in when i get my first wage @ square you up.

You could also give them a wee bit extra.

Its worth a try. What you got to lose.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 5
  6. No hate here...OK....But here is my opinion. I have hired well over a 1000 people. No joke, please no one make a smart comment. I hired hourly employees as well as managers. Without knowing where you are going, fast food, the library, car wash I can't say, but here is what I would do. Go to your local salvation army. Tell them you have an interview, your broke. They will hook you up. They will help those who are trying to help themselves. But if you can't do that, be15 minutes early, make sure your hair looks good, sit up straight, look them in the eye, don't use the "uh" when answering questions, think before you speak, shake hands when you are introduced, even if you think you don't have a chance, employers are always looking for someone who is straight with them, who can communicate, has a nice smile, and does not walk in with their hands in their pockets and oh yeah, take a pencil with you, it always got on my nerves when someone walked in and I needed them to fill out something and they did not have a writing instrument. You can always say, I know I am not at my best but I need a job so I can improve myself, I am reliable, I will work when needed, I will not call out. Only say these things if you mean it. There are so many people looking for good employees that sometimes what you have on does not matter as long as you are clean, polite, etc. and present yourself well and all the above. Just my opinion, how was that? Be POSITIVE!

• Like Like x 9
  7. Dress nice, it's a customer service job, not a mechanic job. Beg, borrow, or steal some nice clothes and get a haircut. Don't forget to wash behind your ears.

• Like Like x 2
  8. My friend loaned me $100 got myself a nice pair of dress pants and a dress shirt so I'm good to go for tomorrow!

• Like Like x 11
  9. That is so nice. I really hope you get it, remember what I said, I can read the excitement in your words. GOOOOOODDDDD LUUUUUCCCKKKK:hello::hello::jump::ladiegaga:

• Like Like x 1
  10. I remember my first interview i had on a fcked up outfit w/ some messed up french braids in my hair .. i remember it was raining & so i had on sum beat up hat, that didnt even fit around my head bcuz my braids were so big .. still got the job .. bcuz some companies hire for different reasons such as determination or the desire to learn or just prior experience .. and even tho my image was fuckd up i still convinced the interviewer that i had a desire to learn and determined to be a solid emoloyee & thats why i believe i got the job ..

11. great scene and reference

+1

• Like Like x 2
  12. Actually I think dressing like shit may work in your Faver
    When you get there appologizze for your apperences adding your broke and these are the only cloths you have. Perhaps in the interviewers eyes you need the job more then the other people and your hungry.
    If not....the salvation idea is a great one.
    Good luck though. Hopefully you will get the job

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dress to invest in your future. If you see the bright side, a new you is ready and willing to work!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ehhhhh I don't think playing the victim/pity card is a good way of demonstrating one's potentials to a possible employer.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ono don't get me wrong. I'm not saying to play the victim card. And I would not want to get a job in pity.
    I'm saying that I am poor and I need this job. I have kids and I want to work . I will come to work everyday, become a valuable employee to you and I will be the best employee I can be.
    If anything the cloths is an opening, a way to show the employer the person needs work. Plus when decision time.comes the person dressed differently will be remembered more then the one dressed like everyone else
    Of course its all in the eyes of the decision maker

16. Well OP, how'd it go?

17. He was overdressed for the job.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  18. I think it went good. He said he'll give me a call sometime next week.

• Like Like x 4