Going glass hunting this week, advice?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by tml499, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ^^ Problem is I won't be near the good smoke shops around 4/20, So that's why I'm going this week.

Good to know all stem lines are gridded, I was not aware of that.

So I may be able to drop a little more on this than I expected, like 350-400 (as opposed to 250-300). Does this upgrade my options significantly, or is it a better idea to stick with the stemline and save that money towards a toro circ ash catcher in the future?

2. Honestly I would spend the money on a stemline and any extra cash you have left over spend on something to enjoy out of it. Granted you can get better pieces IMO I can't really justify needing anything better than a stemline unless you are a collector or enjoy having different types of rips. A stemline makes a perfect daily driver.

3. Stemless mobius matrix if you can find one for a little over 4 bills

4. So I went hunting today and didn't have any luck. I was short on time, so I didn't get to go to Haight Street to see Goodfellas and some other shops, but I went to the Cave in San Mateo and Big Al's in Berkeley. The cave had 3 worked sovereignties but they weren't really what I was looking for. Big Al's didn't have any sovereignty at all which was a disappointment because it seemed like the most surefire bet. Anyways I'm flying back to SD now so I suppose I will continue my hunt down in the SD or possibly LA area. Anyone know some good glass shops down there that might have a stemline?

I did get to try out a waffle (it looked like a smaller version though) and a really cool 2011bc stem to circ, but that one was out of my price range.

5. The waffle v2 (with the smaller mouth piece bore) is only 13 inches. That's the reason I didn't buy it at the time.

6. if your gonna be out near LA and SD, you should make the drive out to aqua/ lab /tech in Riverside! I've always wanted to go to the actual store

7. Hmm so the vibe I'm getting is it's actually gonna be pretty hard to find a stemline? Is ALTs store stock the same as their online stock?

8. definitely not, they rarely list SGs online but when you go in, they're there ;)

9. [quote name='"Robot Mania FU"']Honestly I would spend the money on a stemline and any extra cash you have left over spend on something to enjoy out of it. Granted you can get better pieces IMO I can't really justify needing anything better than a stemline unless you are a collector or enjoy having different types of rips. A stemline makes a perfect daily driver.[/quote]

Couldnt agree more. I got my sg bent neck for 350 at the lhs. Its a great balance between flavor and diffusion.

10. Do they have a phone number or something I can use to call and check what kind of stock they have? It seems like I'm not going to be able to find a Sovereignty anywhere in SD after calling around, and I might make the drive up to Riverside soon.

11. they use to have a number on their website, can't seem to find it since they redid their layout.

try checkin it out :smoke:

12. [quote name='"tml499"']

do they have a phone number or something i can use to call and check what kind of stock they have? It seems like i'm not going to be able to find a sovereignty anywhere in sd after calling around, and i might make the drive up to riverside soon.[/quote]

951-683-4940

13. Well good thing I called *** didn't have any stemlines in, it sounded as if they're store stock is the same as online stock.

Luckily though I tracked down a store up north that has a 50x5 upgrid and a 45x5 down grid. My friend is going to make the purchase for me and ship it down, assuming the 50x5 upgrid is still there (I'm pretty sure I want the upgrid unless anyone sways me)

So how much should my friend expect to see it listed as and could he barter it down possibly?

Also I'm looking into a toro circ ash catcher to pair with this thing, how cheap can I find one of those?

14. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_w0JP5wl8Q]Sovereignty 60mm Upgrid Vs. Downgrid - YouTube[/ame]

Up grids have less drag but down grids diffuse better, because they get more contact with water.

I have an upgrid stemline by Apix design and it hits real nice, either of them will be a great piece.

15. #35 magnificent7, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
    I'd recommend the downgrid definitely. Neither of them will have noticeable drag since sovereignty stemlines are such a great design but the downgrid will definitely provide a smoother hit so it's better all around. Plus everyone who has a 45mm stemline that I've seen loves that size.

But they both will be great, the only thing that would make a big difference in stemlines would be getting a king for more diffusion.

16. And if you're looking into Toro ashcatchers, get a 2012 BC gridded showerhead instead. Smoother than any Toro ashcatcher, the 32/48 (depends on the model) gridded slits means it has less drag as well, a huge plus for A/C's, and can be found for a little less in some places. Cost ~$150

17. So I found a 2012 BC netline to tophat (stem to circ) online for 430. Might go for that over the stemline, although i didn't want to end up spending that much. The stemlines are listed as 380 in store so I would have to bargain them down too.

18. I suggest Zob all there peices are nice and priced great i got my inline for 240 the ashcatcher was extra of course. or buy a j hook and your options r endless with ashcatchers and you can put them on the j hook and have a nice bubbler wich i also do.

19. u talkin bit freak?

20. Yep that's the one haha hope it's still available if i want it.