Going from 8GB to 16GB of RAM makes such a difference!

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Blix, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Opening stuff up went from a few seconds to nearly instantly. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I've got a bunch of PC parts I need installed sitting in my room. One of which is a 16gb ddr4 ram set to upgrade my 8gb ddr3. It would help with games so much, 8 gigs is defintely a bottleneck for me rn especially since I have a gtx 1070.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I might get two more in a couple of months.

4. You need a new motherboard for the ddr3 to ddr4. Im in the same boat but with 16gb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ik I have one too that's part of why I've been putting it off cause I wanna take it to someone to have it done for me if it was just ram I would've done it myself

6. Ah ok just making sure you knew, instead of spending money, to find out u need more money lol.

I have built some pc's before though. Its really easy if you are up to it. Watch a couple pc building vids by jayztwocents you'll be a pro in no time. Pretty much just remember the standoffs, so the motherboard isnt touching the case at all, the standoffs are. Then the cpu, just line marked corner up to the marked up corner on the motherboard cpu. Everything else is like legos. The wires are marked, and the motherboard is marked, so say you have a sata, the sata goes where the motherboard says SATA. Its not as complicated as it looks. This is just motivation if you wanted to do it yourself lol. If u not comfortable with it, i understand. But it really is easy and probobly worth your time to figure out. Ive never been as careful as they say to be in videos (anti static wristbands and such)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah I probably could if I really wanted to, I did try to change my graphics card myself and knew the steps but when I went to do it some wires or something were on super tight and I remember feeling like I was gonna either break the card or motherboard each time I tried and got too stressed and just took it to best buy. I'm sure it isn't too hard like everyone says so I might give it another go some time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. If you don't have the mat or the wristband then just placing your hand on the metal PC case can discharge any static.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 16GB seems to be the happy medium for RAM these days. Speed stops becoming a benefit pretty quick, and 32GB is overkill for most regular stuff. Glad you made the switch.

I notice I use about 10-12GB of my 16GB in heavy gaming with a few windows and things open in the background, not bad at all, no reason for me to double up IMO.

10. I know of only one motherboard maker that can accept both DDR3 and DDR4
    check well before you drop the DDR4 into a DDR3 motherboard

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah combo DDR3/4 boards are a rarity and pretty expensive, and buggy. I'm on the fence about upgrading my board. The 9600k is a smoking deal and I'd love to get 5ghz out of one, but I'm looking at a motherboard + ram to make the switch. A video card (2060 or 1660t) I think is my better bang for buck at the moment, upgrade platforms later.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I was about to recommend getting an 8600k because it seems to perform pretty much identical to the 9600k (at least in gaming)

But I just looked it up and 8600ks are going for quite a bit more now. I still have mine brand new in the box. I almost want to try to sell it and buy a 9600k with the money. But I don't see that as worth the hassle to save less than 50 bucks at best.

13. I can get a 9600k on newegg for 300 free shipping (I'm Canadian) The 8600 is like 450, even older stuff like a 3770k is 500. Prices get really weird with outdated slower older hardware.

The 9 series prices are dropping like crazy. Give it time and they will rise again, and 8 series stuff will get cheap again. Such a weird market.

14. I'd rather the 6 real cores of the 9 series vs the 4 core 8 thread of the 8 series. It's more future proof, real cores will always beat logical threads, and core power is getting really good with the 9 series, especially at 4.5ghz+