Going for the pound

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by thestash27, May 11, 2016.

1. Hey dude, unfortunately she died of root rot. I'm thinking of growing one in soil and one in a bubble bucket. In few weeks I'm looking at popping a few seeds in :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. That is a bummer man, how do you think it happened/ what caused the root rot?

3. Damn that sucks. Sorry for the loss.

4. Talk about resurrecting dead threads. I thought I'd bump this thread just to compare where I was back in 2016 and where I am now.. lol

Great news is that I am going for a pound again after 4 years, with a bit of a different set up.

I'm wondering when to flip to get this pound? Maybe in a week or 2? IMG_20200122_153726.jpg IMG_20200123_153225.jpg IMG_20200123_153254.jpg

Sent from my MI 8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #85 killset, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Filling the net up before flipping is your best chance. I fill my nets 100% before flip without any issue. Allow thw buds to grow up away from the ner during its flowering stretch for bigger buds and higher yields.

Whats with the clear containers? You would have a more filled out root structure if they didnt recieve light. The roots look healthy but by that size that small container should be completly packed. A larger container would definently help you reach your pound goal better. Larger roots= larger fruits

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for the pointers. I might let them go another 2 weeks. I actually transplanted them a few days ago which is why the roots haven't filled out yet. I removed some of the old soil from the roots before transplanting. I'm hoping I can get away with keeping them in these pots through to the end. I chose to use clear pots to keep an eye on root health.

7. #87 killset, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Use something to cover them. Roots do not particularly like light so if you want the healthiest, fullest root ball possible they need to be in the dark. Maybe make somekind of cloth wrap that you can take off. At that size though you'll know if you have healthy roots or not just by the way the plants grow so if you use tape or something permanent its not really a big deal. Theres a reason you dont see any of us growing in clear containers, even hydro guys keep their roots in the dark . When i start seedlings and clones i use a clear solo cup then a colored solo cup on the outside. Do your pots not have drainage? I dont see a drip pan under them. How many gallon is the containers?

8. Yeah block all the light from the root zone for sure. Right now they'll be reaching and encountering light and keeping away from it. They'll encounter the edge of the pot once they're in the dark.

9. Hi fellas, though I'd post an update to show you how it's going. Sadly I have not covered the root zone yet, but I will this weekend with tape. I just flipped to flower 2 days ago. Looking at the canopy I feel like I will achieve the pound, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

10. What do you guys think of the canopy? Pound worthy? :D hope y'all having a great Monday btw

11. Looks great! You know, corrugated cardboard is surprisingly light-tight if you need something much easier than tape alone. fwiw

12. Not to be a kill joy. But I don’t think you’ll hit the 16 mark. I’d say 12 at most. BUT I’d love for you to prove me wrong. Nice set up and good luck. I’ll be checking back too see what you got

13. Looks awesome bud. I dont see it being near an elbow though.

14. Thanks for that great idea!

15. Hey, at least you're honest, and thanks for the feedback :)

16. Getting pretty big. Looks like the pound is definitely achievable, only flipped 6 days ago. Haven't covered the root zone yet
    IMG_20200208_114037.jpg IMG_20200208_114041.jpg

17. The strains are 1x Monster Profit, 5x Dream Machine, 1x Bubble Gum and 1x Red Russian

18. Your lighting will be your problem with weight
    What do u average on gpw?
    I pull 2.5lbs every 70 days from well rooted clones in a 5x5 tent with 4 plants. Totals not in for last cut but looks like 2.8 lbs.
    I have 4 led kits in the tent. 288v2 leds from China running 3k.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. Damn that's awesome. So u got almost 1000 true watts pulling from the wall? I have 6x cree3590s pulling a total of 300 true watts at 3500k. I also have another cob light spare, 200 true watts at 6500K. Very deep into the blue spectrum.

This is the first run I've done with the LEDs but from research it's not unusual to get 1.5-2 gpw with the 3590s.

I could add my spare 200W cob light but was worried about it being too much light that could cause nutrient issues or just be way too intense for the plants. Are you running your QBs at full power?