Going CRAZY!

Discussion in 'General' started by jzeratul, Feb 24, 2007.

1. So just some background first, I just turned 21, I started smoking pot when I was 18 with my friends. I went off to college in another state, a big private technical university, and nearly everyone I met who did not suck at life smoked pot. So naturally I made friends quickly with those people who had similar interests as me and who liked to blaze a lot. I was real fucked up emotionally at the time because a close friend of mine in high school committed suicide our senior year. It was a really bad time for me and I am still not over it. I was crying a lot of and I thought I was depressed because of it. Anyway back to school...

I ended up doing really well my first couple semesters as a Film/Animation student. I fucked up a lot of academic courses like history and critical thinking because I never liked reading that stupid shit and could never get into something I didn't like or thought I needed. So my grades kept on slipping each and every quarter, we had 10 week quarters instead of long semesters like most colleges. I was thrown on probation and shit, and ended up just sliding by every time. I was smoking pot everyday. Mostly all day long, I would go to class high, if I made it to class, and was just generally fucking blazed as hell all the time. The last quarter I was at school I was in a special restoration program that was supposed to help you bring your GPA up, but all it ended up doing was making me go crazy. So then I noticed I was losing blood in the toilet so I had to be pulled out of school on a leave of absence to get my medical problems all worked out. It is completely unrelated to smoking pot and it is really just a minor thing.

So I come home and am feeling okay, just in and out of the doctors office all the time for tests and shit. I have a girlfriend for about a year and a half, so I was spending time with her (she doesn't know I smoke pot and she hates any type of smoke) and also blazing at night with my friends. I ended up being stupid and left an IM open with my smoking buddy and my dad saw it. So I get the whole gateway drug speech and that it takes away your soul and shit. I tried to explain to them that it is a plant and God put it here for us to enjoy and saying that it is wrong is like saying God made a mistake. They just said that I am trying to justify my drug use and they said it could be laced with something else and you don't know what you are getting. So now I am here, sober as a judge for about a week, and just going crazy without being able to smoke. I know it is not addictive but I have to move out so I can smoke up. I just need it. It is like my medicine. Out of all the anti depressants and shit I have been on nothing makes me feel like good old ganja. I just don't feel like killing myself and I don't have all those negative thoughts about death and suicide on my mind all the time when I am high.

I guess if you don't want to read all that my real question is, is weed a real medicine as an antidepressant? Anyone have any proof?

2. Weed shouldn't be the reason you don't think about suicide. That's very serious if you have suicidal thoughts without weed. Eventually, according to most modern medicine literature, suicidal thoughts do not just go away if there is a serious underlaying depression which I'm detecting. I'd get on some steady anti depressants and maybe consider therapy.

To answer your question, what is a "real" medicine? It has medical purposes for patients of different illnesses, so I assume yes. Good luck and take care of yourself.

Edited to add: Your weed is masking the real problem, it's blocking it out and numbing it. That's also very serious. Problems like that just don't go away even if you smoke all the time. Eventually the weed won't be enough and you'll have to face your demons or move to something harder.

3. if weed makes you feel like that then you might have a problem. I haven't smoked in like three weeks and i could care less. there's functional drug users and disfunctional drug users. you might be disfunctional.

not tryin to put you down just tryin to help a fellow stoner ya know?

4. bump

So I have been clean for about two weeks now, and it really isn't so bad now. I got a job temping at this data entry company. I have been substituting exercise and weightlifting at the gym for smoking up. I feel better overall and haven't really had depressed thoughts/feelings.

The real problem now is that my dad still thinks I am smoking. He doesn't trust me and he thinks he needs to send me to a clinic/rehab because he doesn't think I could stop cold turkey just like that even though I did. I guess fucking up and almost failing out of school has him really worried that drugs took over my life. I tried explaining that it is not like heroin and my body doesn't crave it, only my mind. He said that the first chance I get I will do it again, which is kind of true. I want to stay clean for about a month or two and then toke again.

He thinks that my personality changed and I am not the same since I started smoking it and he thinks that weed made me depressed, not the suicide of one of my closest friends during my senior year. I was on and off antidepressants and in and out of grief therapy. I really just didn't like the side effects of the pills and I thought that self medicating with weed would work out better in the long run because I don't want to have to take pills for the rest of my life. The side effects of weed is way less than the side effects I was having on Effexor/Wellbutrin/Lexapro.

I found this link: http://www.cannabis.net/antidep.htm and just wanted to know what everyone thought of that question that no one really answered. Is cannabis an antidepressant?

5. NO
    DO NOT USE RECREATIONAL DRUGS TO TREAT YOUR DEPRESSION!

6. ^^ a little harsh, man. Slow your role.

But anyways, its not worth it man. Dont think about killing yourself, please, for the sake of everyone around you or who has ever known you, dont do it. Ive been there, done that, and realized its just plain not worth it. Dont look for long complicated explanations on why and what, just realize its not worth it.

Tomarrow is the first day of the rest of your life. You can do anything tomarrow, Go anywhere, Be anything you want, Tomarrow.

7. Sure cannibis is an anti-depressant. It seems that you have been treated by other anti-depressants and they didnt work as well, im not sure if depression is grounds for MMJ but if it is possible you should look it up. Also try to spread some knowledge to your friends,and family let them know the truth about marijuana's medicinal purposes.

Suicide isn't the answer there is a quote from catch-22 that sums it all up pretty well

"Maybe a long life does have to be filled with many unpleasant conditions if it's to seem Long. But in that even who wants one?"
    "I do" said Dunbar
    "Why?" Clevinger asked.
    "What else is there?"

peace man and keep your head up

8. Weed is so addictive. People need to realize this. Everything has the potential for abuse. Everything in that quote sounds like an addiction to me.

Anyhow, you've been totally sober for a week now? Give it a little more time. The feelings will get better. When i quit smoking daily years ago, i went through the same kind of feelings. Dont feel right, cant sleep all irritated, depression etc. You havent faced a day sober in years really. Your minds out of whack. Your mind and body will adjust and get back to normal soon. Your feeling feelings you have been repressing through drugs for years, sober now. Its a whole new world. Give your body a chance to recoup before you go back to smoking. It will!

9. Why? So he can think of killing himself while feeling all "fucked" on those "anti-depressants"?

What would those "anti-depressants" be doing, would they be curing him?

I would suggest you go and talk to a professional about the depression, one who doesn't want to medicate you into a coma because it would be easier than actually trying to fix a problem.

Weed is not physically addictive. But yes, you can get addicted to it. You can also get addicted to eating and sex (and many, many, many other things). Those activities are certainly dangerous. I wish government would step in an regulate that!

I would agree with that and agree that weed can be abused.

10. Im trying to work through something like that now actualy.
    Its really good that you have been clean for a few weeks now.:hello:

11. I mean, your situation doesnt sound so good.
    You might want to concider seeking psychological help for those deep issues because truth be told, weed is just going to cover them up and not solve them. I love pot, but I dont use it to cover things up, its just a ...hobby... of mine. Maybe slowing down is good, and you might become less psychologically addicted. I know people say its not addictive, and physically its not, but you can get mentally addicted and I know that I am.
    But yeah, try and find help, and good luck my friend.

12. I never said weed is physically addicting, only that its addicting. So many people I see on this board are so afraid to admit that their beloved pot is addicting, its scary. We are all here because we love pot, but we need to realize and accept that it is in fact addicting. His "mental addiction" to weed has him talking just like an addict thats physically addicted. People can break down addictions into different types all they want, but an addiction is an addiction. Justifying it by saying, its not physically addicting, does not make it a better addiction.

The fact is, his addiction has his head kinda screwed up at the moment and is talking for him. The best course of action right now for him i would say is to hang in there and sober up until these feelings pass. If he is really feeling suicidal then he better seek help from a dr or family member. Realistically, he is just now facing everything he hasnt been facing for a long time. Its going to be mental circus for minute, but he will come out of it and his head will clear up. And it sounds to me like he really needs it. I know alot about addiction, both physically and mentally. I live with it daily. I also know how my mind reacts when I'm going through opiate withdrawls. The first week or so is a pretty depressing, irritable, am i allright kind of time. It all passes though, I've done it for years now. I've read up alot on addictions and withdrawls post acute withdrawls and i'm living it. I know how my body and mind reacts to it. Human nature and human minds arent all that different, almost textbook. He will feel alot better soon. If he doesnt and has some bipolar, suicidal, manic depression issues that he has been covering up with weed all these years, then like i said, he better get to a dr and see whats up.
    I'm not being judgemental here, i'm just talking from experience is all.

I just dont want to see him get to a DR, have them DR give him more drugs to try and solve his problems until he adjusts to being sober. Once the mental circus of going sober settles down, he may not find himself all that depressed anymore. Give sobriety and the human body a chance to fix itself. It just very well might in this case.

13. Agreed.
    I know for a fact that I am addicted to marijuana. I have been sober for 30 days, and I still remenis constantly. Why the hell would i be here if i didnt love it?

14. the only thing you can't do apparently is learn how to fucking spell tomorrow.

anyways dude, like tek said, you don't want to use any rec. drugs for a cure of depression. Instead of getting to the root of your problems and finding out how to solve them you are simply masking them with drugs so you don't feel like anything needs to be fixed. You could try talking to your girlfriend or a therapist about the shit that has been going on and how you feel, that might help. But try all of that first and attempt to find a healthy way to make yourself happy, because using drugs to make yourself feel better never actually fixes anything. Good luck man and keep us posted.