Going Camping Solo

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by digitalbuddha, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Hey GC .. Just recently finished up a seasonal job and have about a week to chill before my summer job starts. So I'm going to take a drive to do some mountain biking and hiking. I'll prob camp at least two nights. I've never gone camping before alone. So looking for some suggestions on what to do after I'm done riding.
    Not sure where I'm going to go yet but I figure I'll check out the local bars although not completely excited walking into those situations by myself. Ideas ?

2. Do you play any instruments? I would bring a bottle of scotch and a few joints and just rock out by the fire. If you decide to stay at a campground maybe some people will stop by to listen or just invite the neighbors over fro a drink and a smoke if they seem cool. Make some new friends.

3. or you could bring a fellow CO resident with you!

camping alone is never fun. or safe, i know its a rare thing to get hurt camping,

but if your going riding i wouldnt go alone.

id go camping over at woodland park

4. Man I envy you, I've been meaning to get out into the back country and do some camping. There's nothing like getting out into the natural world.

In fact, you've inspired me. Im gonna call up some people and set a date.

5. I go solo tripping into the backcountry every year. Check out my web site in my sig. I have one trip report posted on my site.

If you guys need gear, buy through my web site and I'll make a commish. :smoke: I'll get ya high if you're ever in the area. :cool: It's all top notch stuff from cool dealers.

But back to solotripping, I either hike or kayak. I actually prefer going by myself. You see way more wildlife. :)

6. You don't have Kansas listed! :mad:

7. Solo trips can be a lot of fun. I try to do at least one every year. If your not scared of the woods at night then you'll be all set. :smoke:

8. I would head our to Durango or the south. Weather has been too unpredictable for a safe camping trip at least where I live by Colorado Springs.

9. Thats all I go is solo camping. Im also a minimalist, meaning its me, my hammock, a knife, fire kit, cooking tin, tarp, cordage, and a blanket. Ive done overnighters with as little food as a bag of peanuts. With a little knowledge the forrest provides. Nettles, hemlock tea, and a squirrel is a fine meal.

I dont drink or smoke when im out alone, so I wouldnt recommend it.

10. If thats so then there most likely wasn't any info available.

I don't think they have any national parks, just historic sites. But I will look into the state parks, and if they have any with backcountry camping I will add Kansas by the weekend.

Thanks for letting me know. :smoke:

11. Lol. sorry if i semed angry. just seemed odd.

12. Its funny.. I just started reading your trip report on your site.. but realised I read it a few weeks ago when googling algonquin trip reports.. getting psyched.. we depart MONDAY MORNING 9AM Highlands Backpacking trail!! :D

13. Sweet! I did a portion of that trail back in '87. It was awesome.

14. Awesome!

I just checked out a small local camping goods store that I heard was really good.. so I go in and just start looking around casually when this young female approaches me and asks me if I am canoeing or hiking.. she started showing me all the cool gadgets in the store.. needless to say I'm in love... :cool: I told her I'll be back sometime to get something.. haha

15. Thanks for the advice guys. Actually ended up leaving shortly after I made this thread. Had a great time. Headed south into New Mexico. Stayed in Santa Fe. Didn't find any great mountain biking but did some hiking Santa Fe and around Albuquerque. Stayed all 3 nights in Santa fe. Hit the SF brewery and drove around burned lots of J's and just chilled. Weather was great. Got a slightly cold at night down to about 25 but still perfectly comfortable. Time flew by.
    @pigpen- would have been great to have some people along but even alone was great. Came through the springs on the way back last night. High 70's . Blazed a fat one around Denver , kinda sketched out coming back out 70 just made it through the pass before it closed.

16. Never camped by myself. When I was in high school I skipped a few times to go to a national park.

17. Bring music, that way there you won't hear any noises in the woods and get paranoid.

18. No no! Leave the music at home. Getting away from that is one of the reasons I go. Just listen to the sounds of nature. :)

19. Solo camping sucks.. as awesome as i wished it was, its not..

20. I just spent three weeks doing a solo spiritual journey. It was wonderful, listened to my pod sparingly, reflected, meditated, read, wrote.