going 12/12 per day how long till i can sex them?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mrsoft47, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Hi there,
    I have switched my two plants which are now about 34 days old to a 12/12 light cycle... they have been on this for about 3 days now....

I still don't have any signs of sex yet, does anyone know how long it takes?

cheers:confused:

2. Every plant/strain is different. 1 - 10 days... Make sure you have NO light leaks into yer grow space. Zero light for 12 hours daily. GL! :D

3. Firstly, MJ produces preflowers while still vegging, mine do after about 6 weeks. You need a glass to see them well, read my link below.
    You do NOT have to put them into 12/12 to tell sex.
    I think it a shame that some of these basic growing skills seem to be getting lost.

4. cheers cantharis,
    I have actually looked at your thread on sexing, but i don't have a glass. As far as i can see they still don't have anything telling their sex.......

but i think i might read some of your other links in you signature....

cheers

5. K, so the OP's plants are 34 days old. If they are like your plants, Cantharis, they would be at least 8 days out from showing pre-flowers, or as many as 22 days. The question was how long it takes to show real flowers once 12/12 has been initiated. Growers with healthy plants see pistils in the first day or two into flowering, IF the light is correct (i.e., absolute darkness for 12 hours) and the plants are "nomal" and healthy.

I can't comment from my own experience since I'm on my first grow. But it should be obvious that I'm a voracious reader and I've seen a wide array of growers' experiences with initiating flowering via the change in light cycle. There are many many variables in the individual grows reported online, including plant history (soil, transplants, ferts), plant health history, lighting, strain, etc. etc. You presonally may see flowering as a "basic growing skill", but that applies to your grows in which you have dialed in every variable to your own requirements. To imply that all growers can use one yardstick and call this "basic skills" and to lament that these skills are lost is a failure to recognize that grows in the real world, the non-highly-controlled Cantharis grow world, seldom coalsce to produce an environment where reliable predictions are possible. If everyone grew the same strains under the same environmental conditions, we would be in a much better position to exercise the "basic skill" of spotting pre-flowers or initiating flowering.

I would agree that spotting pre-flowers is a basic skill and that having a magnifier or loupe to check is a basic requirement for a well-controlled grow. But let's be real about the variety of growers and grows out there and make the effort to not be dismissive when real world conditions conflict with highly controlled conditions.

Peace...

6. Hey trust me guys, the question was how long till pre flowers are there, Don't worry about the basic skill of spotting them. I've read enough to tell the difference, but thanks for the input and taking the time to help out a 1st time grower....

7. #7 cantharis, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
    I don´t really understand the use of the term ´highly controlled´ with reference to my comments, which I find rather inappropriate.
    My plants sit under God´s own sun, they will show preflowers in their own time and eventually flower when THEY are ready.
    Sorry guys, YOU are the ones ´highly controlling´ your plants with your little lights and timers, and trying to force them to flower when YOU want.

And growers who say things like - I haven´t got a glass - are ridiculous. Come on guys, these simple but essential magnifying aids cost pennies, and are required to identify preflowers and tell when your trichomes are ready to harvest. This is basic growing equipment, if you haven´t got it, then get your act together. Or apply some imagination and improvise - the standard lens from an old 35mm SLR camera makes a great magnifier.

8. Obviously some confusion here. If you want PREflowers, which appear while the plants are still in vegetative growth, why have you put them into a 12/12 lighting regime???

9. Quick apology for using your thread as a sounding board, Mrsoft, and GL sexing yer plants....

Cantharis, PM sent re the negative rep you gave me. :rolleyes:

10. In my current grow, HGS White Russian, my Aeroponics plants didn't show sex until 21 days after switching to 12/12... this was even after a 4 week veg time...

My soil plants (same variety) showed their preflowers after a month in veg...

11. A 30x magnifier costs $5 on ebay, and cantharis is correct. Depedning on the strain most plants can be sexed within 5-8 weeks from the pre-flowers regardless of the light schedule.

12. I shall waste no time in reading it.

13. #13 cantharis, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009

Thanks for the support oldskool, and +rep to you. And you have reiterated the whole point that I was making - that you do NOT have to put your plants in a 12/2 regime to tell their sex. Newbs now seem to think you HAVE to do that, because they have been told that by other dopey newbs who have never actually done a grow. Sure, some of them may have read a little bit, but you don´t learn to fly a plane by reading about it.
    DISinformation - the curse of the newbie!!!

14. anything indica should show wihin 4-5 weeks of 18-24 hours of light
    anything sativa would take a week or so longer.

preflowers (sex) will show without having to switch to 12/12.

15. God im so high, that is the best post ive ever read, ever!

16. Thanks for the compliment, Usual. +rep to you.