Godzilla! Plant too big! Help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Sabastian, May 5, 2012.

1. #1 Sabastian, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
    Greetings again fellow farmers,
    So, it seems that this Barney Farms Red Dragon has turned into Godzilla! This is a Kush/Sativa hybrid, but she clearly got more sativa than little kush. It was supposed to be a "medium short plant"... not! This plant has been unusual since the beginning where it started out with 3 leaves, split, then went crazy. One main stem is an inch and a quarter wide and appeared ready to split again but never did. This plant drinks a gallon a day, and it has completely taken over my growing area (good thing I only did one plant!). Problem is, I have run out of room to raise my main light and she is starting to burn her top. The plant is only 25 days into flower and has about another 40 to go, total age is 56 days. It is too big to get through the door, and I have no other room with a higher ceiling so moving it is impossible. I'm gonna move the light to the right but after that I'm completely out of room. I'm not complaining as this plant has been the most robust and strongest plant I have grown (4th grow) but am wondering if anyone has suggestions about what to do. You can see from the first pic in comparison to the 3rd and 4th that it continues to grow (5 days difference, it was below the top of the shower), now reaching above the top of the shower enclosure by about a foot. She's a dragon indeed... Godzilla!

Suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. It will stop growing up with in a week or so . But you can also try supercroping.

3. I had this happen to me once (out growing the light) and this is most likely your best option, it is what I did.
    also good chance it may go beyond 60 days.

4. I am on my first grow. I am two weeks into flower and am about to run out of room. I am a newbie and I am sure my problem is lack of planning. Next time I will shorten the veg cycle. I am holding out until absolutely necessary and then after much research (don't want to fuck this up) I am going to supercrop. Thanks for the original post and the replies.

5. Just wondering how many watts you pushing? Don't believe you mentioned.

6. Looks like a 600w hps

7. Thanks for the responses! Will look into supercroping. This sure has been a crazy plant! I am only running a 400w HPS, used a 400w MH for veg. I recently added two 65w CFLs in the right spectrum to help on the sides. I am in a deep water hydro, using technoflora nutes and RO water. Been REALLY happy this cycle with ph, it's been dead on each change, and remains very stable throught out. No burn or deficiency at any time in the grow cycle.
    I think she is starting to slow, as tonight it looks like she didn't reach into the light too much more. Now she is starting to set more and more flowers. Hope all goes well from here!

8. Now THAT was interesting. I prefer a sativa plant but one of the drawbacks has been their larger (taller) size for indoor growing vs Indica strains. Might this allow for growing sativa plants indoor more easily? Have you experience in such a thing? Any other scholarly links you care to share? Always appreciated, never expected... :smoke:

9. Haven't tried it- I need indicas!

As for other scholarly links, just click that first link in my sig! 420 pages of MMJ links, plus a few odd-balls in the "Miscellaneous" Section. Cannabis is a fascinating subject!

Granny

10. #11 CalDreamer, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
    Growing in a bathtub? It's not a first I've seen this but I'm always dumbfounded when I do see it.

That's fairly normal size for most plants that age, at least in my experience. The Red Dragon isn't suppose to get this big so you must be doing something right. Much much too late to top so you need to bend the tops affected by the heat from the light and tie them down. Won't hurt the plant and it will most likely help with yield. Peace :metal: