Godspeed You! Black Emperor thread

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Noxnoctum, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Alright I'm completely obsessed with this band, even more so since seeing them live in D.C. this past Saturday. I just wanted to start a thread dedicated to them. Hopefully some other blades love them as much as I do.

I just relistened to Storm in its entirety (i.e. the whole 22 minute behemoth) again..... such an incredible song. Well all their songs are incredible. But that one just... I feel like I'm getting a musical survey of the world or something. It's hard to describe. I really want to try to make some kind of "music video". (nothing gay, just cool footage and pics that express how the song makes me feel)

The band lets anyone and everyone record/film etc. their concerts as long as they don't sell them so here's a little "preview" of the kind of music they play for those unacquainted with the band.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGN876EyLXI]YouTube - Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Albanian (Live)[/ame]

(this is live actually, this song was never recorded in studio... but it's a very high quality live recording)

2. aw yeah.

lift your skinny fists.. is my favourite album, followed closely by yanqui u.x.o., if only for the track rockets fall on rocket falls.

i got tickets for two of their upcoming toronto shows and i'm just about puking in excitement.

3. #3 Noxnoctum, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
    Well get ready to get your balls blown off my friend. They're even better live than in the studio. Ya, you heard me. (I wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me)

My suggestion: Get to the venue 2-3 hours (I say 3 to play it safe) before the show starts so that you're at the very front of the line. I was about the 10th person in a line of ~500 people and was literally in reaching distance of Mike Moya... the drummers (furthest away from me) were only 12 feet away. It was incredible. Seeing them play up close is nuts.

Yes sitting there for 3 hours is boring, but just bring an mp3 player or something or a book. It's worth it. I really felt sorry for all the ~450 people behind me. All they could really see was the footage they have in the background (which was great too btw).

Even their freaking sound check sounded great... they actually did this really cool seamless transition from sound check to their first song... it was pretty amazing. And they were all so... chill while playing. It was really amazing. Especially Mauro... every time he had a break he'd just grab a bottle of alcohol and chug some back like he was chillin' on his backporch lol.

EDIT: BTW dude, I spoke to Mauro and Moya and both said it was likely that Albanian will be recorded in studio sometime soon.