1. #41 Insurgency, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
    ya, so why do you think things like the ten commandments were brought into place? because people were not doing what they were expected to do, which lead to the need of an 'abrahamic god'

...moving away from the 'true god'

2. there are plenty of objective moral codes that are not grounded in some form of religion. Some examples are utilitarianism, kantianism, virtue theory. the list goes on, this proves that going about making moral decisions can be grounded in something objective besides the word of God.

you can judge the intent, the action itself, the outcome the action produces, or you can judge the character of the person. you guys decide, but i think utilitarianism is the best choice. "greatest good for the greatest number."

3. Ten commandments! I'm relativley sure worshipping other Gods isn't leading to a collapse in morality.

4. i think you guys are misunderstanding where i stand. i am not saying god made moral codes, moral codes came to be when man first started to form larger groups which lead to small villages then eventually civilization. creating a judging god reassures moral codes, to remind people.

what if you were not part of the greatest number? would you think well as long as they are happy? then why do people complain now, as long as other people are happy?

5. I was giving that post some thought until you said we may be perfect.

6. Man wasn't created to suffer, he chose to.

7. it seems like you have no idea what i am saying so good day to you sir

8. You're saying the ten commandments came around to bring people back to morality or some ridiculous shit along those lines? I'm simply saying it's bullshit because some of the commandments are beyond retarded.
    Say good day all you want, if you keep posting i'll keep replying with counter-points, it's an open forum. If you don't like it either don't post or block me. I really don't care either way.

9. i think he just might be a cool ass energy thing.

10. that is pretty spot on mate, great contribution to the thread

11. I see what you're saying about the first part; yes most people are dumb enough to need god to remind them what to do.

For the second part, I like this theory the most because it is similar to our democratic process. When an election is over a lot of people are sad, but most people are happy with the outcome; you can't ever make everyone happy. This theory also focuses on the consequences that an action would bring about. Criteria for judging an outcome would include intensity, duration, number of people benefited, and other variables. It's a moral maxim that uses a scientific method with objective grounds to answer a moral dilemma.

12. #52 Insurgency, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
    have you ever read the bible? do you research hindu and buddhist beliefs? the ten commandments was just an example.....you narrow minded poster.

Ten Commandments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "They are recognized as a moral foundation in Judaism, Christianity and Islam"

which , "were spoken by God"

the ten commandments are just part of monotheism.

here is buddhism morality, summed up perfectly in wikianswers

"A precept is a rule about how we should act or conduct ourselves.

The five precepts are:

I undertake to abstain from harming living beings
    I undertake to abstain from taking what is not given
    I undertake to abstain from sexual misconduct
    I undertake to abstain from false speech
    I undertake to abstain from intoxicating drugs or drink
    A Buddhist aims to adhere to each of these as closely as he or she can."

hopefully there is no need for me to continue.

or is it just too "ridiculous" for your mind?

13. Yes i've read the bible. I was raised a Catholic and reading the bible was what turned me from religion. that and the mass murder and repression of human rights that comes from it.

Some of the ten commandments are bullshit. this means some of the "morality" these religion push is also bullshit. See where the problem is? Instead of reciting sources i'll simply refer you to evilbible.com some of it's taken out of ccontext on purpose but most of it's taken as it's wwritten on that site.

Religion =/= morality

I understand that what Buddha taught and what most buddhists now teach were completely different things. This is off-track though.

14. where do you see bullshit commandments? where it says honor the sabath? the codes that involve god are created by religion. the ethic concept of them are ones were experience daily. would you kill if one of the commandments said to kill? no because you would know it is wrong, not because god told you it was wrong.

but people do not think like that, hence having a 'god' stepping in and chosing good from evil. people know they will not get punished for stealing by god, so they steal.

spirituality = morality

15. That and not worshipping other Gods.
    The "god" that chose right frm wrong also said to kill non-beleivers, stone gay people and kill women who wore clothes made from mutiple threads.
    I see it as bullshit and if this God exists I see him as deprolarable scum.

I'm capable of seeing right from wrong, I don't need fairy tales to do my thinking for me ;)

spirituality = morality?
    How incredibley self-absorbed and vain.

16. no that god said to do those things because the people who wrote the bible said god did that. remember the bible is man made nor did god 'speak' through people. it is man's thought of god, that is all.

the worshiping of other gods comes to more recent times. look at laws of science, they are simply amazing. we must remember that they began at one point by the ultimate unknown (or 'god') which is what caused them to exist. hence only worshiping one 'god' or the 'unknown'

17. What?
    So the good bits came from God and the bad bits came from man?
    Or are you admitting that the entire bible's jjust bullshit people made up?

18. jesus lol thank god i am high

the good points are from man. we created morality by creating civilizations. we began to understand the concept of freedom, but with that comes responsibility. that is to live morally in order for everyone to be truly 'free'. WE as humans created that concept.

the bad parts come from man as well, but the god is more involved on this side. now like i said, people began abusing that freedom, which in turn caused people to evolve the concept of god. god turned into the judge of all people. now why is that? it is a completely different god than seen before... it is because man needed to believe their sufferings by man were not going to go unpunished.

the bible is bullshit most of the time. it is based on historical events but they were actually based on other civilizations, or their beliefs came from other religions. however, it is mans concept of god which is interesting to see how it has evolved over time.

19. Interesting in what sense?
    that people are fucking stupid?
    When I see a religion I see weak people who need a crutch.
    I don't see the same in spiritual people but that's a different topic.

We didn't "create" morality because it's not absolute. All morality is subjective.
    This is my point to why religions do not equal morality, because you can't tell someone what morality is and isn't.

Man needs to beleive others will not go unpunished?
    So what? they sit back and take it.
    I wouldn't say the people created concepts of religion, the people with something to benefit out of religion created it. It is and always was a method of scaring people into behaving. Control.

you still havn't explained how
    spirituality = morality

20. so do you think it is morality right to kill or steal from someone? if it is subjective then you should have no say in whether i steal from you.

into behaving morally. like i said, religions of the past 4000 years have changed it.

there is no need for me to explain it if you don't even agree with what we are already talking about.