1. LOL
    What is "God" truly apart from something that never bothers to do anything to help the people he created?
    Of course I mock people who take this seriously, why the fuck would aanyone dedicate their life to a God that's done absolutely fuck all for us?
    Given that no-one has absolutely any idea aas to what any possible God might ACTUALLY be my opinion's aas valid as yours. God could quite easily look like a downs-syndromed child. This thread is just a fucking existential guessing game.

2. :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:

3. once again you are not grasping the concept of god. you continue to believe god interacts with us, looks like us, yada yada.

i never said your opinion was invalid, it is your attitude towards how you think you are right. this is a thread about god, and if you chose not to believe in him then fine, "everyone their own."

just stay out if you are going to bash my ideas, which u have already made clear that you dont believe.

so leave.

4. Chances are you are far too young to have seen something that your logical mind simply cannot explain, but I can promise you that it will happen someday. It may even happen in the form of curing someone you love of a life-threatening ailment that science could not even begin to explain. How will you explain your faith then?

We all see and find faith in different ways. If you're going to continue the atheist-riddled rant of yours, kindly take it elsewhere, for you cannot even begin to prove that some form of almighty being has not helped you in many ways in your life already. I've done enough stupid shit in my life to know that it might have been more than dumb luck that still has me here.

God is not the illusion. Trying to prove his existence with fact, one way or another, is.

5. Man cannot prove God to others. He may simply hold a light towards the path. Man can only prove God to himself through his own experience.

6. It's an open forum, i'll post where I like.
    given i'm only 22 and i've seen things I can't explain. Did I say I don't beleive in any beyond the material existance? No. I don't beleive in God creating man. Not the biblical God, not any other God. I don't beleive a creator God exists for the simple fact that the world is not perfect, why would any God see his creations suffer?

7. The way you opine god as obviously real comes off rather condescending as well. And the only counter you provide to his "atheist-riddled rant" is the typical theistic one where just because humans are incapable of fully explaining certain phenomena yet then "God MUST have done it!!!" Just like gods were the 'cause' of lightning and floods in the past :rolleyes: right?

I don't mean to derail this topic, but I couldn't let that slide. And Gedio, a little more tact might do you some good.

8. he's got a point.

9. I do see your point as well, and I didn't mean to come off that God is the almighty answer to all that is unanswered either. Other planes of existence, elevated thinking and awareness, there are many "answers" out there, and "God" just happens to be a very popular one around the world. They even wrote a book about it. :D

Gedio, to address your issue of why would any God want to see his creations "suffer", death, in many ways is the ultimate level of suffering, but it is also the ultimate measure of control and balance between man and nature. Perhaps it is more by design that we are mortal, for the planet would have not survived our parasitic approach if death were ultimately not a part of life.

10. because there is no heaven or hell that people believe in. this world we live in is our heaven and hell and we in turn make it that way. if everyone lives morally then we live in 'heaven', but people do not so we live in a world of corruption, lies, dominance, etc, so we are living in 'hell'

who ever asked whats the purpose of knowing there is a god, there is no purpose to know why or how we are here because life is in the present. it is not the past or the future, it is based on the present. a 'god' of some form reassures the basic fundamental way of living, and that is morality.

if everyone lived in morality, there would be no need for a belief in god. we obviously know people do not follow moral codes, so people need a concept of god to give them confidence that evil people will be dealt with.

i mean if they werent, what would stop everyone from just committing evil all the time?

11. #31 gedio, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010

all morality is subjective. What works for one person will not work for another. You didn't answer my question.

Edit - I've just realised what you've actually said. Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that without a concept of God people would just go around being pricks? You should research the history of religion and modern terrorism. It's the people WITH a concept of God that are usually the ones doing the killing. You'll undoubtedly twist what I've said to fit in with your own theism so take note that i said USUALLY.

12. Well the various laws come to mind and a conscience perhaps? It might seem an overly simplistic answer, but do you really believe the majority of theists actively abstain from evil only because their religious text tells them to? I really really hope not :(

It does seem that a lot of theists use this type of argument where an absence of religion equates to all hell breaking loose (figuratively). To me it seems this argument sheds light upon the true nature of many theists, such that they are projecting their own moral shortcomings onto the population at large.
    (not directed at fatbluntsyo)

Also, it's not as if religiosity keeps people from committing evil anyway, sometimes it may even justify it.

13. Religion did not originate to create a uniform moral code.

14. my thoughts. religions from the abrahamic god to now kill because they believe their certain people are the “chosen people of god/allah/whatever. so, all their followers believe they are the “chosen people”, and then you have a unity of different groups. When there are groups, there is conflict. It should be one god or no god, not together at the same time.

are you kidding me? There are many old people who go to church who believe their actions will be accounted for.

like I said, the abrahamic god till now is grounded on moral code, hidden under stories of a chosen people.

15. Wow :rolleyes:

16. And that's the right god? Not everyone believes in that one - and the ones that do don't agree on it. :laughing:

17. well you have made me confused bro. the three monotheistic religions believe in that, the chinese religions teach of morality and order in society, buddhist and hindus have karma.

thats around 5 billion people believing in moral codes, and some do not even realize it.

with freedom comes responsibility, which many people seem to stray from

18. I'm not here to approve or disapprove of anyones views.
    There is no omniscient being in this universe.
    You need to find what you truly believe in and follow it.
    I'am god, you are god too.

I agree +rep

19. These religions have evolved in the past three thousands years more than humans. Shamanism is the foundation of all these religions. In such religion, the shaman was responsible for solving basically any problem that arose in the tribe. There were no Ten Commandments in Shamanism. At this point, people were expected to behave as they did, because that's how they behaved.

20. #40 Stoopid Toker, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
    Dude, once again, i am not talking about the christian idea of God creating the world and man in 7 days.

God being the "Creator" does not have to mean he sat down one afternoon and made humans and put them on the earth and talked to them. It can also mean that God CREATED matter, and a Universe System with certain laws that the matter obeys. Eventually stars formed and atoms fused into larger ones. Stars blew up, casting an array of atoms and particles across the universe. Eventually our galaxy, our sun, and our plant formed. Eventually life evolved. Maybe god created DNA or helped life start, or maybe he merely created matter and life just happend. Maybe it was always supposed to happen. Or he knew it would happen all along. If you know everything about the universe, all the laws it is governed by and everything within it, you could know the end result.

Maybe it is necessary for suffering for us to reach the desired, end result. Or maybe it is not necessary, but god is either not omnipotent or omniscient. Maybe he is, and is not omni-benevolent, and doesnt care that some suffer.

From within the system, and knowing only an infinitesimal fraction of the whole Universe, we cannot know.

It doesnt matter that God may have no image at all, that he could just be some energetic spiritual entity, and it doesnt matter how different we are. I said that i believed that God created all matter, or created all energy that eventually led to matter... Point is, he created EVERYTHING. What did he create us FROM if God is at the very top of the food chain so to speak? Well, he MUST have created us from himself, because he is everything.

Therefore, we are all created in his image. We are his image.

Edit:

Also wanted to add...

How do you know we are not perfect? We could be. We might also be completely wrong, or somewhere in between. The point is, we only know a tiny fraction of the whole system, but you cannot describe the system without knowing the WHOLE system. We dont know what our purpose is, or what the end goal is!

It's essentially like trying to argue the theme of a novel after only reading the first sentence.