God or No God

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Twistedd, May 29, 2010.

1. So with alot of people into religious debates on here, I've been reading more and more into religions and what they would mean to me.

NOTE: I really don't want this to turn into a debate on which religion is better or which religion is the start of every other religion.

Ever since I was 15 or so, I've always been confused about whether or not there is in fact a god and/or a devil. I look at it this way, If there was in fact a god or a higher being bigger then ourselves, What would be the point of multiple religions? There are so many religions, none of them tend to make sense in my mind. I would like to believe in something higher then myself to ask for guidance when I need it, But to me, It just doesn't seem realistic in the life and time we live in (If that makes sense?).

I feel, If there was truly a god, why is there War, violence, poverty, and other shit in the world that is bad. If God really does exist, and people claims he is a loving, caring, pure-good being, why would he have people living in poverty, strains upon strains of disease, wars over religion, oil, and other stupid reasons.

Religion has always been a blank subject for me and I tend to always stay away from religion discussions/debates. I wouldn't know what religion I would consider myself to follow/practice but the only one that somewhat makes sense to me is Atheism. I guess you could say I went through a "stage" of that in middle school from the influence of music, movies, tv, and life in general, But I never really considered myself an Atheist, mainly because I was old enough to realize I'm too young to really pick my own religion and truly understand what it means (Never really went to church much).

Pretty much where I'm going with this is, What's the point of religion? I find myself on some days questioning if there really is a higher being above me somewhere somehow watching over me. To myself, I think it's safe to say, Religion itself is a confusing and never ending topic.

2. I guess people just want to believe in something..

3. #3 Sam_Spade, May 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2010
    In the Malinowskian view of cultural functionalism, religion arose to cope in times of stress and hardship. The earliest and most basic forms of religion and magic chronologically follow the development of cultural materialism; earliest topics of magic and religion are resource procurement (Something that exists strongly in contemporary groups of pastoralists and foragers), and of course moving up to the developing complexity of social interactions; marriage, birth, death, etc. This serves to comfort and create an espirit de corps among a relatively small groups of individuals which required strong bonds and relationships for survival.

Of course, these early "religions" were quite different than what we have today, although the sentiments remain. Most of the earliest religions can be classified as individual and communal cults.

It's only with the rise of agriculture and permanent settlements that we start to see the proliferation of strong ecclesiastical cults.

Personally, I think it is clear our circumstances have changed fairly significantly. Some would insist that contemporary ecclesiastical cults really are an unnecessary and overbearing tradition of a biological being which, on the evolutionary scale, has experienced a massive shift in circumstances in the blink of an eye. I recently read an interesting book, which it's title sums up the idea very well: Caveman Logic by Hank Davis

This is not to say that religion, cults, magic and superstition does not serve a purpose, it certainly does. It is rather to say that the current system of which, has grown out of a time where our needs, as a social species, where very different.

4. There HAS to be a god. What is it? You got me.

You won't see me go around saying "I know god" or "I feel god" because I/we just don't know.
    Books, religions, voices and feelings, IMHO, are NOT proof of a god - I don't care what the fuck anyone says.

5. If God exists, he would have to be one seriously fucked up individual and certainly wouldn't be worthy of my worship.

6. Kind of a contradiction.

And it depends what your definition of God is.
    Our imagination created God and his existence, therefore he does exist in someway to us. (South Park Episode - Imagination land Part 3)
    God could've made us go through fear, to come up with such a character. To believe or not to believe, and boom religion is created, etc etc.

I believe God and the nature/universe exist within each other. (pantheism)

7. If theres a god he really fucked up when he made humans.

8. There is no god LOL

just some dumbshit thing that people made up.

I believe in the flying spaghetti monster :rolleyes:

9. The question should be who REALLY gives a fuck one way or the other whether any sort of God exists.

Just treat people how you wish to be treated and the validity or any sort of religions or philosophies become a mute point and sort of dissappear.

10. Holy shit. That's what Pantheism is? Right on! :hello:

11. I believe that if there truly is a god, then everything on this Earth is pointless. No god would worry about what we do, for in the long run, what difference does it make? I belive that if there is a god, he created all this wonderful world for us to enjoy. If we all die, it's our problem, not his. If there is a god, he just left us here, becuase why would people be subjected to, The Holocaust, natural disaster, pain and suffering?

12. Life is not random==> Life was designed==>God was the designer.

13. God didnt create all that shit, humans did. Thankfully God lets us choose how to live. And Thankfully humanity isnt a peaceful mimicking machine incapable of sin. Where would the joy be in that?
    its called free will. And because we have the freedom to choose to reject God and live selfishly, which is a good thing, there are consequences that follow. For example, if I have sex with a monkey, Ill probably develop a deadly disease (aka aids).

14. Paaaastafari

Personally, i don't believe in any sort of god. If someone can give me some rock solid evidence of a god, then i'm all for it.

Even if there is a god, it certainly is either an immensly wicked being, or it has nothing to do with our affairs. It just created us then does whatever the fuck it does.

but as far as i can tell, we are alone (god wise, aliens are real)

15. This sums up my feeling on God pretty well.

Well said!

16. #16 teh_biscuit, May 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2010
    My theories about God:
    1. Like you said, it created us then ya know w/e, left us, wasn't aware of our capabilities, etc. And god isn't omnipotent/omniscient. Just a higher species of some sort than us.
    Like that simpsons episode where Lisa becomes a god after she accidentally creates life in a science fair project.(Season 8, Ep. 1 if you wanna watch this stoney episode.)

2. The nature/universe and God are one(pantheism), they are the same, not a transcendent deity that judges you into w/e place you go next(heaven, hell, earth)
    Everything that Trismegistus explains.

3. You enter a realm of nothingness/non-existence. No life, only the after death. Nothing more exists, not even god. Every form that is polar opposite of life(touch, feel, smell, think, see, etc) does not exist in any form. Life all together is rather pointless/meaningless. Although that doesn't mean we cant make it meaningful and w/e want it to be. Existence has to exist so we can have fun pointless lives.

4. Your physical and mental form from earth has died and all recollection of it. Though your energies and spirit still remain throughout the universe in a "Magical Journey". And your spirit has been freed of earthly attachments again(?). You your self have become omniscient by knowing nothing. Result being, your soul feels infinitely happy. God exist in some form in which you both are one.

5. Our existence is made up of and created by imagination. No reality is true to an exent. God is not defined as just one, but everything that can imagine and create. Idea that anything is not impossible.

6. Everything is from a scientific/mathematical and technological standpoint. Sociology, how the human mind works, and nothing more than what physical life form exist in our universe. Everything that we come to know and exists is determined by these factors. Meaning of existence is getting less debatable and only time & progress can determine this.

7. Your life has impact thus having reason/purpose among others. You live you die, your time as living on this planet are influential, and carry out cause and effect in others. This is a chain reaction. And whether your effect was a good or a bad one it will hit you back and possibly others around you because you are born soon after in the same reality. This is the karma affecting the Human species as whole, and eventually coming back to loved ones and or to you when incarnated. Positive energies and negative energies are the direct effect of how the mind and soul are interacting.(In relations to #2)

17. So,he wanted people born retarded? God is a crappy designer .

18. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-QIH87SbNk]YouTube - 30 days of night - no god[/ame]

19. There IS a god. I know some religions seem kind of like...well...bullshit, but there is a higher power, no doubt about it. Of course bad shit happens, but EVERYTHING, no matter how terrible it is happens for a reason and EVERYBODY has a purpose in life.
    Life on Earth is just a test until we go to the eternal afterlife. We choose our own paths, but in a way it's already chosen for us...

20. lol, I say that all the time..."And I shall create humans!!!", fast forward 6,000 years.."What are they doing? They are ruining my ozone, Killing my animals, and dumping oil in my sea, Damn me for making that promise to never kill them again."