God help me! I am starting to love the bottle!

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by travilanche, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Well guys it's starting to happen to me. I've been largely unemployed for awhile now (play in a cover band and make about 500-800 a month) and have been sort of on a dry spell/looking for a new job and have some serious depression/anxiety disorders and since I don't have weed I have turned to alcohol to cure my supreme boredom/depression/anxiety and I am starting to LOVE the way it feels. I now want 4 glasses of vodka every night and I'm afraid I'm slipping into the dark oblivion that so many alcoholics have before me. It certainly runs in my family (though not my immediate family) and I'm not sure what I should do. In fact I'm drunk even as I type this message. It's not on par with cannabis by a long shot, but it's certainly not a bad substitute I feel. Any suggestions as to what I should do to shake this terrible demon before it takes hold too strong? Sober life is just far too boring to deal with!

2. Run from it like hell, right now.

I started by just being bored, anxious. I would drink. I still liked weed more. As time passed (less than you think) the booze starts feeling really good. Like medicine. You get overly anxious and unamused by life when not drinking. Booze is a cheap, legal cure. You don't even stop to think maybe the rebound effects of a GABA drug such as alcohol could be causing this. Before you know it you need drinks to stop overwhelming anxiety and shakes. By this point it's too late. These days I wouldn't dream of smoking weed unless I was on some serious depressants. It sends my heart rate soaring.

Although it actually takes a long time to get hooked on alcohol (comparatively to other addictive substances), the transition from boredom cure to physical dependence is overnight. I can actually remember the exact morning.

You do not want to get hooked on this stuff. As I type this my heart is racing (averaging about 120 beats per min, feels like more), I'm anxious, and my hands are shaking. Worst part is I'm like 100% better than I used to be. Vomiting blood, never eating, shaking like a leaf. How I am is months after a seriously cut back habit.

I didn't mean to get too much into my story. I just wanted to paint a picture of how fast things can get shitty, and how long they stay that way. I will always be addicted to alcohol. Maybe not physically, at some point, but mentally you bet.

Please be well sir.

3. I can really relate to you, my anxiety and depression certainly didn't help me quit either. Altough I abused opiates and benzos, same difference.

Man, coming from someone that's been battling with addictions for a while, you really have to want to stop.

Not just acknowledge that its bad you have to make yourself want to be sober. to not drink, or smoke, whatever it is. Educate yourself about the negatives to abusing alc (which I'm sure you know but reading will help it get set into your head) and really think about it. you're just running from your problems in a way.

You have to really WANT to quit, for yourself.

I found that sitting down with Lucy and just thinking about my situation helped immensely. It's not pleasant at all, but I head on confronted the issue and by the end of it I was utterly disgusted with my drug use and that alone I credit to me actually making a change and not just acknowledging my problem.

4. Is Lucy a human female?

Or was she all up in the atmosphere with sparkle-stones?

5. And if you're not going to quit, at least take a good B vite supplement to help minimize the potential long term side effects of alcohol abuse.

6. i know how you feel man. Alcohol take the edge off life like nothing else can. its a smooth and satasfying feeling granted, But at the same time ive had turns where i would take opiates for long periods of time or smoke way to much weed just gristleing all the time to take the edge off (anxiety/ depression/ apparently bipolar now..) it just made everything seem easier.
    And without anything life seems so raw and harsh at first. but eventually this fades away and you build up a tollerance to life and it flows a bit smoother.Then it all blends together again becoming way more satasying than the drug n drinks bro.
    Goodluck man

7. It really doesn't help that I have crippling insomnia. I also take citalopram for my cyclic vomiting syndrome and it makes my insomnia way worse. I did take valium for awhile and that shit would knock me right out but I could actually feel it giving me brain damage so I stopped filling my script for it.

The herb used to take care of those problems but as I said I am on a dry spell right now. I hope to get it back soon and beat this demon.

8. I've been down that road man.

Fortunately, it doesn't sound like you're too far along in the addiction. Quit drinking completely for a couple weeks and see how you feel.

I was A LOT worse off than you before I realized how much of a problem it was, went on the wagon for about a month and it really helped. I still drink, but responsibly now. Taking that month off helped me work up the will power to say no when I don't want it.

Good luck.

9. lets be real here, what we all are looking for is an escape whether it comes from marijuana, pharmiceuticals, alcohol whatever. life is an ongoing thing and it doesnt stop when you feel depressed or stressed out of your mind unfortunately.

relief from these stresses must come from inside and until you are able to create peace without substances lasting and meaningful stability will evade you.

10. I'm a beer drinker and mostly drink out of boredom or if I go out with people to help some social anxiety. I'll drink around 3-4 nights a week with12-14 beers in a night over about 5-6 hours, though it usually starts slow like the first 3 in two hours and then I speed up after the buzz kicks in. So I end up drinking myself to sleep on those nights. Unfortunately those are now the nights when I get my best sleep.

The nights I don't drink, I seem to be waking up about 4-5 hours after going to bed with night sweats which is really fucking annoying and kind of a disgusting feeling. So I have to adjust my postition and kind of air out. I'll probably wake up another 2 hours later, though a lot of times from the annoying kid upstairs. It doesn't help that I have weird sleeping hours from being unemployed and my last job being kinda second shift anyway. Now I sleep like 4-5am until 1pm so the last half ends up with a lot of noise from either upstairs or traffic that I would normally be sleeping through thanks to alcohol.

It kinda scares me that this is what it's come to, though it does help me knowing that I can go through a case and wait a few days till I get bored enough again to go get another. It's not like I'm waking up craving alcohol and drinking beer for for breakfast. I don't sit here on the sober days with the shakes or anything. I'm not sure what you (or I) can take out of this but just thought I'd share.

*continue debate with self on whether to go pick up a 30 pack*

11. You actually get worse sleep from being drunk. You don't really get good REM sleep.

What you drink is considerable. Not needing to be hospitalized considerable, but one foot already in the door.

12. my entire family is full of alcoholics. my dad being the worst.

He would get incredibly anxious and depressed about his work all the time, and would drink insane amounts, there was rarely a time i saw him when he wasnt drunk.

he died this summer of acute pancreatitis, at the age of 47. He destroyed his body with alcohol at the age of 47.

dont let it happen to you.

13. thats unfortunate bro, that story by itself should be enough for anyone to put the bottle down

14. yup, would u believe i still drink every weekend at college though? :confused:

15. #15 InsaneAss, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2010
    I'm actually aware of the sleep thing, but I mostly mean judging by sleeping through the night and the way I feel after it, since I make up for the quality with quantity. As long as it's not accompanied by a hangover, but they are usually pretty weak now if I even have one. Waking up a few times throws off your whole sleep cycles, restarting it each time.

As for how much I drink I do know it's a lot. Though combined with me being 6'3" 240 and a high tolerance, my 12-14 drinks can be like other peoples 6-8. I won't even feel 6 beers if I just stop there, unless I'm doing it power hour style or something.

16. I'm just saying the body can become equally dependent regardless of how intoxicated you get, or body weight. The organs are equally taxed.

No judgment from me though sir. I'm a drunk.

17. OP i sympathize with your troubles... :(

If I may be 100% honest, get rid of the alcohol habit. I know things seem shitty but an alcohol addiction will only make things worse. The only rational thing to do is to stop drinking.

Best of luck friend, grasscity will be there to keep you company through the bullshit.

18. Tru dat. As those whippersnappers say. Wait, I'm only 23, I'm still a whippersnapper.

Just cracked open number two, the cycle continues.

19. i had a friend who said exactly what ur saying now...fast forward to 2 years later and any day he went without alcohol was a day spent with his head in the toilet, having panic attacks, and cold sweats all day

u should look into a therapy group for real

20. It's the truth. GABA drugs have a rebound effect on anxiety and depression. In time you will either need to be drunk 24/7 or feel way worse than when you started.