God dammit... sleep paralysis

Discussion in 'General' started by DutchX5, Nov 28, 2011.

1. This hasn't happened to me since I was really really young, but it hit me again last night. Fucking terrifying beyond belief. Basically you can move your eyes and nothing else. But the kicker is that your mind is still half asleep so you have vivid hallucinations and for whatever reason your brain makes you feel scared beyond belief.

So last night I was having a nightmare that seemed to go on for the longest time, and when I finally woke up, I was completely paralyzed. I couldn't even wiggle my toes (trust me, I tried). But I felt absolutely beyond terrified. Like there was the most evil presence imaginable slowly coming into my room and crawling across my bed. The only thing I could move was my eyes, and since I couldn't open my mouth, I was pretty much just screaming with my mouth shut. I stayed this way for a good 5 minutes and eventually when I could move again I jumped out of bed and had to literally slap myself so I wouldn't fall back asleep.

Anyone else have this?

This comic pretty much sums up what it feels like (I didn't make it but it's spot on)

[​IMG]

2. Yesterday I woke up and couldn't move my body and felt like my eyes were just vibrating in my skull and couldn't even focus my vision I kept trying to and trying to move and it took like five minutes to stop. Also sometimes when I'm falling asleep I start choking and can't breathe and wake myself back up again

3. Honest too god every night I feel like this, I am not at the point where I cannot move but I always feel half asleep and every night is a bad dream, not really bad but a terrible feeling and anxiety always occur.

I feel for ya bro, I would freak the fuck out if that happened too me. Is this Genetic? How is this caused?

4. my brother has had this happen a couple times. he swears up and down that he was possessed, or something was trying to possess him.

5. [quote name='"treelover"']Yesterday I woke up and couldn't move my body and felt like my eyes were just vibrating in my skull and couldn't even focus my vision I kept trying to and trying to move and it took like five minutes to stop. Also sometimes when I'm falling asleep I start choking and can't breathe and wake myself back up again[/quote]

I wake up from choking a lot, I gotta sleep with some water within arms reach every night because of it. I always think its because of my asthma tho, idk? and props for the princess mononoke avatar :)

6. #6 DutchX5, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2011
    The wikipedia article on it says it may be genetic, but like I said, the last time I got it was maybe 10 or 15 years ago. I have no idea why it suddenly happened again.

It's insane. The fear was so intense that I was literally shivering for the next half hour with my hairs standing on end, and I wasn't cold at all, I was actually sweating.

Here's the reddit thread that I got the comic from, and the OP pretty much sums it up with this:

Basically your brain just projects whatever is your deepest fear.. like think of what image would terrify you the most.. a dead girl in a bloody dress, a hooded figure with a scepter, whatever... and projects it into your room, and you can't move. Scumbag brain at its finest.

7. [quote name='"parabelle"']

I wake up from choking a lot, I gotta sleep with some water within arms reach every night because of it. I always think its because of my asthma tho, idk? and props for the princess mononoke avatar :)[/quote]

Hah thanks :D
    I don't know why it happens to me I don't have asthma. I do get bronchitis a lot but I'm not sick right now. It just happens to be on occassion and its pretty scarey to wake up and start coughing. It usually happens while I'm falling asleep. I also don't have like sleep apnea or anything:confused: all I know is it scares the shit out of me :(

8. [quote name='"treelover"']

Hah thanks :D
    I don't know why it happens to me I don't have asthma. I do get bronchitis a lot but I'm not sick right now. It just happens to be on occassion and its pretty scarey to wake up and start coughing. It usually happens while I'm falling asleep. I also don't have like sleep apnea or anything:confused: all I know is it scares the shit out of me :([/quote]

meeee too. sometimes takes a few minutes to get back to normal. idk what it is either... just feels like my throat closed for whatever reason.

9. I had this happen last week.. I hate it man. When it happens I always try and fall back asleep but then I wake up again all paralysis fucked :p It`s happened twice in my life.

10. When I wAs a kid I got it alot . I always had a hilucination of an object that would harm me and my family but I could never remember what it was or how it did it after I woke up

11. I've only had this once, but something crawled onto my bed and I felt it right on top of me. I remember a sensation of complete terror and dispair overcome me and I cried out... I've never heard a sound like that come out of my mouth before (and now I realize that my screaming was actually in my head).

Sleep Paralysis is no joke.

12. [quote name='"ismokegreen"']I've only had this once, but something crawled onto my bed and I felt it right on top of me. I remember a sensation of complete terror and dispair overcome me and I cried out... I've never heard a sound like that come out of my mouth before (and now I realize that my screaming was actually in my head).

Sleep Paralysis is no joke.[/quote]

that's how my brother described it, like someone/something was on op of him holding him down. it scared him bad enough that he went and slept on my moms bedroom floor that night, he was around 17 at the time I think.

13. could there be cool stuff? like a giant cat or weed falling everywhere?

actually weed falling everywhere would suck when i woke up

14. I got dat shit sometimes. it can be genetic but the reason many of us all have this experience is because its easier to occur in the daytime if you take heavy naps.

Basically it's just brain chemicals that were pumped in your body while you are asleep to keep you from acting out your dreams, but sometimes you wake up too quickly and the chemicals have yet to wear off

15. Interesting, didnt know that, it makes sense.

But yeah Ive had this happen a few times, terrifying stuff.

Strangely the first time was last year, after I'd actually been reading about it online for the first time. That very night it happened to me, and no I was not imagining it. Could suggest theres an element of - "if you think are thinking about something, it will happen."

My mate actually didnt believe me, which is fair enough i guess

16. Right when I was able to move freely again, I would jump up and just demolish my room, swinging my arms everywhere. It'd feel so good to move again haha.

But yeah man, that sucks.

17. this guy is right^^^

its happened to me a few times....worst time was when i was dreaming i was driving my car home on a road i go down every day. everything looked identical to the real world. this road has no shoulder, on either side of the road where it ends is just a huge ditch. in my dream i was going like 80mph [limit is 30mph], and a turn came up super quick, and my dream self though OOOOH SHIT im about to die! and the dream car crashed. i swear to god i felt the crash, heard the glass shattering, felt the jerking and flipping of the car....apparently it woke me up, but put me in sleep paralysis.....and i thought that i had seriously finally crashed so bad that i fucked myself up beyond repair - to the point whrre i couldnt move, couldnt open my eyes, couldnt shout for help, nothing and i was trying so hard. i literally thought i had just died in a car accident. scared the SHIT out of me.

18. In the dream I was on this small room. On one side it had a big window, and I think it was supposed to be in a radio studio or recording studio or something. The opposite wall had a rack of video games. As the dream was ending I was walking towards the door wanting to get out and I felt that I couldn't. As I was waking up I started to experience the sleep paralysis. It was like the dream was slowly fading out while reality was slowly fading in. When I was more awake I couldn't move, talk, or breathe. I kept trying to breathe but I couldn't. Just before I was able to move and breathe I thought, "I'm going to die.".

I wasn't scared while I was paralyzed though, except at the very end when I was really needed to breathe.

19. I actually didn't try to move, I was far too scared to move haha

I guess instead of being paralyzed and feeling like I was being held down I was just paralyzed with fear... same effect in the end I guess.

20. thats why i sleep with my cat, mother fucker purrrr !!!