God Bud - Jordan of the Islands Organic Demonstration Grow

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by sterces, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Welcome Dude! if you have a link to a grow journal, please post that as well. I'm collecting 'em...:cool:

2. Eleven days out til God's beans drop. CCoastal reports that he's taking a God Bud (BCB) cutting this weekend to try to align with the seed timing. I also will stick some cuts of Blue THunder (Sagarmatha) at a few points to run with the God Bud seeds, since I like to compare strains head to head and I expect these two to vie for my "best shutdown indica" slot...

PS I am also posting this to help with the effort to bury Possuum's old mega-thread by pushing it off the front page of the organic section...;)

3. Well hello all! Much has changed since my last check in, I currently have 6 god buds going right now. They are all in diff stages of flower, except 2 that are still in veg. One of which is my new mother. I took cuttings last night, as marapa said to try and balance the long root time. I took 6 altogether so I can lose a couple. Great things to come!

4. Holy ghost, Batman, it sounds like there's more than one god....bud.

hehe I'm violating my normal rule against posts w/o pics just to note that I started an aact with about 2 gals of rain water and the same still closed Possuum ball of EWC, kelp and alfalfa I used last time I made an aact, it's been stored in an open bain marie that also had bamboo shoot leaves from the spring. Very funky. Shoulda taken a pic. Anyhoo the soil went in the bin around 8/14, or somefin like that, am too buzzed at the moment to confirm, and I hope to pitch the tea tomorrow evening around 6 pm after around 24 hours of brewing.

marapa out:smoke:

5. T - 4 days on the search for GodB, through seeds (and clones). Feeling religious today, I popped the lid on my soil recycling mondo rubbermaid to see what lurked within. [​IMG]
    Could GodB really live in such a god-forsaken oxygen-deprived place? :eek:

No problem, just apply some of this holy water

[​IMG]

which is a 24 hour brew of rain water with a second use of my "Possuum ball" that's full of ewc, kelp meal and alfalfa and has been sitting around in a stainless bain marie with a bunch of bamboo shoots and leaves growing mystery microbes in the last month...bringing to mind Zappa's "Cosmik Debris":

With the oil of Aphrodite, and the dust of the Grand Wazoo
    He said "You might not believe this, little fella
    But it'll cure your asthma too"

And I said "Look here brother
    Who you jiving with that cosmik debris?
    Now what kind of a guru are you, anyway?
    Look here brother, don't waste your time on me"

Looks slimy you say? not to me...slime is, well, Frank said it best about slime, too:

I am gross and perverted
    Im obsessed n deranged
    I have existed for years
    But very little had changed
    I am the tool of the government
    And industry too
    For I am destined to rule
    And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
    But you can't look away
    I make you think Im delicious
    With the stuff that I say
    I am the best you can get
    Have you guessed me yet?
    I am the slime oozin out
    From your tv set....

Attached Files:

6. prep

:bongin:

soak

[​IMG]

plant

[​IMG]

cover

[​IMG]

prep some more

:bongin::bongin:

head for the hills....:bolt::bolt:

Attached Files:

7. Lookin good marapa, was that in ye last few days I take it? I'm still waiting on my clones to finish rooting, prob around another week or so before they are established. GREAT THINGS TO COME from this thread!

8. Hi Guys,

Just put my seeds in the baggie with the paper towel.

Sould mix up some dirt tomorrow.

It's going to be fun.

Sterces.

9. Great expectations, anyway! :rolleyes: Nope CC I dropped the seeds into the dishes right after midnight friday night, soaked 12 hours, dropped em into the soil at noon on Sat 9.24

I've been taking cuttings of Blue Thunder about once a week for three weeks, so my first cut went from cup into smartie yesterday. Another one went from cloner into cup. And I stuck the third one in the cloner. One of my grow goals this time is to learn more about how clones do compared to seeds in my chamber, at least timing wise.

How many cuts are you potting up? and what's your medium and feeding plan like, at least for now?

My kind of fun fer sure :D Sterces, how many are you planning to run?

Hashem imachem, dominus vobiscum :smoke:

10. I took 6 cuttings but I expect 2 to probably not make it, I'm going to do a side by side of my water only soil (which isn't quite water only for god bud as she is soooo hungry!) and happy frog organics and have two of each soil, one of each will be water only to compare happy frog to my soil, and The remaining clones will be well cared for for potential

The water only clones I will have go until they show a deficiency or reach about a foot tall and flower, the cared for ones I will veg and train to have branching branches before flowering

11. Hi Gus,

I Put all 10 in the baggie.

I also cut 6 Romulan clones to fill out the grow. (I hope I don't need that many.)

Did Not get to the dirt today. Too busy trimming.

Sterces.

12. Haha after laying dormant for weeks... The thread comes to life! :smoke: can't wait for this...

13. Cant wait to see what you guys do with this! Wish i could join:( thought my grow would be closer to done than it is but I decided to veg a bit longer than originally planned..

14. Well, DG, Gro Bros and City, here's what I'm doing with this, for now: ABORT.

I started worrying today about not seeing cotyledons yet--my past couple of grows it always took 24-36 hrs for them to appear. I passed 36 hours around noon today. Blue Moonshine was poking up, and carefully looking at one God Bud seed under the big lighted magnifier I could see the radicle popping out...whew! but as I sat and watched, there was something else ..... talk about a living soil, this whole soil was moving! with mites! a gazillion mites :eek::eek::eek:

I checked all the pots and yes, everything with my "new" soil 5.0 had the truly living organics alright, including a huge load of mites chomping down on everything else. So far as I know yet, none of the moms or other older soil plants in the room have them, but more and I mean a lot more checking is in order.

Now I know Stankie for example is into having macrophytes and even some types of mites in his soil, and he and LD have pointed out to me that there are thousands of species and only a few that are harmful to cannabis...they are organisms that are essential in the decomposition of organic material to make soil. But these look to me on fairly close inspection to be the same old fuckers, the two spotted spider mite, that I had a little invasion of early this summer when I brought in a couple perennials from a garden shop and stupidly put them in my indoor grow room for a couple of days. I fought that invasion and seemed to have expelled them from my mothers. Apparently, though, they stayed in the soil of some plants from that era, and when I recycled, I did not kill them off. :eek: Nunha, I apparently fed them lots of happy calories, good wine, I put on the Barry White tunes and they started fucking like...whatever mites fuck like. Fuck.

So anyway, I am in red button abort/lock down mode. I checked my giant bin of recycled soil and yep the whole thing is rock and reealing with mites. I will pull all the plants with this soil and dispose of them, then try some chemo/bio controls on the soil bin. Which I expect will take a week or more just to see whether it's possible to kill off the mites without also destroying hte whole batch of soil.

At any rate, a sad and surprising quick end to my search for God Bud! I will be back on that, but I don't know when...first things first.

By the way, I am planning soon to get a microscope and start looking deeper into exactly what is in any given tea or soil that I am using. I am taking this as a big kick in the butt to make me get on with that effort. The problem here is that I rushed to get that just converted soil into this grow on the calendar's basis, not on the basis of careful observation and testing. I basically put my hands in it and sniffed...smelled ok, I just didn't bother to notice that I had probably just huffed a few hundred spideys. never again...and I hope I can control the damage....

15. Marapa,

Top dress your soil with neem seed meal and water it in heavily. Spider mites like it dry, while soil mites like it moist. If you can see the mites moving in the soil with the naked eye, they are probably soil mites.

It's pretty hard to see a spider mite in the soil with the naked eye. I have pots that when watered, you can see literally thousands of soil mites coming to the surface writhing about. Little tiny white dots just doing the shimmy.

Hope you get it figured out bro,

chunk

16. Thanks Chunk...I just ordered the neem meal (cake), something I'd put off for too long. I soaked the bin pretty well, at least the top six inches of soil, with water + azamax. When I get the neem meal in I'll do as you suggest.

Meanwhile I've been doing some reading on mite varieties and had decided just to hold off taking any more action until I get a more definite read on the mite species involved. So your message is music to my ears...white dots doing the shimmy sounds a lot like what I was seeing. :smoke:

I'll be refining my eyes and what I look for in the soil before using it--I'm picking up a microscope in the next couple of days.

17. Good to hear your getting things taken care of, u scared me there! Not as bad as it scared u I'm sure tho I'm sure! I had a scare a while ago from a kind of springtail, looked like tiny little termites that balled up and bounced when I watered but they were harmless. Yeah some mites are beneficial and actually a sign of healthy soil, specifically ones that have big domed over antennae they look like oversized classic dust bunnies

18. #118 Stankie, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    If your recycled soil has no living tissue (growing plants) it should be very difficult for mites that feed on living plant tissue to survive.

My soil has very fast moving, brownish/red colored mites. When I move soil in from the garage for a clone/seedling, the eggs seem to hatch with the moisture, because there is always an explosion of these mites. When I first noticed them, I freaked the f out. To me they looked like the bad kind of spider mites.... After freaking for a bit, I remembered seeing them also in my worm bin, so I knew they were in there. I also knew there was no living plant matter in there, so I was pretty certain they were not the bad kind, unless that kind somehow got into the soil in the garage. They are everywhere. Crawling all over the soil, the plants, and the sides of the pot and saucer. I got really stoned and watched them for a bit. They just seemed to be 'exploring'. Just walking around. I kinda talked myself into knowing they should just be the kind from the worm bin. After a few days went by, there was never any damage on the leaves. No nests, no mites hanging out on the plant matter, no white spots. Every now and again, I would see one walking on the plant. Just exploring. After a while, their numbers significantly dropped off, and I no longer see them.

I think natural processes took care of them. When I moved the soil in from being recycled, where I usually leave it pretty dry on the moisture scale, the moisture level went up. Since the soil was more wet with me watering in plants, conditions were perfect, the eggs hatched and there was a sudden explosion of them. After a few days of not enough food, their numbers decreased to where I hardly see them anymore. They hang out down in the soil, where their food is (which I assume is the slow moving blob alien looking white mites.)

What I'm trying to say is that even though I have never had seen a spider mite on my entire property, I still freaked out when I saw the ones in my soil. Anyway a little more into my story. I always mix neem meal in, but that is for the gnats. I also have never had the bad kind of spider mites on any plant, anywhere on my little city lot (that I know of).

Hope that helps somewhat.

EDIT: To be honest, I now consider them my 'predator mites'. And also their presence to be a good thing.

My soil also has the white mites. I'm fairly positive they are beneficial decomposers, but I do notice some always around the base of my stalk at soil level. They don't look to be causing any damage at all though. I kinda talked myself into believing they were 'cleaning'/eating microbes either near or on the stalk. I have nothing more than 'think' though.

19. Hi Guys,

Ccostal,

>>I had a scare a while ago from a kind of springtail, looked like tiny little termites that balled up and bounced when I watered but they were harmless.

Had the same thing. Too much water as it turned out. but we can safely say we know they type of panic an infestation (apparent) causes.

Marapa,

I hope you are getting over the shock of what goes on in organic gardening. Good thing we have guys like Stankie around to keep us from full blown panic. It seems like you are still in. But just to be sure; are you?

I just dropped a bundle on some T5 florescent lights to veg my God Bud babies under.

One small problem. I put them in the bag Saturday and NONE have popped yet.

Another couple of days and I am going to be pissed.

Sterces

20. Hi Sterces,
    interesting about the delayed pop...that was what triggered my close look yesterday, that then triggered my panic attack. It's actually comforting to hear you saying they are slow for you...because, as you may recall, I didn't get my seeds in a breeder pack. ANd I was starting to think, hey, maybe I didn't get even get God Bud seeds after all, but rather something completely different than what Sterces got. Perhaps I did get the same beans and they just have thick shells that take awhile to pop. I hope so :(

I will stay in as long as I can. I am heartened by what Chunk, Stankie and LD had to say on the mites, but the facts remain that the mites I have are clear to white (like the two spotted ones, at least juveniles), they are still in what I can only describe as a population explosion, and unlike Stankie I HAVE had the bad guys in my grow, although only a tiny outbreak, thank god. Above all I do not want to threaten the fifteen or so mums I now have happily hanging out right above where the GOd Bud seedling space was...

and will be. I decided this morning to drop the other five God Bud seeds and another Blue Moonshine (2 actually) into pre-soak. My plan is to put them in cups (not smarties like round one) with my safe soil this evening, cover them with a humidity dome and on a seed mat, and hope they give me a fresh start. Unfortunately then I have to leave for awhile and deal with the great outdoors, where I don't know what I will find, but I hope it's a version of all that trimming you have been doing. ;) Then when I get back to the indoors in a few days, I hope I'll have some germ'd God Buds and Blue Moonshines AND that I will then have a soil 5.0 that has settled down a bit and is ready to receive young seedlings.

I hope yours pop well before then. If they don't, and especially if mine then also don't by early next week, we will have a bad story to tell on VSB....:(