God and Free Will

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by chipcago, Nov 11, 2006.

1. In light of many of the recent threads I've seen posted member rwilliams, I've become quite intrigued. I understand that most of us here at the city don't believe in "god," or a higher power.

however, assuming there is this "greater being" that people seem to "find..."

i believe that it understands free will- rwilliams posts, saying "god told me not to smoke" or "i don't know if god wants me to fuck that bitch" and seriously- god has nothing to do with it. it can't tell you to smoke, or not smoke, or fuck bitches, or slice someones throat.

Reminds me of back in the day, when that whole "witchcraft" think was all about. It was believed that witches could give you hell as much as they want- But they couldn't make you do something you didn't want to do- like kill someone (or perhaps, stop smoking or fucking bitches)

this thread's more about my concern for rwilliams rather than god and free will.

I worry that if you continue to listen to what "god tells you," you'll end up making a mistake.

"oh, god told me to hang myself in the garage, so i think i will."

cheers, gc.

2. I hear ya sorta, should make it mroe clear though :)

3. Just watch Bruce Allmighty :p

4. If one wishes to form a true estimate of the full grandeur of religion, one must keep in mind what it undertakes to do for men. It gives them information about the source and origin of the universe, it assures them of protection and final happiness amid the changing vicissitudes of life, and it guides their thoughts and motions by means of precepts which are backed by the whole force of its authority.

- Sigmund Freud
    A Philosophy of Life

[​IMG]

5. I believe in God. I also believe people have free-will. I also think that many who claim that God tells them what to do are mistaken. If/ when God did actually try to intervene and persuade someone, they would still have the free-will to ignore it. Ultimately, the things we do are our choice.