Gnats

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Windlizard, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Hey new to these forums, have learned agreat deal in short time. Used to grow 25 yrs ago, have been amazingly lucky, with care, with an outdoor grow brought in. Gnats!! How do I get rid of em. 5 plants in soil, buds at various stages, smaller popcorn, bigger golf balls.

2. Getting rid of the adults is a snap: simply give them a sticky yellow surface to land on, and within a few days you'll have enough dead adults. The larvae are a bit trickier. The first step toward getting rid of them is to starve your plant of water for a few days, letting the top layers of soil dry completely. Larvae cannot develop in dry soil, though they can survive a drought by suspending their development. Don't worry about killing your plant; it takes serious dedication to kill most marijuana plants from underwatering, while overwatering can kill them very quickly.
    Once the soil is dry, mix 1 part hyrogen peroxide(H2O2) solution with 4 parts water. Use 3% solution, which you can find in any drug store or in the hygiene/medicine aisle of a chain grocery store. You can use a stronger solution if you change the water mixture appropriately, and don't be too concerned with proportions; it would take a very high concentration of H2O2 to hurt your plants. Just make sure you buy pure H2O2 with no chemical additives! Hydrogen peroxide is often sold as a topical disinfectant, and things that are good for your wounds may not be so healthy for your plants.
    Water your plants as you normally would, using the hydrogen peroxide solution and taking care to get good coverage of the entire top layer of soil. Use a spray bottle if desired. The soil will fizz for a few minutes after application; this is natural. The gnat larvae die on contact with the H2O2. After a few minutes the fizzing stops and the H2O2 breaks down into oxygen molecules (which your plants don't mind) and water molecules (which your plants love).
    Congratulations! You've just successfully treated your fungus gnat infestation. Monitor the gnat population for a few days with sticky cards, in order to make sure you've got them all. Make sure not to overwater, and consider sometimes adding a little hydrogen peroxide to your daily waterings--in my experience, the plants react well to this little treat.

job done.

all the best bud:smoke:

3. Thanks Motorhead, notice the differemce already. Have since added a CFL to fill in from below. Hope to see results in s few days. My biggest issue now is lamp coverage with the various sizes and bud stages, but it will all work out. Smoked some of a branch broken accidentally, alittle harsh but no doubt about the power, whooa! Sounds, tastes like not enough cure time yet
    Stay under the radar
    Windlizard

4. sorry over reading and that is a very good idea will try it soon everyone told me to try potatoe parts for a few days than throw them out. the nats should lay larvae on the potatoe and when you throw it away nats quit. (false) didnt work just sayin thou