Gnats in my closet

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Toastman8, Feb 24, 2013.

1. I was checking on my babies this morning and I saw a little gnat flying around in there. It was only one if it makes any difference. I saw one about a week ago but then didn't see anymore so I thought I was okay but now that I see another I'm getting paranoid. My question is what should I do to prevent an infestation developing? Or do you think stray gnats just wondered in

2. Get a no pest strip or something like that to hang in your grow space. It's the right color to attract the random flying insect and it helps in any infestation for sure.

3. I was talking to my roommate and they said they had an infestation before with their indoor plants(not cannabis) and had to toss two plants and had to move them from upstairs. Now I'm freaking out about an infestation :(

4. These help.
    I also simmer some hot peppers like habeneros and then spray my plants. It will cause any bugs to want to jump off them.

5. I had gnats bad too! One day I left a clear solo cup in my tent that had some left over molasses and water in it. The yellow color attracts gnats and they get in the mixture and die!! I leave a cup or two sitting in my tent and it keeps them down to a minimum :) try it and see. It will take a week before you really see a difference but u will see how many you catch. It's working great for me U have to change the water once a week bcz it will start to smell :) lemme know if this helps! :)

6. I'm going to go get some yellow sticky strips and ill try the molasses and water thing too! Figure I can't be too careful and want to try to catch these bastards before they take over. I've also been doing some more research and a lot of people use azamax( I think that's how it's spelt) and GoGnats as well as mosquito dunks. Do you guys know where I can get GoGnats or azamax?

7. Honestly I've never heard of those things sorry. I accidentally discovered my molasses and water solution :) it's super cheap effective and easy :) I was I frosted now it's just an occasional gnat and I canine with that :)

Attached Files:

8. The bug I saw was larger than those was it possible it was something else? :eek:

9. Citronella.......

10. After a trip to Home Depot I came back with the sticky paper, mosquito dunks, and neem oil. Hopefully all of those together will take care of it!

Also I tried to LST my plants today, if I posted some pictures in this thread could somebody tell me if I did it correctly?

11. I've read that a lot of store bought soil is already infested with gnat larvae, and moisture causes them to hatch. From what I understand, they shouldn't do much harm to your babies. By using any of the good ideas posted above, you should be able to keep it a minimal issue. Good luck:cool:

12. Sure post some pics and ill take a look :)

13. Well here are some pics of initial tie down yesterday and of them this morning

image-3354114820.jpg

image-1503566576.jpg

image-562230857.jpg

But back to the real problem, the gnat problem has now turned to infestation. Before I was only seeing one at a time when I just opened up my tent I noticed them flying around all over. Only one of them has hit the fly paper so far(worst fly paper ever btw).

Based on weight it seems like my babies need water tomorrow and they're scheduled for some nutes. My question is should I hold off until I get rid of the gnats?
    Also can I mix the neem oil with my nutes?
    On top of that I've been reading that 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with your water can help kill them as well as help prevent root rot in your plants and my pots have very poor drainage which I think is a contributor to the gnats. I was thinking of drilling some holes in the bottom of my pot but I am scared to damage my roots.

So could I mix my nutes and neem oil and hydrogen peroxide all together?

It's all out war on gnats at this point I'm keeping my babies in veg until I get rid of them. This is my first grow and I'm determined to make it a success. I'm on an extremely low budget and I have to buy a new exhaust fan and basically redesign my tent/closet set up.

14. Nobody has any suggestions?!?

15. I'm telling you.....molasses water give it a few days u will see a difference. What do u have to lose?

16. You're right I don't have anything to lose I just don't have any molasses. Also I read that they adults that you get rid of that way are not your real issue, it's the larvae in the soil they come from. That being said I sprayed my soil fairly thoroughly last night with some incesticidal soap and it doesn't seem to have done much. I think I'm going to give it another spraying soon cause the guy from the nursery said it might take a few times to get them all. Definitely going to get some molasses tomorrow

17. Your right the larvae is in the soil. But if you continue to kill the adults it cuts down on the eggs and pretty soon you hardly ever see a gnat. It doesn't have to be molasses. It can be any liquid that is yellow. It's the color that attracts them. Trust me :)

18. I have some yellow sticky paper hanging up and it hasn't caught very many :/

19. The liquid catches the light better than the paper and I think they like that more. I tried the yellow traps too and they didn't work for me either

20. Where should I place the cups in relation to my plants