Gnats- Harmful or NOT???

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Martano666, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Ok. I am using Miracle Grow soil. My plants are all doing great! (about 3 weeks into budding now)

From about 3 weeks into the grow, I noticed little tiny bugs in the soil. Nothing seems to be on the plants, just in the soil. I was looking up all sorts of bugs and couldn't figure out what they were. Especially since my plant didn't seem to have any visible illness or deterioration. The bugs look really tiny and orange-ish yellow. Then, i started noticing little flies that I THOUGHT were fruit flies. Again, these bugs don't seem to be eating my plants, so I didn't think they were a problem.
    I am pretty sure that they are actually Gnats. I am not positive, but I think so. People say that the Gnats larvae will eat the roots of my plants .... what do you guys think?? Do gnats eat plant roots? If my plant isn't showing signs of gnat larvae, then does that mean that the bugs couldn't be gnats??? Or maybe they are gnats but they are only 'slowly' killing my plants, which would explain why I don't notice any problems?

-there is NO yellowing of leaves
    -No spotting
    -healthy growth in plants [daily]

You might be wondering what I am complaining about then. Well, I am just being cautious. Maybe someone is gonna tell me that my plants WILL die for sure if I don't get rid of these bugs.

So...what do you guys think???
    Is it gnats? or gnot? lol
    One thing for sure....they are driving me gnuts!!! lol.:D

2. Im pretty sure i have the same thing you have. And everything ive read says they are fine. they are very common in house plants. Just dry out your soil and you will fuck up their habitat.

3. ok. I have read that the actual full-grown gnat flies aren't harmful, but just their larvae in the soi:confused:l.

Anyone else???

4. just get some fly srips and get different brand of soil next time. rhey seem to come in the soil

5. I have some two week old plants in Miracle Grow and also have little white bugs crawling in the soil. Is it safe to dry out the soil with seedlings?

6. Well I have had gnats within the whole first month of my veg growth. I heard that they are just eating decomposing matter. Seems like gnats come very common within mirical grow. i added another two inches dirt and they seemed to die. as i know they didnt leave cause i didnt see any leave my pot xD well try it and good luck and also about drying out soil with seedlings in it, you can and your plant will still come out very sexy :D

7. i have fungas gnats now. we also have a soil bug that seems more and more like the larva but idk. we use sm90 and purge to kill them in the soil. first they're white, after sm90 they start to go grey then black and die.

problem now is i don't have any more purge and these gnat bastards are getting out of hand. i can't find any yellow sticky traps ANY FUCKING WHERE around here so i might make some.

8. Well the best advice i could give u is too transplant the whole thing- encase it with coco coir in larger pot and treat with sm 90 and hand up a pest strip you should be able to stop them in 5-10 days , yes they will eventaully start to damage ur roots severly also soldier ants are quite helpful to let out on your plants they will raid all the larvae they can and always go back to the colony too best friends a vegging plant could have

9. i get gnats all the time i have alot of house plants. and yes they the flies dont hurt anything its the larve. they dont really seem to hurt more mature or bigger plants its when they infect small plants (babies) if you get them on a new plant or clone you might notice that the baby is looking good but not growing this is from gnat larve. to get rid of try go gnats or take ffilters off used cigs and push pencil holes into your soil and stick a nicotine soaked bett in each hole evertime you water a little nicotine gets released wich will make all gnats in the way not able to breed and after the last of them hatch they should go away. i like go gnats but they both do the same thing stop breeding