GNATS! cinnamon??

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Keep It Green, May 27, 2010.

1. I have a gnat problem! I heard sprinkling a little bit of cinnamon on the soil will kill them. will it harm my plant?? if so whats some easy methods to get rid of them? please help!

2. i read you can use insecticide wipes to get rid of gnats. wipe around the edge of the pot and then put the wipe in the pot under the plant.

i hope this helps!

3. hmm if cinnamon doesnt work ill try that!

4. You can put a peeled slice of potato on the top of the soil and it will attract larvae up to it. Just pick it up and look under it after a day or so and you should see some larvae that you can pick out.

You should also buy some of these yellow sticky card traps to catch the adults. Put a couple near your plants, the yellow attracts adults and they get stuck and die, without using poisons!

[​IMG]

I think a layer of sand on the top of your soil will suffocate the larvae as well, if you wanted to try that.

5. that sounds good too. except for the sand part cuz im sure it would make a mess haha