Gnat problem!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by juniornac, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Im growing indoors in my closet and i only have one plant. Well today when i when to water it i saw a few gnats flying around it. Its not bad right now but im pretty sure its gonna get worse. Im not taking action right now but when my plant get 12" tall and i switch it to 3 gallon pot what should i do to get rid of these rat bastards?

Ive done some research and my plan so far is

1. Get a bowl, fill it with vinegar and dish soap, let stand next to plants (to drown em)
    2. Mix some Hydrogen Peroxide with my water mix one day and water my plants with it (I read that this kills the larvae)

is this good?

2. Ladybugs eat all sorts of bugs and the larvae, so simply find them outside or around the house and stick them in the pot of soil. They will eat it all they are great. Also the gnats cant get to your plant if you got a good fan breeze going on it (makes it tough for them to fly.)

3. i got this big ass fan on my plant, that explains why the gnat wasnt trying to fly away when i was trying to smash it with a poker chip lol

4. yeah you'll b ok man. you know about the C02 generators? its really easy to make and cheap, it gives your plants the air it needs.. Google DIY CO2 generator and look for a mixture like this

2 cups sugar
    4 cups water
    2 tablespoons active yeast
    in a 2 liter or something.. that makes c02, then just put straws in the soda cap and seal it.. you'll need to add more sugar once the yeast eats it all, but 2 cups should last 3 days or so. Place the straws as close to the plant as possible, They will love it. It will smell like beer if its working.

5. I like using this trap it works well!

1 - Two liter soda bottle
    2 Cups apple cider vinegar
    2 Cups Sugar

Cut the top off of the soda bottle about three-five inches from the top and discard cap.
    Fill the soda bottle with the vinegar, and sugar.
    Flip the top portion of the bottle upside down and tape it to the top of the bottle so the cap end opening with the threads is facing down.
    Fill the bottle the rest of the way with water about 1 inch from the threaded end.

Voila a knat trap that works really well. It should resemble a minnow trap when your done.

6. so i take like a knife or sumthin, put a hold in soda cap, put a straw in there? and do i put it next to my plant?

7. yah put a hole in the soda cap just big enough for the straw, try to tape around the straw for a good seal. I will repeat to not tape the cap on cause u need to take it off to re-add sugar. Try to get bendy straws so you move where you want. Tilt the top of the bottle onto the side of the pot and put the straws that come out as close to the leaves as possible, without obstructing the light. Look at early pix in my journal (from before the big showdown with my neighbor lol) to show how i had my little one setup. Here's a Link

8. i checked on ur grow, is that a can ur using for the co2?

nice plants btw

9. no its a 1 liter water bottle :) i just used silver duct tape on the cap part.

10. ahh ok, did you decrease the amount of ingredients? (i.e. instead of 2 cups of sugar u used 1 cup of sugar?)

11. yeah I downsized it like that.