Gnat Problem

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by darc, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Hey everyone I recently moved my plant into a new pot and into my grow room. I recently noticed gnats flying around. I also saw some larva in the soil at the base of the stem. I made a apple cider trap and got a fly trap stick thing at walmart. I am planning on transplanting it tomarrow and covering the top soil with sand. Any other suggestions of what I should do ? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. [quote name='"darc"']Hey everyone I recently moved my plant into a new pot and into my grow room. I recently noticed gnats flying around. I also saw some larva in the soil at the base of the stem. I made a apple cider trap and got a fly trap stick thing at walmart. I am planning on transplanting it tomarrow and covering the top soil with sand. Any other suggestions of what I should do ? Thanks in advance![/quote]

Sounds like you've nailed down the first steps of preventative maintenance. There yellow gnat traps that work well too!

Keep an eye out for unusual yellowing on the leaves, or very slow growth. It may be an indicator you have gnat larvae at the root level.

I highly recommend Azamax. It is good for foliar spraying gnats/mites, as well as root drenching.

3. From a past thread....

Just remember, killing the adults is all fine and good, but they aren't the ones doing the damage... and they only live 5 or so days with their wings, anyhow! Killing and deterring them is a good start...

But their young, which they each produce by the hundreds, live for weeks at a time at that stage, devouring your root system/s!

Just when you think the adults are all gone, your plants continue to suffer, then suddenly you'll be hit with wave, after wave of new gnats! So you need to be sure you treat your medium and provide a powerful barrier, as well.