gnarly boil on my back?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Agalloch, Jun 17, 2009.

1. I've had boils before, nothing too major... but this is the second time I've had a HUGE fucking deep under the skin boil on my back. First time I got one it was on my shoulder, and it was a bump that had been there for years but had never caused problems. One day it just swelled up and started hurting like hell. I did some reading and figured it was a lipoma, some sort of benign tumor that appears under the skin. However, for shits and giggles I applied drawing salve and a bandage over night and the next day this thing 'popped' for lack of a better word, and all kinds of unspeakable blackish nasty shit came out. After that it healed right up and I put the terrible chapter behind me.

Now I've got another, similar thing near the middle of my back. It's about the size of a golf ball, it's deep under the skin (deeper than a boil/pimple) and is causing me all sorts of pain.

It looks like it will soon 'pop' like the other but I just want to know if anyone has had any experiences with this sort of deal and what it is?

I've noticed that both times, a few days before it swells up and becomes painful, the spot itches like a bug bite. I considered it could be a spider bite, but I'm doubtful now.

2. Do you live in the South? That sounds a lot like a Brown Recluse bite. It will often swell up and then the bite will open exposing nasty flesh and crap. I suggest that you go see a doctor, especially if you live in the south and think its a spider bite. If it is a recluse bite it could end up getting infected.

My mom got bit by one a few years ago and the doctor told her to put a heating pack on it, it causes blood flow at the bite and spreads the poison all over the body so it doesn't fester. She was sick for a couple of days and that was all.

Does it look like this?

http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/charles-brown-recluse-7.jpg

That's a recluse bite in early stages

an untreated bite looks like this ( possibly what your shoulder looked like the first time?)

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenwalker/310873576/"]Spider Bite 2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

3. Nah, not a spider bite. I'm midwest, we have them but verrry rarely.

It's a bastardly boil from hell sent to cause me grief I guess.

Worst case scenario, I have to have a doctor cut it open.

4. A warm compress should help it come to a head (eew... thanks for the morning visual :p)

5. Yea ya gotta get that cut open.
    don't go to a doc go to a hospital.

6. This was difficult to read because it is very descriptive...However, yes...Go to the Urgent Care or something. You need to get this looked at by a medical professional.

7. Yeah sorry for the vivid description. The one on my back has went down in swelling, only pressure makes it hurt...

Have tried warm compresses, but this thing is deep under the skin. Will continue that and drawing salve for awhile, if no luck then I guess it's off to the hospital to have some bastard cut me open and then take my money for it.