Gnaaaaaaaaats nooooo

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by hibred, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Case of the gnats

Azatrol + pyrethrins isnt doing the job.

Hot Shot pest strip isn't slaying em down quick either

These be mutant gnats..

Any recommendations?

2. hydrogen peroxide 3% dilute it 1/6 with water. Saturate you plants and wait for it to stop fizzing. Then flush with water. Works great. I tried everything before I tried this. It was the only thing that worked for me. The peroxide will kill all the eggs. You might want to get some fly strips or a shallow yellow tray with some type of veg. oil in it too. That will take care of adults.

3. Try letting your pots dry out more. I seem to only get them when things are kept too moist. Go another day before watering, and see if they don't disappear.

4. Ive read about that potato slice method around, but I dont want to end up attracting more flies instead of catching the larvae, anyone have this work for them?

5. No, I didn't like the potato method.

I would say you need a multi-pronged attack. You have to break the life cycle of the gnat which is about a month long. Suffocate the larvae under a layer of sand, thus preventing the adults getting back to the soil to lay more eggs. Keep sticky traps about to catch any flying ones.

I haven't tried the peroxide plan as scone suggests, but I tried just about everything else. I've been fighting the fuckers for a year and sand is the only thing that has really helped.

These bastards look harmless, they're not. :mad:

GL. :)

6. Garlic cloves stuck in the top of the dirt, I have always heard of that and even had a bottle cap of garlic salt help before. Maybe growing a few garlic cloves in a cup in the same grow room. ? ? ?Let us know if you have any success.

7. They seem to appear outta no where I'd love to know how to destroy them also. :confused:

8. gnatrol worked great for me. I also heard putting sand on top of the siol will work too as it doesnt give them a moist entrance to the substrate, but I havent tried that just the gnatrol

9. Sand on the soil will suffocate the eggs.

The potato slice thing does work to attract the larvae, just throw it away after a few days.

Have you tried neem oil for the adults?

10. unsalted garlic powder sprinkled on the soil & plant, & let soil dry out between waterings

11. Yeah azatrol and neem oil pretty much are derived as the same substance, ill probably do the sand thing, is it hard to water with the sand on the soil though? does water even get through or is it okay?

I'm gonna bug bomb my area and put sand on top to suffocate. sound like a good plan? will the bomb hurt the flowers? im at like week 2 and a half of flowering

12. a bowl full of vinegar nearby attracts em and drowns em too.
    Its the moist thing like he said. Mine went away once my area dried up some.

13. BENEFICIAL NEMATODES: These microscopic insects will seek out and destroy over 230 kinds of soil dwelling and wood boring insects, including cutworms, armyworms, rootworms, weevils, grubs, fungus gnat larvae, and many more.

garden supply store_nematodes

This works.

14. Do you just add that to the soil Dewave or hows it used thanks good find:)

15. Nematodes Mixture H. bacteriophora, S. carpocapsae mix 5 mi

Found that's what's the best, this species of nematodes don't really move more than 2 inches which is perfect for handling the gnat larvae/eggs up top.

Only 16 bucks for 5 million - which should be mroe than enough
    "For best impact, you should apply 5 million per 2000 square feet of lawn (1 million for every 20' X 20' area)."Gonna order it and come back with how it goes

16. I would say you need a multi-pronged attack.
    ----
    -yep
    ===========

Suffocate the larvae under a layer of sand, thus preventing the adults getting back to the soil to lay more eggs. Keep sticky traps about to catch any flying ones.
    ----------
    -hehe .. sand HAH!! they crawl back in through the bottom of the pot....

try tis ... get some of the tape you have laying around and mount it to the side of the rim of the pot... sticky side up ... cut a plastic cup and pour some apple cider vinegar in.

some will stick to your diy sticky trap ... as long as you dap a little couple of drops of cider on the tape ... not all over as tape will no longer be sticky ..
    like a drop here and a drop over there etc ..;):smoking::hippie:
    =======

I haven't tried the peroxide plan as scone suggests, but I tried just about everything else. I've been fighting the fuckers for a year and sand is the only thing that has really helped.

These bastards look harmless, they're not. :mad:

------

dont use peroxide as your leaves get affected ... didnt like the reaction ...
    i still have 1 gnat here and there they will be there the whole grow if you dont prep first ... dont allow them to plant larva

use :

if you already have gnats flying around ... flush your soil ... dig out 1" of the upper soil and drop in sand ... do the tape .. and cider trick ....

potatoe just turns black .. and yes you do catch some larva .. but you need to leave that potatoe in there for days

17. Yeah there's a decent amount of gnats runnin around, I think I'm gona do the sand and cider trick along with a bomb to kill the fliers cause they need to stop flying from plant to plant

18. try the cider before the bomb ..

use a bowl put cider ... wait a day .. see how many you catch .... setup the diy sticky tape
    let us know how it goes .

19. To stop gnats going for the holes at the bottom once you block their route with sand, tape some tights/nylons/stockings over the bottom of the pot. They are fine enough that water drains thru, but gnats can't get in.

20. Nematodes, that is a pretty good idea. Thanks