Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Glycerin Cannabis Tincture recipe

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by topcheesehead, Feb 22, 2012.

1. You might find some at a craft store or an independent pharmacy. Or just use a small bottle you have around the house with a separate dropper to dispense.

2. Only bottle I found at Walmart is a big ketchup bottle. And my other bottles don't have lids. Lol. Ill just have to make 2 stops

3. I just pulled mine out of the crockpot after hunting down a dropper bottle I found a local pharmacy that would sell me 2 of them. Hopefully I did this all right. It's cooling now I didn't flavor it yet as I'm looking for flavors that are safe for my e-cig. It smells horrible and I tasted a little that got on my fingers n tasted horrible hopefully I did it right.

image-299377830.jpg

image-3123786366.jpg

I used half a gram to half a oz of glycerine.

4. That does seem to be a little light for potency but I don't know anything about those cartridges. Even if it's not real potent this time, you'll be able to check out the process for future use and the next time just use a higher ratio. Good luck with it.

5. This was a test run I guess you could say. It smells horrible and tastes like it smells. I need to add flavor to it still. Hopefully it worked right tho. I adjusted the amounts for the stuff I had so it should be the same as the 1:1 ratio.

6. #26 deathtodogma, May 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2013
    So I foolishly read one recipe and just went for it without doing proper research. I may need my fellow tincture maker's help, here. :eek:

So I didn't have a glass jar and I knew nothing of the crock pot method at the time. Here is all I did:

1. As I had no glass jar, I used an empty Glycerin bottle instead.
    2. I added 1/8 oz. of dank nugs broken up into shake and mini budlets to the empty bottle.
    3. I poured in enough Glycerin to completely soak the herb plus a little extra to cover it with a little bit of just glycerin at the top (trying to keep it potent).
    4. I gave it a nice shaking/swirling. It looked good and mixed well.
    5. I came back an hour later to find most of the glycerin sitting on the bottom and most of the herb floating on top of it. So I shook it around again.
    6. So now I am on day two, planning to wait 30 days.

My plan is this:
    I can't use the crock pot method. I live in a house of people who don't smoke and don't even know I do every day (outside). My plan was just to soak the broken up herb in the glycerin for 30 days, giving it a good couple shakes a day. Then, after 30 days, I plan to strain the liquid through cheese cloth into a bottle.

My plan is to use this in an electronic cigarette. I make my own eLiquid and I usually use about 70% glycerin so I'm hoping this will be a great way to vaporize some THC.

I did not "decarbonate/decarbonize" (or whatever the term is) the herb before I added it to the glycerin. I just mixed the two and planned to wait a month. I used 3.5 grams of herb and about 2 ounces of Glycein.

WILL THIS WORK? Do I need to add more Glycerin?

7. What happens if I skip the crock pot and just let it sit for a month, shaking it twice a day?

8. Theoreticly speaking....
    Heat up your weed and glycerin using double boiler method for 30 minutes.
    Pour hot weed and glycerin into a good quality thermos flask you can heat up the inside of the thermos flask with a hairdryer before pour in your mix. This will minimise heat loss for the 12 hour period.
    Keep in thermos for 12 hours....shaking the flask every hour or two.
    Then pour the miixture into back into your double boiler and heat up for another 30 minutes.
    Pour back into the thermos flask and keep for 6 hours shaking the flask every hour.
    Strain and enjoy.

Any thoughts on this process?

9. if you're extracting using a cold process like butane, etc then decarbing is necessary. Decarbing is merely applying heat to convert THCA to THC.
    Using hot methods like the double boiler method, no decarb necessary as the heat from the process will decarb your weed effectively and extract at the same time.

10. Hmm just how potent can a glycerin tincture be compared to an alcohol tincture? For some reason i always thought alcohol could probably hold alot more cannabinoids in a smaller volume than glycerin due to glycerin being so thick.

Also, i had no idea alcohol couldnt be absorved under the tounge.i always add honey to my alcohol tincs after reducing to cut down on the burn, then i hold it under the tounge and swish it.

11. It's not going to get as potent as an alcohol tincture psychoactively. It's not a really good solvent for recreational purposes but can be good medically, especially for medical users who don't want to get high. The OP is wrong about alcohol not absorbing sublingually, plain ol' wrong. I personally put my GD in a shot glass of water and swish without the burn. Works well. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Interesting.i had a tincture come out today that was pretty neat.i made it with avb again and reduced it down ALOT , then added honey and a few drops of vanilla extract.i could feel it surprisingly well after just one dropper. however ive noticed that all my avb tinctures never last long and are more sedative than normal ones and this one was no different.i cant help but wonder if that has to do with what you said about avb being barely if any of the way decarbed.think i should go ahead and decarb the avb in the oven 1st or would that start breaking down the cannabinoids that were potentially converted even further into cbn?

13. Yeah, mine turned out like crap and I even steeped it for 6 months, shaking it and all that.

14. It won't hurt it. It would be the same as a standard decarb. The heat from vaping doesn't last long enough to do the job in most cases. The THC is one of the quickest to be vaporized and many of the other cannabinoids can be left behind and that may be why it's more sedative. That will depend on the heat level used for vaping. Most folks that I know who make an avb tincture use it for sleep.

I save my tincture leftovers and it's similar to avb in potency and sedative effect and needs heavy reduction. Those compounds are the ones left behind the most. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. So that was a waste of 6 months, huh? That's a drag. :mellow:

• Like Like x 1