global warming

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by grass man420, Jan 18, 2011.

1. #1 grass man420, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
    Hi all. we can clearly see global warming is starting to grip our planet with it's warm greasy polluted hands yet we are doing nothing to stop it. there is undeniable proof of this. click link to see more proof - Photos of Melting Polar Ice Caps | Global Warming Siren . sure companies are becoming slightly more environmentally conscious but i think that is more for business rather than them actually caring. i.e. nestle water bottles have 22% less plastic in their lids. weather patterns are becoming more eratic and will continue to become more and more eratic every year until the global warming process has begun being reversed. why is no one doing anything about this? it surely cant be that hard to fix. i think step 1 is to come up with a schematic to safely and efficiently convert all fossil fuel engines into using some other biodegradeable fuel such as hemp or hydrogen. however oil companies are getting in the way of this because they will lose money if no one needs their oil. it really fucking pisses me off. something truly significant must be done to stop this from continuing before it's too late.

Attached Files:

2. Prepare yourself for an extreme amount of skepticism and denial from a number of posters on this forum. Also be prepared to be called a 'sheep' or some variation of the term.

3. Howcome? if some one doesn't believe in global warming then i feel sorry for them because they cant accept something even when presented with facts.

4. I believe in global warming and I also believe we are coming off of the tail end of an ice age and the planet SHOULD be warming.

Also, I think it'll be great for plants around the world to have the extra co2. Maybe the oxygen saturation of the atmosphere will be higher as well eventually due to increased vegetation metabolism.

Basically my opinion is, "Go global warming, go!"

We can finally get the world back to the kind of climate we had during the Jurassic.

5. facts don't matter when you have a strong opinion:p

6. I'm not sure what to believe with global warming, but i know one thing, if the earth is warming it has nothing to do with us humans.

Like fatkat said, the earth was much warmer back in the Jurassic period, and there were no humans around back then with our carbon emissions and fossil fuels to warm the planet up.

The earth goes through warming and cooling cycles, it always has and it always will, and i really don't think theres anything we can do to stop that.

7. Yes but we're rapidly speeding up the process through mass pollution and other things, which disrupts the natural warming process and thus has negative consequences.

8. #8 moose420, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011

I'm pretty sure thats never been proven...i remember hearing a fact that something like 186 billion tons of CO2 enters the earths atmosphere every year and only 6 billion tons is from human activity....seems pretty insignificant to me.

The amount of C02 a volcano puts out from erupting would take humans decades to put out, trust me i seriously doubt we are making any significant difference.

9. This, but I personally believe the idea of the weather seasons will get harsher.

10. I just wanna point out that if we are speeding it up then the process is still natural, we are just making it take less time to get to the next stage. :p

I think it doesn't matter if it's real or not, people will only do so much unless there is an economic benefit for them. sad but true.

11. I don't believe in global warming.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpWa7VW-OME]YouTube - The Man-made Global Warming Hoax (Part 1)[/ame]

12. There isn't much you can do to offset a perfectly natural cycle. Water vapor is a little bit more important in the whole greenhouse effect, if I recall correctly.

Perhaps the governments of the world should put limits on the use of anything that produces steam. :rolleyes:

Or maybe people shouldn't be so worried about something that is unavoidable. Sure, recycle, get a green rooftop, etc. Those are pretty cool. Don't you ever, ever, ever, try to force anything on businesses though. As if American businesses don't have it hard enough (sorry if you're not American).

Oh, and food for thought.
    30,000 Scientists Sign Petition on Global Warming - by Diane Carol Bast - Environment & Climate News

13. Earth moves in cycles.

What GRIPES ME, is that DIRTY ENERGY Corporations can get away with polluting the lives of others, as if the forests, lakes, and oceans aren't affected by pollutants.

14. exactly.

Not to mention the phases the sun goes through. The frequency and activeness of sunspots have been increasing as a 70 year cycle is ending. More energy is being released from the sun, and in turn reaching the earth.

Radiation from the sun OR some extra CO2? which do you think is having more of an impact?

15. How about BOTH?

CO2 is a greenhouse gas, along with Methane. Methane is being massed produced from our precious mass production dairy and chicken farms.

Excess heat is causing the radical weather patterns. The least we could do is try to stabilize it, no?

16. Please post back when you have something credible like the antarctic glaciers melting, or something else that could cause preventable disaster. The Arctic Ocean fluctuates throughout the year.

17. To be fair, I've only heard 1 story about how a chunk of ice the size of RI broke off from the ice shelf a year or two ago. That and most people could find plenty of evidence of glaciers that have melted well beyond what anyone that lives or has been around them for a long time has ever seen. There's several TED video's of researchers that have been learning about glaciers for decades (by learning I mean live on or next to them and take constant measurements of them) and they all have visual as well as data evidence that the majority of them have melted well beyond what anyone has ever seen or recorded. (the recorded part is for the one's that generations of families have lived near).

The problem isn't if it's real or not it's that we have no idea how far is too far. We know that it will happen (there is plenty of evidence that it has happened naturally many times before), the only deciding factor is if it will be within the decade or within a generation.

Of course I live in Texas with plenty of land to grow our own food and a well for water so I couldn't really care if it all goes to hell or not (I really do think it will but not just from this, people will have gone nutty long before this happens).

18. What i don't get is that even if the glaciers do melt how will that make the sea level rise significantly?? If i were too fill a glass with ice and then fill it to the top with water and then leave it and let the ice melt, the water wouldn't spill over the top. Why would it be any different when it comes to the oceans??

19. CO2 has NO effect on atmospheric temperatures. We produce a fraction of the CO2 released compared to volcanoes, cows, and decaying plant matter. This has already been confirmed by many scientists who aren't trying to push some stupid political agenda(global warming caused by humans).

[​IMG]

Why should we try to stabilize the weather? It's just a part of the earth's cycle. Temperature change is caused by the sun. Do you have any ideas how to control the sun? :eek:

20. Because there's much more ice than that. I know there are glaciers and ice sheets that are hundreds of feet above water.

This is the Perito Moreno Glacier, avg. height of 240 feet above water, goes to 600 feet below the surface
    Perito Moreno Glacier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]