Glo Rod

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by StayHigh v2, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Ive owned a glo rod for about a year.. have used the fuck out of it.

Anyways, Ive been smoking this super funk all day with my glo rod.. until the butane ran out. So I switch to my other method, matches ( anything but a lighter)

I thought FOR SURE that using a glo rod gave me way better flavor. Maybe it was just this one snippet of weed that packed a huge taste or it was the matches burning the weed at a lower temp actually gave it a better taste. Anyways the use of the match produced a far better taste it actually had some juice to it.

Maybe the bud really did have a "sweet" spot haha. Still confused though

2. I have similar thoughts to this... Recently started using a glo rod. But I feel like sometimes it is actually too hot for the weed and it vapes too fast.. is that possible?

I feel like I'm combusting the bud too fast, thus not getting a great hit.. and when I switch to a hempwick.. my ability to milk the hit is far better.

Can glo rods be too hot?

3. you in fact are burning the bud too fast when you hold the wand on it for too long. Even when I use it compared to beeline or matches I feel like I get more smoke and a longer hit off using them. The rod just burns straight through the bud.. Its good for huge hits and I swore at one point it got me higher than using matches ( glo rod 1000+ degrees? vs open flame like 500-600? ) idk mannn but i think im gonna go buy a huge roll of beeline now

4. Yea Ive used matches in the past and the bud taste much better. Still a hassle at times, personally for me.

Yet to try a glo rod myself, thinking of getting one.

5. ive been trying to get one my lhs sells illadelph ones for 8$ but they were sold out the last 2 times i went in there :devious:

6. Man, I haven't been to a LHS in ages. There's too many here in San Diego so then im like :confused:

7. I am actually curious about matches...isn't using them harmful because of the sulfur content in the tip?

8. i wish i had that problem i got 4 in my area and 2 are shit only good for spare parts etc and one is 2 hours away

make sure its all burned off or cut the tips off and use a candle to light them

9. I hear people say that shit about sulfur. NAH man were just waiting for the match to flame up and burn for a second before lighting the rip. Therefore its just burning the cardboard and its tasteless

10. #10 Doobious Joe, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011
    A trick with the Glo Rods I learned is to tap the greens and turn the rod slightly to prevent it from just vaping everything in the bowl.

If you are heating the rod to the point that its glowing bright red for longer than a few seconds(like 5 max) its actually too hot! Try heating it up to the point you can just see it start to glow and immediately place the hot end into the greens and twist the rod and kind of bounce it up and down until the bowl cherries up and just keep pulling until you snap the bowl or you are ready to pull your hit...I noticed that any hit after the first Glo Rod hit usually has zero flavor and is pretty much ass...but my buddy still finishes his bowl...personally I just tap it out, unless I see greens left. Matches are okay but beeline is better! Get the thicker variety of beeline cause it has a bigger flame and burns much slower. You need to let the beeline burn for a second to get the wax to start to melt, as soon as you see it turning black going down the beeline just below the flame you can start taking rips with it...If you simply light it and start smoking with it, it will taste kinda waxy...

Glo Rods should be replaced after the start to chip and get that glossy look where it chips. continued use after this point, is akin to Russian Roulette with glass shards! It will shatter eventually and white hot glass shattering in your face or even hands is not fun...one would logically assume! I replace mine every two months, regardless of condition, just to be safe...