Glassblowing in Arizona (phoenix)

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by daesonn, Feb 21, 2010.

1. I don't know a terrible amount of information about glassblowing, but I did go and watch a Salt/Eusheen demo in tempe, AZ recently and felt the need to try the art. I have always been a creative person, but i've never had a passion for any art in particular. I don't know where to start, classes seem very expensive (though, maybe necessary), and i'm scared to buy my own setup and not know what i'm doing.

The pros to the situation are these
    -I have a couple friends who would pitch in on the setup with me so they could blow too
    -My father owns a nice workshop out back, with a variety of machinery including a Lathe. If I'm not mistaken, a Lathe is a very important part of glassblowing, and often limits blowers without one?
    -I have some money saved up, so i'm not dead poor, but I'd like to hear some opinions first.

So is anyone from my area around to help me out? that would be awesome! I hear from some locals that an apprenticeship might be my only chance. If thats the case, well all I can say is that I promise I'll learn all that I can, and improve as fast as I am capable.

Anything is helpful, and I'll respond immediately.

Thanks guys.

2. I think buying equipment before you've even tried blowing is an insane thought. You say you have money so if I were in your situation I would shell out the money for classes as opposed to possibly wasting a lot more cash.

3. I'd invest it at least some sort of classes or school, if only to get a reasonable idea of what you're getting yourself into.