Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

glass vs metal vs acrylic vs ceramic...

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by mess14951, Dec 12, 2008.

1. ok, ive heard that glass has the best taste and looks the coolest(well i know that!) but what about ceramic pipes? what about metal pipes? what about acrylic? i just want to know about these things cause i think ill be getting a piece soon (about time!)

2. ive only smoked outta glass and metal i say glass is better only thing i like better with metal pipes is they dont break easily. but glass pipes r fantastic they looks cool,taste ok,hit good

3. #3 NOTaPIE, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2008
    You don't have any extra taste with glass, while with metal you would. Acrylic is just what the tube is made out of, the bowl is usually glass or metal so whatever I said before would still remain true.

-Glass usually looks the best, although ceramic doesn't look bad either
    -Metal, or acrylic make for great travel pipes/bongs, because glass or ceramic can break rather easily
    -Ceramic I'd assume would be in the middle between glass and metal in terms of being breakable and taste. It being more durable than glass and also it wouldn't have that metal taste to it.

4. Glass: Good taste, looks the best, BEST CHOICE BY FAR.

Cermaic: Its better then both metal and acrylic, but its not the best piece. You can usually just get a glass piece instead considering these are so close in price. Cermaic isnt bad to smoke out of, but sometimes it feels fake. idk, cermaic is kinda like a knock off what to be glass but fails.

Metal: the only one of the list that changes the taste to a huge amount. Smoking a metal will give the weed a metal flavor to the weed. Most metal pipes are small and get really hot to the touch, and burn often. The only positives are that they are cheap, and come apart for easy cleaning.

Acrylic: No real upside or downside. Its not pretty, but as far as smoking goes they are pretty basic. Better then anything youd make on your own, but not as good as cermaic or glass. If your strapped for cash, they make good short term pieces.

5. oh, and then there's wood. what about that. it seems like it'd be pretty good...

6. I believe that glass is the best option. It really doesn't add a "flavoring" when smoking, as metal and such do.

7. dont forget stone peices
    they are nice too

8. Just get a nice glass spoon you won't regret it. :cool:
    Metal looks more plain and it heats up faster then glass.
    Acrylic no, unless you are looking for a cheap bong, in that case I would just get some acrylic tubing and a cheap downstem with bowl and make my own. Ceramic.. Eh I wouldn't buy a ceramic piece but it would be cool to make my own ceramic piece some day.
    You can get a nice, cool looking thick glass spoon for 20 bucks and you will get your money out of it. Go for glass IMO.

9. Regardless of whether I'm traveling or posted, I prefer to only smoke from glass. Metal pipes, as mentioned before, taste metallic and get hot quickly, if the entire pipe is made of metal. Acrylic pipes, while durable, just don't feel right for me. I can never seem to get the same hit as a glass bong, and most if not all acrylic bongs I have smoked, have been extremely difficult to pull. I don't mind ceramic pipes too much though. In terms of quality of smoke and durability, they are pretty similar to glass. The only reason why I prefer glass over ceramic, is because I enjoy to watch my milk, and it is easy to see when it is time to change the water.

10. I do agree that glass ones make for the best taste. However.... they are NOT my favorite for a couple of reasons: They break :-( They have no screen, and sometimes you inhale bud or ash. They also can't be packed then taken to another location and burned. You pretty much have to smoke it where you pack it & vice versa.

I just regularly use a metal one for convenience. I like that I can pack it up, put the lid on it, and go someplace with it in my pocket or purse without it spilling or anything. Also, they stop burning usually when you stop lighting and hitting, unlike an open bowl sometimes, or a joint always, that keeps burning. And the screen and design permits NO yucky ash or chunks or anything gets in my mouth! You just have to ensure that you stay on top of the resin issue. Or eventually you'll get a nice wet brown bubble of it in your mouth/ on your teeth!!!! Ick!

Also, some wooden ones with swivel tops are nice too, although I've never had one.

If stealth is the issue (as sometimes it is of course), I usually opt-out for the bowl (or the J) completely! I gotta go for the "dugout" one-hitter (that looks like a cigarette)! Those are seriously cool. I have a sweet one with a pic of John Lennon etched onto the wood!

Someone gave a shout-out for stone ones, didn't they? Those are pretty decent as well, but I've never owned one, so I don't know too much.

11. #11 pipesmoker2345, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
    Nonsense!  There is so much nonsense in the cannabis community regarding smoking materials that I just really can't take it any more.

I don't know exactly where the cannabis culture went wong or when it went wrong (likely young, impressionable, think they know it all smokers), but it's about time we fix it and get some things straight. 

First / Metal;  This idea that that metal (steel, aluminum, brass) impart some kind of off taste or metallic taste is absurd.  This is just not true.   I have smoked out of every substance imaginable and you CANNOT detect any kind of metallic taste when smoking with metal.  This idea is patently absurd.  Smoking with brass, anodized aluminum and steel is safe.  If you choose to not smoke with it, that's fine and is your choice, but it is exactly that, your choice.  Metal is a fine material to smoke if you so choose.

Second / Glass;  This idea that smoking with glass is hands down FAR SUPERIOR, is equally absurd.  Glass is a fine matrial to smoke with, but it isn't the superior smoking material that everyone jacks off over.  I've smoked with glass and it smokes just fine.  But, glass has it's problems just as ANY OTHER pipe material does.  I hear this; "I need to see the smoke".  If your choice is to see the smoke, then fine, your choice is being able to see the smoke. I like to see it sometimes too.  That makes glass a good choice for you.  But, it's kind of infantile and immature to suggest that because YOU like to see the smoke and YOU like to smoke with glass, somehow glass becomes superior.  Glass is a fine material to smoke with if you so choose.  FAR SUPERIOR?  No.  It's fine.

Third / Plastic and Acrylic;  This idea that smoking with Acrylic and some plastics is somehow inferior is also absurd.  If you choose to not smoke with acrylic, that is again, your choice.  It doesn't make acrylic in anyway inferior.  Some plastics are NOT SAFE to smoke with, this is true.  But, Acrylic, Polypropylene, some Acetal Copolymers, HDPE and LDPE without BPA and Phthalates are safe to smoke with.  Should you choose not to, that is your choice.  They are not inferior.  It is a personal choice.

Fourth / Ceramic | Porcelain;  Ceramic and Porcelain are becoming more and more common and I see no one beating them up here.  They are NOT SUPERIOR to metal, they are NOT SUPERIOR to plastic, they are NOT SUPERIOR to glass.  They are what they are.  They are generally safe to smoke out of as long as the clay and glaze is lead free and heavy metal free.  And most of them are.  Some that are made in high schools and in ceramics classes may not be safe, because those places are usually not interested in making safe products.  They are in the business of making cheap stuff and making cheap stuff available.  Smoking with ceramic and porcelain is generally safe and they are not inferior smoking materials.

Fifth / Wood;  Same deal with wood.  Wood is a fine material to smoke with if you so choose.  Some woods may not be safe but I cannot go into safe and unsafe woods here.  The point being AGAIN, wood is a fine choice for smoking materials and is a fine choice for smoking.  It is your choice.

A smoking pipe of any kind is just a tool used to combust a material for your inhalation.  We all like to do this with what we think is "STYLE".  I get it.  But, the fact is; SAFE glass. SAFE ceramics, SAFE porcelain, SAFE plastic (as long as it doesn't heat up), SAFE metals, SAFE woods are ALL fine choices for smoking.

I have smoked out of ALL of these materials and each have their own advantages and disadvantages.  I have liked and disliked all of them depending on the individual piece.  It isn't the material as much as it is the piece. 

There is also Briar and Meerschaum both commonly used for tobacco pipes.  Both are fine materials for smoking pipes.

So, all SAFE materials for making smoking pipes are personal choices.  Just like roofing materials for homes and buildings.  Some places and some people may like asphault shingles, some may like or prefer slate, some may like or prefer ceramic tiles.  It's what you like, and what you can afford. 

12. Really man? Reviving a 6 year old thread on a played out topic..

13. Is there some kind of time limit on threads?

14. No. I'm just wondering how you even come across a 6 year old thread on such a common topic.
    With such an opinion on it too, you must've searched for this specific topic.

15. LOL.  I was searching for this topic.  I just find people interesting.  I have a passionate mind and find it difficult to contain my passion sometimes.  :)

good post though.

fucking pot snobs are funny about pipes, all paranoid but have no clue if the weed was sprayed with bug spray.

17. EXACTLY DUDE!  Exactly... Thank you!

18. #18 invinciblejets, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
    Good post but you should have created a thread for it rather than revive this.
    Only thing I disagree about is metal. take a metal pipe and a glass spoon with the same bud they Will taste different unless you light it very carefully with hempwick or somthing .
    Some people don't care, I do
    but that's the best part we can choose what we want to smoke out of so can't we all get along!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..grabba dabba goo