Glass on glass bongs vs metal stem/cone piece?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by flblp, Feb 21, 2014.

1. After breaking my glass bong for the umpteenth time today , I have finally decided to try a new style of bong. Where I'm from (Australia) , bongs are almost exclusively the kinds with a metal stem and metal cone piece, with a "shotty" hole behind. I have yet to try or even see a glass on glass bong in real life. My question is , what is the difference between the two? What are the advantages /disadvantages of both ? Preferably someone with experience with both bongs could answer this . Thanks guys.

2. #2 glass666shogun, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
    In my experiences. Which I have many, when it comes to smoking tools. There's really no comparison between plastic/ glass bongs that come with a metal downstem. I HATE bongs that have a carb hole, or "shotty" because it never fails that either, myself, or someone using it, spills stinky Ass bong water everywhere. Glass on glass for me, has been the greatest invention since sliced bread. Better yet, since safe condomless sex! I will never, and I mean never, return to using metal downstems. They offer zero filtration. Are genuinely bad for your health, and look like shit. As someone who has been smoking for almost a decade, and has been purchasing bongs of all kinds for just as long. Theres nothing like taking a nice rip out of a fresh glass on glass piece.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Really it's like comparing apples to oranges for me. Yes I've heard the argument a thousand times "it still gets me high". Yeah that's great and all, but I prefer to blaze in style/ comfort. Would you rather drive a ford, or a lambo? Would you rather drink a $20 whiskey, or a $200 whiskey? Both get you from A to B. But only one does in style.

4. I have heard that glass on glass is a nightmare to try and find in Australia. So I suggest using the interwebs my friend. There was a fellow Australian on this very forum, not to long ago, who ordered up a mobious. And if memory serves me right, he received it in a few days. As for your bong breaking. I shed a tear for you. My suggestion, be more careful. Lol I've busted more glass than you can shake a stick at. Really really nice glass. At the end of the day, you must remember, glass IS breakable. But it's always worth it.

5. thanks for your reply , but still leaves me wondering. what exactly are the differences between the two? is one "smoother" ? which one is easier to clean etc?

6. Well one is better for your health. Over time heated metal (especially low grade metal) can cause you some problems. It affects the flavor of your cannabis. And yes glass downstems are smoother because to my knowledge I have never seen a diffused metal downstem. Unless someone made it... Both can be cleaned just easily as the other. Except it's easier to mare metal.

7. I could sit here all day telling you about the benefits of glass on glass pieces. They're simply better in every way. There's no comparison for me.

8. sorry if this sounds amateurish ...but i really have no clue how a glass on glass bong works. i only have the vague image of someone taking a hit and finishing off by lifting off the glass stem /cone piece thing...unlike how we do it by just taking your finger off the "shotty"...how does one take a hit exactly? does a glass on glass bong have a "shotty" hole as well?the cone piece on the glass on glass bongs seems much larger than the brass cones we use here.

9. and what do you mean by diffused?

10. and what do you mean by diffused?

11. Diffusion my friend. There are many, many, many kinds of diffusion. And percs that offer said diffusion. So for example metal downstems tend to be open ended. As in a tube that is completely open at both the top and bottom. They are referred to as "open end" or standard downstems. Now a diffused downstem has some form of perculation.

12. Standard downstem

Attached Files:

13. Diffused downstems. EHLE, HiSi, and Sheldon Black. More holes equals more bubbles = more diffusion/ smoother toke. Means you enjoy your herb more. And your bong doesn't sound like a back firing exhaust when you hit it.

Attached Files:

14. Is EHLE just a RooR ripoff?

Who Dat!

15. cool..think i will buy a glass on glass bong this time and try it out..

16. The bowl and the pipe both have reciprocal glass on glass joints. For example my Olympic is 18mm so the pipe has an 18mm female glass joint and any bowl or attachment I use on it has an 18mm male joint. The male and female joint form am airtight seal.

Just like with your bong you start by milking it, but rather then use a carb hole to clear it you simply remove the glass bowl. Removing the bowl lets more airflow pass through the down stem making it easier to clear the piece. To answer your question, no glass on glass bongs do no have carb holes.

The glass on glass system is better for a few reasons:
    -When milking the bong the glass on glass joint forms a more airtight seal.
    -All glass is inert and does not release any tastes smells or toxins when smoked out of like metal or plastic
    -Less chance of spilling bong water
    -Many people prefer to pull the bowl piece rather then to use a carb hole.

I would really suggest that you go with an all glass piece. You can buy it online from the grasscity store, aqua lab, or thehighroadsmokeshop.com

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. No. I've had an EHLE in the past and it was excellent quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. #18 MRCRONIK, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
    seems like they just copy all of roors designs

Who Dat!

19. My ehle doesn't look like any roor I've ever seen lol The downstem may be similar but that's about it.

20. another question, what's up with the cone pieces on the fully glass bongs being so big? from what i've been reading and seeing online , the cone pieces are way way bigger than what we normally use here. also , the hole in the cone piece seems much bigger. do i need to use a wire gauze thingy? or i should i just not chop up my weed as finely?