Glass has class , but wood kicks ass!

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by D. Forkleheimer, Mar 17, 2010.

1. #1 D. Forkleheimer, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
    Yes, I'm afraid I have an agenda
    Years ago wood dominated the pipe market, I'm doing my best to make a wood come back, and claim to be the best wood pipe maker on the coast, I'm talking non-traditional, not briar.
    As you can see from the photos, wood can be very colorful. You have smoke a wood pipe a bit different from glass, but after being broke in, a wood pipe will last for years.
    O.K. so glass is cool, and you can get a million different styles, but a wood pipe is more 'earthy', and has been used since the dawn of our time. A wood pipe won't break, and usually improves with age.
    The antler pipe is my personal unit, and has a turned ebony stem. It smokes great, you don't smoke the antler or the wood, which some consider a drawback.
    I have worked in heavy industrial jobs for over 30 years, and have arthritis so bad I can hardly function half the time. I now make pipes to supplement my income, and hope to 'fire up' more interest. Look up wood pipes, at the etsy handmade site, and look for mongo54's work, we do other one of a kind unique items also, like stash:wave: jars. I hope you enjoy the photo's, and give wood a chance!...... D. Forkleheimer

Attached Files:

2. ive had my share of wooden smoking utensils..lol but back then people wernt really making them as a mass produced item which is the focus of alot of pipe and bong makers now adays. in the end glass and acrylic will always be more cost effective then wood. unless you can make a name for yourself and sell one off pieces. i wish you luck. happy paddys day!

3. This is on a different forum, but its pretty awesome.

A nice worked wood bub, pretty unique!

I hope the owner doesn't mind me sharing this with everyone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. wood art is cool and all but i like seeing my hit :)

5. That is the nicest wood piece i have ever seen! And i also love wood pipes, my little bro had one but lost it. Im thinking of buying myself a nice wooden pipe soon. Keep doin what your doin man you got skills!

6. i'm going to start making wood pipes and selling them to the local headshop fairly soon
    just for a little extra cash and as a hobby

7. Id be down for a wood pipe with glass components. Especially the one pictured above, very sick.

8. i have always had a question about wood pipes. how do you clean them? Wouldnt iso soak into the wood? or do you clean wood differently than glass?

9. That`s some heavy wood!!!!

1 of my shops has a few still....................

10. you dont clean wood pipes just get out the resin and keep it clear...

my only pet peave about wood pipes is most of them are tobbaco pipes and the problem with that is the bowls are usally to big and you end up using up alot but with glass and others the bowls are smaller

feel free to prove me wrong because i would love that

11. id rather stick to my non burning, easily cleaned glass thank you very much.

but they look sweet, dont think im knockin the art, its nice ;)

12. Properly crafted and seasoned wood pipes don't burn. I love my glass just as much as the next guy but wood has a certain appeal too.

13. I love the first one. Nice simple design complemented by amazing grain and color contrast.

Is it made from cocobolo?

14. #14 tubro, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010
    OP: great pipes. +rep for you sir! I especially like the one in the 1st pic with the little stand. Very nicely done, elegant in it's simplicity.

I really have a soft spot for wood. Properly done I think wood has the ability to out-class glass. Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing. I really wish I had the talent for carving.

EDIT: I just looked at you etsy page. I'm really impressed! Added you to my favorite sellers. I really like your jars too.

15. Yes it's made from cocobolo, and as you know its beautiful wood, and makes a great pipe....D.F.

16. Hi, thats why I came up with my line of 'pocket torpedo pipes', 1/2 inch bowls, a compact design, in rosewood or ebony. They are also very affordable. I'll show some soon...D.F.