Glass cutting

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Blackmetalsmoke, Jul 4, 2011.

1. So I found this really cool glass bottle that I'm thinking about making into a bong. It's a Japanese soda bottle. I can't post a pic right now but can I use a dremel tool with a drilling attachment will it cut through the glass? The drilling end looks like a conical chunk of sandpaper.

2. nope. Diamond drill bit in water would work if done right and if it dosnt crack

3. as long as it's a glass bit
    [​IMG]

make sure your wear glasses/goggles and keep it under running water and be careful

4. Actually this can be accomplished by taking a short piece of tubing the same size as the hole you wish to make. Make two cuts into one end of the tubing in X. insert the other end in a drill and use lighter fluid as a lubricant. :smoke:

5. #7 Blackmetalsmoke, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Thanks dude. What kind of tubing?

6. Lighter fluid as lubricant doesn't sound like the greatest idea.:rolleyes:

7. Yeah I dont think lighter fluid is a good lubricant for anything.:smoke:

8. [quote name='Blackmetalsmoke']Thanks dude. What kind of tubing?[/QUOTE

Steel, Brass, Copper, Aluminum.

9. I thought your first post was a joke. This will not work, you need a DIAMOND drill bit... not a jank piece of aluminum

10. listen to smiley agent...

im pretty sure hes the only actual glass blower giving you advice...

11. I am not some young guy that is just spouting off. I have over 20 years in the hardware business. How do you suppose they cut holes in glass before there were " Diamond Bits & Hole Saws"? :smoke:

12. Yea if he has the machine skills and tools to do what you are asking of him to do out of steel, and even then its not gunna cut clean and will just crack the glass instantly. I dont know what this guy is saying but even diamond blades still crack the glass sometimes. Using a 20+ year older technique is just dangerous and a waste of time when you can get the blade for this purpose

13. #16 biggjohnson76, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2011
    To each his own. I am not going to argue for or against the tried and true techniques that I have used many times. I am merely offering a low budget, low tech, Old school way of accomplishing what the OP wanted to do.

14. The bit in the photo above is what I used
    It was called a dimiond spade bit for tile ceramic and glass
    You want to completely submerg it in WARM water
    And if possible use a drill press...
    When drilling you have to be very gentle but apply somewhat of a downward presure,
    Not enough and it breaks too much and it breaks... Try to test it first on a beer botte or something of the same glass thickness..

Mr. Duke

15. Thanks everybody. I'll try the tubing thing but if that doesn't work I'll just buy a diamond drill bit