Glass bubbler vs. acrylic bong

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by spagettimnstr, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hey everyone,

I'm going off to college soon and was wondering what you thought was a better investment. I'd probably spend around $70-80 on whichever I choose, so what do you think? Glass (probably hammer) bubbler, or acrylic bong? Or maybe a very cheap glass bong?

2. Get acrylic.

I dont know if your new to college, but you dont want anything in your room that you wouldn't mind losing right away.

Theres so many pieces of glass that in the description it says "if you want Dorm credit" or whatever, meaning, if you want to be the coolest guy on the dorm, or have everyone chill in your room.

But the more people around your shit, the more likely it can break.

No glass right away.

3. Thanks. I've basically ruled out a glass bong because at that price, anything would have to be very fragile. So it's really between the bubbler and the acrylic. Good point about the fragility of glass pieces. I've just heard that acrylic can smell terrible and thus isn't good to have in a small dorm room.

4. 70 bucks will get you a really heady bub. So you'll have a great looking piece, and youll still be able to bring it to other peoples places and shit without having to pack it up. Plus glass'll taste better

5. haha DUDE I just thought of something what if you outlined a spoon or bubbler in FOAM so that it wouldn't break if you dropped it!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :bongin:

6. get a chillum... i have one and it's the best smoking investment i've made (bought it for college). after i'm done smoking i just put it in my pocket and continue with my day (which after consists of getting food haha). anyway i still recommend a chillum assuming that you're living on campus

7. I have an acrylic right now and i would say it was a pretty good investment. It's been dropped 3 or 4 times and is virtually untouched. It would be a different story if it was glass. I have a glass piece but I only use it when I'm smoking by myself.

8. Get the bubbler. The bubbler will look cooler, hit better, is more portable, and it will last longer as long as no one drops it

9. I am saying acrylic here man, but I dont think there is such thing as a $70-$80 acrylic. lol...

Id take 40 bucks and put it towards the best acrylic u can buy. Then u got another 40 bucks for weed. :D

Also think about it like this. U need something that will work in a college atmosphere. U can pick from a HUGE variety of acrylic. Get exactly what size, style, color, etc... for 40 bucks.

Rather than spend 80 on glass that will probably be dropped, knocked over, stolen, confiscated, etc.. (who knows..its college).

Just my opinion though.

I own both custom glass and acrylic pieces. I think acrylic is hated on WAY too much on the internet.

Ohh...and my acrylic bong has lasted me over 13 years. :D

10. Do you find that the hits are harsh enough to justify buying an acrylic with ice catchers? They're a bit harder to find and more expensive but I'm thinking it might be worth it to counteract the harshness.

11. you dont even need ice catchers on an acrylic bong
    it can handle it down the tube since there is no glass downstem to break or any glass to perhaps crack

12. I dont think I have ever put ice in my acrylic, but if I wanted to I could. :D

Like footballer said, u really dont need ice pinches.

And hits out of an acrylic piece arent any harsher than hits out of a basic glass bong.

13. I think you could actually find a half decent glass bong of the Internet. Check out Black leaf they sell some decent 5mm glass at decent prices or a heady double bubble. Acrylic definitely has some positives to it also.

14. Bubbler all the way.

15. I'd just get a $30 glass spoon like some have said, or a chillum. Because in the dorms I wouldn't want to be caught with a bong or what have you, just to be on the safe side. And whats nice about a glass spoon, is that you can take it anywhere just as long as it fits in your pocket.

...Than just spend the remaining $40-50 on an eighth of some green.

16. I already have a $20 spoon, but I'm an athlete and I'd really like to have the effects of water-cooled smoke so that it's easier on my lungs.

17. #18 mjr18793, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    If your worried about the affects the smoke will have on your lungs and the odor then I would recommend the MFLB. It is also very portable.

18. he said 70-80$ budget. not MFLB status.

I'd recommend getting a bub man, honestly acrylic is just a waste of money. just be careful with your piece.

you can also get a pretty solid glass straight tube for 80$ off GC or maybe around at your LHS.

19. #20 mjr18793, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    A MFLB is roughly $100. I'm pretty sure OP can spend an extra $20 for a quality vaporizer. Its not like I recommended a SG or something lol.